Mystery Clunk/Play on Ford Escape

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having some issues with my escape. Sometimes I will get a slight clunk when turning sharply at slow speeds. Both cv axles are fairly new, new control arms and bushings, fresh sway bar bushings and end links, new tie rod ends, new struts, mounts, springs, and insulators. Gah, I just can't figure this out!

If I turn the wheel very quickly side to side I can feel a slight play. Any ideas? So sick of working on this thing.

A mechanic buddy of mine has a customer with the same year of Escape of you that does a similar thing too. It's when steering it's like it clicks and pops and momentarily doesn't feel like power steering. For his I think it needs a new rack and pinion or some expensive sensor that assists with the pressure.

Check the rack mounting bushings, they may be worn. I am not familiar with this vehicle but if it has rack and pinion i assume it uses mounting bushings.

Ford F trucks had a noisy telescoping steering column intermidiate shaft. As it changed length with body/frame flex it would bind and pop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back