TGMO Pricing/Decision

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

No reason to "hope" the bulk oil is TGMO just ask them. And if they say it's TGMO OW-20 and if that's what they say they use for oil changes I don't know any dealer that would lie about it. If they use another oil, if they do it's more likely they would be proud to say so; it's Castrol, Pennzoil or some other name brand.
Your fear is unfounded.

You never worked at any of the dealerships I worked at.
wink.gif
Lying to customers was a very common thing, including what oil they were using. Or taking a customer's [supplied] synthetic oil and keeping it only to fill their sump with bulk oil.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

No reason to "hope" the bulk oil is TGMO just ask them. And if they say it's TGMO OW-20 and if that's what they say they use for oil changes I don't know any dealer that would lie about it. If they use another oil, if they do it's more likely they would be proud to say so; it's Castrol, Pennzoil or some other name brand.
Your fear is unfounded.

wink.gif
Lying to customers was a very common thing, including what oil they were using. Or taking a customer's [supplied] synthetic oil and keeping it only to fill their sump with bulk oil.

LOL Your right!

I think it's the unicorn tears that make a drum labelled TGMO into a truth talisman, where even the most unscrupulous dealer walks out the back intending evil, gets a glazed look over his eyes, and is subliminally commanded to do the right thing.

It's not on the MSDS, but fire fighters and HAZMAT teams are already pretty trustworthy.

Originally Posted By: Islandvic
Congrats on your new Honda purchase.

I would choose the readily available M1 in your situation.

I bought my first Honda last year; 2013 Pilot EX-L.

First oil change i did (changed early around 3k milles) was M1 0w-20 w/ M1 filter from an Advanced Auto Parts special.

Ive used NAPA Full Synthetic Ow-20 twice since then ($3.50/qt on sale) with Bosch Premium filters (rockauto) and run the MM a little past 10%.

I change the filter each time. Honda recommends changing filter every other time. If I were to follow that, I would use the Fram Ultra.

I feel comfortable using almost any brand of full sythetic 0w-20 (M1, NAPA, Castrol, PP) because I use the maintenance monitor to follow OCI's, I dont do extended OCI's, I am the original owner, and I dont consider the driving conditions severe service.

I bought the 8 year/120k $0 deductible extened care Honda warranty and plan on keeping the truck as long as possible. I'll follow the MM while under warranty so I'll probably never see OCI's over 7000 miles.

You must have made the salesman day buying an extended warranty on a Honda.

I guess you missed every single article and news report that says those extended warranty policies are pointless and only benefit the insurer since it's rare for a vehicle to require the repairs those warranty will actually cover.

I'm surprised automakes still offer those things considering all the press they got about being a scam.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
I think it's the unicorn tears that make a drum labelled TGMO into a truth talisman, where even the most unscrupulous dealer walks out the back intending evil, gets a glazed look over his eyes, and is subliminally commanded to do the right thing.

It's not on the MSDS, but fire fighters and HAZMAT teams are already pretty trustworthy.

K. That definitely got a chuckle out of me.

I'd love to try the TGMO uniform tears variant. Heck I can't even find tgmo here however in Prince Albert they've got it so I've been told.

Originally Posted By: Alamogunr
Was here for one of my infrequent visits to BITOG, and saw this thread with TGMO in the title. Since I have a 2013 Tundra that is still in the dealer provided servicing, I thought I would add my 2¢. The Tundra has a large skid plate that must be removed to get to the drain plug and filter. There are 8-10 bolts that must be removed to access. Since Toyota recommends 10K OCI, and I don't drive 10K in 12 mo. I'm sticking with dealer oil changes. An OCI of 10K will mean changing at approx 12-15 mo. The truck will still outlast me and I won't have to deal with that skid plate. There are many reasons for choosing a particular oil.

I don't think the skid plate is that bad. For what it's worth, mine was staying in place just fine with the rear three bolts holding it up. I added back in two or three of the front ones that I forgot to reinstall from last time.

I did find it easier to do with the truck up on jackstands--I needed to rotate tires, and access is much easier on the plate. Go figure. The flip side is that pulling the filter makes a bigger splash, being that many more inches up higher.

Actually... depending upon your views... you only need to pull the plate to change the filter. You can drain the oil with the plate in place.

The two local Toyota dealers have sold me TGMO at around $5.34/qt. In bottles, no worries about bulk. I don't think that is under any sort of promo deal, that's just their usual pricing. I want to say Mobil 1 at Walmart might have been a buck cheaper per qt? In and out, not a real problem getting filters and oil. Heck the last place I went to tried to give me free washers! I already had some so I turned him down. But you know where I plan to go back to for the next time I need to get oil.

Now if it was more than say $7/qt then I'd go elsewhere/use something else.

wink.gif

One Toyota dealer i know is pretty legit with things like oil but another one (i know the parts manager) is less than kosher.
Bulk is 5w20 dino, the new vehicles with free oil changes get this and nothing else. If you were to go in with an empty jug they would tell you anything you want to hear then give you the swill.

Maybe in Canada they are a little more trustworthy but you wouldn't want to trust a lot of these heathens here, most will steal your eyes and try to convince you that you have been blind since birth.

If i know the dealership parts manager and he tells me which barrel is the real deal and gets it for me okay, otherwise only from sealed bottles.

That trustworthy issue applies for anyone taking their car in for a "synthetic" oil change where they are using a bulk oil.
If it's an honest dealership they will be happy to show you the Toyota 0W-20 drum and the right hose for that oil if you have any doubts. Furthermore, simply mentioning how low the oil pressure is on start-up with TGMO vs any other 0W-20, not just a 5W-20; (they don't know you don't have an OP gauge) should further dissuade any unscrupulous mechanic from filling your jugs with something other than TGMO.
From the moment one first inquires about whether they have TGMO supplied in bulk you can abort the deal if there is any hesitation or reluctance to confirm you're indeed getting the right stuff.

Point is, if you can get some jugs filled at a good discount at your local Toyota/Lexus dealership, it's an option some members have taken advantage of. And yes have subsequently learned from UOA it was indeed TGMO.

Originally Posted By: Trav

wink.gif

One Toyota dealer i know is pretty legit with things like oil but another one (i know the parts manager) is less than kosher.
Bulk is 5w20 dino, the new vehicles with free oil changes get this and nothing else. If you were to go in with an empty jug they would tell you anything you want to hear then give you the swill.

Maybe in Canada they are a little more trustworthy but you wouldn't want to trust a lot of these heathens here, most will steal your eyes and try to convince you that you have been blind since birth.

If i know the dealership parts manager and he tells me which barrel is the real deal and gets it for me okay, otherwise only from sealed bottles.

What I don't understand about all the cheating is this:

Salesperson lies because he is on commission.
Service writer is also driven by commission.

But if you are paying for the synthetic oil, what is the incentive for somebody in parts, even if they are on some sort of commission, to give you a different product? It would have to be an instruction from their superiors.

Exactly Apollo14, there is zero motivation for an employee to do so unless it's a totally corrupt dealership. Do they exist? I'm sure they do but with some normal precautions If one is interested in buying some bulk TGMO I think one can be pretty confident you're getting what you've bargained for.

Exactly Apollo14, there is zero motivation for an employee to do so unless it's a totally corrupt dealership. Do they exist? I'm sure they do but with some normal precautions If one is interested in buying some bulk TGMO I think one can be pretty confident you're getting what you've bargained for.

Sounds good, be my guest having your local trustworthy dealership fill your empty jugs.
wink.gif
Me I'd buy sealed bottles, especially knowing what I know from working in the industry. There's a lot more than zero motivation, but there's no point in beating a dead horse.

demarpaint, in your experience were parts people told to cheat by their superiors or were they themselves of questionable character?

I've had very poor service and exceptional service from dealerships and chain maintenance establishments. I still trust them, for the most part. If you don't, walk around the visitor designated area until you get a vantage point that allows you to view the use of the supplied oil going into your vehicle. Once done...'oh yeah, can please give me the empty oil jug...'

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Apollo14
demarpaint, in your experience were parts people told to cheat by their superiors or were they themselves of questionable character?

I can't speak for the owners, but management and the grunts both cheated. In fact management often encouraged the grunts to cheat, it added more to their bottom line.

Oh Clevy, you amuse me. Thank you for the good laugh.

Do you actually doubt a fellow BITOG member didn't research something before buying it? As a member of an internet forum on MOTOR OIL ,of all things, goes to show my intent on due diligence.

We are trying to help someone make an educated choice for their choice of oil for their new Honda, yet you bring my research and business skill into question.

Clevy posted: "You must have made the salesman day buying an extended warranty on a Honda.

I guess you missed every single article and news report that says those extended warranty policies are pointless and only benefit the insurer since it's rare for a vehicle to require the repairs those warranty will actually cover.

I'm surprised automakes still offer those things considering all the press they got about being a scam
."

This may be true for 3rd party contracts and may be true for many buyers.

No I didn't make the salesman's day. The F&I guy actually upsells all of the add-on's such as the extended warranty, pre=paid service, paint protection, etc etc, not the salesman.

My F&I guy offered the Honda Care Extended Warranty but I did not buy from him. I did not buy any offered add-ons. No tint, no nitro fill, no pinstripe, nada. Before I purchased the Pilot, I had 8 different Internet Sales Managers quote me a price on the particular Pilot I wanted. I chose my particular dealership in a city about 1 1/2 hours away from where I live b/c of price. The dealership gave me no b/s and no hassle with the transaction.

The dealer I purchased the Pilot from could not come close to quotes I received from out of state dealers in regards to the warranty. I called 6 dealers in my state and about 4 out of state that I found referred to from Honda internet forums.

Honda allows you to purchase one AFTER the sale of the vehicle up to a certain point (mileage and time in service based). It is also transferrable to whomever I sell the vehicle to next for only $50.

I did read the fine print of the extended warranty contract, comparing side by side to the factory 3/36. Items not covered was minimal and I was willing to accept them.

The cost for parts and labor for new front struts and an alternator that I wont have to pay for will cover the cost alone for the warranty I paid for. I live where there are horrible roads and low quality gas. Struts, CV joints and fuel pumps (even in new cars) don't usually last long compared to those vehicles in other parts of the country.

The warranty also pays for lock out, tire repair, towing, hotel when out of town, fuel delivery if ran dry and other benefits.

It's late and I need to pay attention to my DVR'd programs. Otherwise I would go into my years of sales and contract negotiating experience in my previous life before becoming a civil servant.

To sum it up for Clevy, salesmen do not get the best of Islandvic.

Originally Posted By: Islandvic
Oh Clevy, you amuse me. Thank you for the good laugh.

Do you actually doubt a fellow BITOG member didn't research something before buying it? As a member of an internet forum on MOTOR OIL ,of all things, goes to show my intent on due diligence.

We are trying to help someone make an educated choice for their choice of oil for their new Honda, yet you bring my research and business skill into question.

Clevy posted: "You must have made the salesman day buying an extended warranty on a Honda.

I'm surprised automakes still offer those things considering all the press they got about being a scam
."

This may be true for 3rd party contracts and may be true for many buyers.

No I didn't make the salesman's day. The F&I guy actually upsells all of the add-on's such as the extended warranty, pre=paid service, paint protection, etc etc, not the salesman.

My F&I guy offered the Honda Care Extended Warranty but I did not buy from him. I did not buy any offered add-ons. No tint, no nitro fill, no pinstripe, nada. Before I purchased the Pilot, I had 8 different Internet Sales Managers quote me a price on the particular Pilot I wanted. I chose my particular dealership in a city about 1 1/2 hours away from where I live b/c of price. The dealership gave me no b/s and no hassle with the transaction.

The dealer I purchased the Pilot from could not come close to quotes I received from out of state dealers in regards to the warranty. I called 6 dealers in my state and about 4 out of state that I found referred to from Honda internet forums.

Honda allows you to purchase one AFTER the sale of the vehicle up to a certain point (mileage and time in service based). It is also transferrable to whomever I sell the vehicle to next for only $50.

I did read the fine print of the extended warranty contract, comparing side by side to the factory 3/36. Items not covered was minimal and I was willing to accept them.

The cost for parts and labor for new front struts and an alternator that I wont have to pay for will cover the cost alone for the warranty I paid for. I live where there are horrible roads and low quality gas. Struts, CV joints and fuel pumps (even in new cars) don't usually last long compared to those vehicles in other parts of the country.

The warranty also pays for lock out, tire repair, towing, hotel when out of town, fuel delivery if ran dry and other benefits.

It's late and I need to pay attention to my DVR'd programs. Otherwise I would go into my years of sales and contract negotiating experience in my previous life before becoming a civil servant.

To sum it up for Clevy, salesmen do not get the best of Islandvic.

I'll attest to this - normally a service contract is not a wise investment but with about 25000 miles left on my hondacare for my civic, I've had 2 air conditioner repairs and a cv axle replacement that would've totaled about $300 more than the service contract cost me. So yeah - even Hondas require costly repairs occasionally. Got the contract online for less than half what the dealer quoted as their best price.

This thread has taken an interesting turn. We too have an extended warranty. We looked over various quotes from multiple dealerships that were offering below mkt value prices on 2014 Sonata (redesigned 2015s were on the lot) through truecar.com. The one which earned our business was the one that threw in the extended bump2bump warranty for $0 extra. (again, AFTER the below mkt value was quoted)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back