Talked wife through hooking up a battery charger

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't understand all these work-arounds when we're dealing with an adult person who can be taught to turn off lights. Talk about enabling to the max is just stupid IMO. Ed

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I really don't understand all these work-arounds when we're dealing with an adult person who can be taught to turn off lights. Talk about enabling to the max is just stupid IMO. Ed

That angle has been covered. We all have our quirks, and so too do our wives. So, if it were as simple as telling his wife to be more careful he probably wouldn't be posting here.

For instance, I can't for the life of me get my wife to re-cap anything, be it the tooth-paste, shampoo or condiments. I haven't given up yet, but I will tell you that giving her a hard time never works in my favor (and it doesn't solve her capping aversion...)

I guess he could switch methods, yell at his wife until she finally gets with the program, risking his marriage to save his battery, but I'd say installing some LED's and hooking up a battery maintainer seems like a much, much better option.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Originally Posted By: Eddie

That angle has been covered. We all have our quirks, and so too do our wives. So, if it were as simple as telling his wife to be more careful he probably wouldn't be posting here.

For instance, I can't for the life of me get my wife to re-cap anything, be it the tooth-paste, shampoo or condiments. I haven't given up yet, but I will tell you that giving her a hard time never works in my favor (and it doesn't solve her capping aversion...)

I guess he could switch methods, yell at his wife until she finally gets with the program, risking his marriage to save his battery, but I'd say installing some LED's and hooking up a battery maintainer seems like a much, much better option.

Yeah - I can't get her to remember to turn off the map lights. She can't get me to stop walking in the kitchen without sandals. She doesn't like me tracking stuff from the kitchen floor onto the carpets.

Also - superbrightleds.com says that the order of 3 lights has been shipped. My main concern is that the angle of light might not be adequate. If this turns out OK I might just get another order for my WRX. She's occasionally forgotten on my car because she just has to look at something in the driveway while I need to get back inside the house.

Originally Posted By: y_p_w
In the end I think I just should have told her to put it on the battery ground, but I'm worried that it might catch on fire.

Maybe this is a stupid question but why would that catch on fire? Or were you worried she'd hook it up incorrectly?

If she can't match the colours red to red and black to black she probably shouldn't be driving.. What if she gets confused by a red brake light or stop light and thinks it means go?

IQ tests should form part of the driving test..

Originally Posted By: Olas
If she can't match the colours red to red and black to black she probably shouldn't be driving.. What if she gets confused by a red brake light or stop light and thinks it means go?

You should probably re-read the thread... He instructed his wife where to hook up and she apparently did so without issue, so what's your point?

//

OP, I'll be curious to hear how the LED lights work out for you. I'd like to get some LED's, but really can't find fault with the OEM lights. Considering I've had older cars with original bulbs, it's hard to justify an LED swap for cost savings reason, regardless of what the purported life of the LED's will be - I simply don't believe they'll last their claimed life (nothing to back that up.)

I would like to add a bit more light to the cargo area and cabin, though, and some red map lights might help minimize night-time blindness when they're occasionally used while driving by the passenger. I'm worried that the red map lights will simply look cheesy and not perform as intended (i.e., they'd be more form than function.)

Hooking up the red clamp to the red post was the easy part. Trying to explain to her what I meant by "ground away from the negative post" was the hard part. I don't think she quite understood the concept that the chassis and nearly all exposed metal parts are common ground.

We all have our particular aptitude. My father could jump start a car easily, but always needed me to program the VCR and now calls me up to buy him something on Amazon.com. I had to set up my parents' internet service and set up their basic email attached to their internet service. And he worked with a specialized computer reservation system for years, but has a hard time with modern general computing. My wife is educated and has several job certifications, but jumping or charging a car battery is something she's never done before in her life.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

You should probably re-read the thread... He instructed his wife where to hook up and she apparently did so without issue, so what's your point?

//

OP, I'll be curious to hear how the LED lights work out for you. I'd like to get some LED's, but really can't find fault with the OEM lights. Considering I've had older cars with original bulbs, it's hard to justify an LED swap for cost savings reason, regardless of what the purported life of the LED's will be - I simply don't believe they'll last their claimed life (nothing to back that up.)

I would like to add a bit more light to the cargo area and cabin, though, and some red map lights might help minimize night-time blindness when they're occasionally used while driving by the passenger. I'm worried that the red map lights will simply look cheesy and not perform as intended (i.e., they'd be more form than function.)

Well - I wouldn't say without issue. I had to explain and reexplain things several times. Also - the charger wasn't automatic since the user has to select both the type of battery and the charging rate before it will start charging. I had a 1.5A maintainer that would have been simpler, but I don't think it was fast enough to get it to start in a half hour.

As far as the light goes, I ordered "natural white" DE3175 equivalents from superbrightleds.com. The orientation seems to be important since they have a relatively limited angle where it's really bright. The color is really white, as compared to the OEM Toshiba bulbs that look yellowish. I could have ordered the "warm white" (slightly yellow) version, although I'm not sure how yellow they would look. They seem a bit brighter than the factory bulbs. When I checked the factory bulbs, they were getting hot. These LEDs were cool to the touch. I heard that contact orientation might be an issue, but there was nothing on the bulbs that said which side was positive. I tried it both ways and it worked either way, so the designer did something to make the contact orientation unimportant.

So here's hoping that these things keep my wife from killing the battery again. I've got them on both map lights and the dome light. They're all the same DE3175 mount. When I got a replacement the last time one burned out, I spent a bunch at the dealer since the cheaper Sylvania version only came in 10W.

If it's still an issue after the LED bulbs:

http://www.prioritystart.com/12vpromax.php

Originally Posted By: PriorityStart
PriorityStart! is an automatic heavy duty computerized on/off switching system protecting battery voltage and starting power. If battery voltage drains below 11.7 volts when engine is off, it automatically DISCONNECTS the load. The battery voltage immediately recovers.

To RECONNECT and START the Vehicle: Just step on the brake pedal, activate the headlights, or use another accessory inside the vehicle, and starting power is automatically reconnected! Designed to handle 1000 starting amps. PriorityStart! is not a battery charger or booster that is used after the battery has already been damaged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back