Anyone else fed up with today's country music?

Status
Not open for further replies.
never understood the appeal of country....
In fact, in my youth i had this bumper sticker:

discinbreed.jpg

"My music" would be the 90's Grunge and alternative era.

that all being said, what did my nephew want for Christmas when he was 8 that this uncle was proud to get for him?
a Johnny Cash Cd.

It was some greatest hits type Collection that had just come out. I think it was this one, all I really remember was on Christmas Morning, when he ripped off the cellophane, and popped the Disc out, there under the Disc was the Classic Shot of Johnny Flipping the bird

Last edited:
When I listen to country, it's primarily the very late 1950's all the way up to the late '70's. After that....it sounds pretty much like it went "Hollywood".

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Jacked up Chevy with a lift kit, watch the sunset drink some beers.

This is why I don't like today's country music. It all sounds like some cliche about hey look how country I am. I got beers, sittin on my tailgate, fire, its my kinda party. Heck yea great stuff.

Originally Posted By: earlyre
never understood the appeal of country....
In fact, in my youth i had this bumper sticker:
discinbreed.jpg

+1000, I love this haha...
everyone has their own taste in music, one thing I can't stand is, country music, of all sorts but then again I might be ignorant because I have listened to about 10? maybe 15, and they were horrible to the point that no other attempts were made.

Last edited:
I believe it was just a few months ago Tom Petty said modern country music is nothing more than a bad rock and roll band with a fiddle.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Originally Posted By: 04SE
the only sanity I have is NPR.

Check out Michael Savage on WLS 890 AM he is on later in the evenings. Good dialogue , and says it like it is.
When do you typically drive?

Savage is the man!
01.gif

Good taste man!

What was the one that we heard incessantly while over in the states in June/July ?

"You make me want to blow my horn"

I miss real country music. I went to Vincent Gill concert last year .... makes me miss it.

Real country makes you feel something. This new stuff apparently is all about driving your brotruck around drunk, hanging out with your bro in the "country" and doing things "around here"

Originally Posted By: bvance554
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Jacked up Chevy with a lift kit, watch the sunset drink some beers.

This is why I don't like today's country music. It all sounds like some cliche about hey look how country I am. I got beers, sittin on my tailgate, fire, its my kinda party. Heck yea great stuff.

And all the performers and their arrangements sound alike. Dierks Bentley I can recognize, but not many of the newer people. Whereas you could always tell Johnny Cash from Merle Haggard, both the voice and the choice of material. (Hard to imagine Merle doing "One Piece at a Time.")

I've been a fan of country since I worked as a country station DJ back in the mid-'70s. (Mel Tillis, Gene Watson, Waylon & Willie -- and some "new" country like Guy Clark. You get the idea.) I've said for years country was the last pop music type left where the artists generally were good-looking -- and some gorgeous, like Faith Hill -- and tried to look their best on stage. And where you could still understand every word they sang.

I guess those things are still true . . . but country has indeed lost something, the story songs among them. "Three Wooden Crosses" by Randy Travis and "Beaches of Cheyenne" by Garth Brooks? We're not hearing those kinds of almost complete short stories in song nowadays.

I listen exclusively to channel 57 and 58 on XM. Y2Kountry and Prime Country. Every now and then, something new comes up, but it's mostly really good '90s and early '00s country music. Alan, Toby, George, Reba, Martina, Randy, Trisha...those folks.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
The words "country" and "music" should never be used in the same sentence.
Oh come on...you can't tell me you weren't moved the first time you heard Lee Greenwood's "God Bless the USA".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back