Attepted to steal van

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I had a Pontiac Montana sitting where I was going to work on it waiting to order and receive wheel hubs assemblies....someone appears to have tried stealing the vehicle. I don't understand why they did what they did, specifically breaking the shift lever off. I can only guess that they were [censored] after failing to hot-wire and steal it so they broke stuff?

How bad is this gonna be for repair? Just some reasonably priced parts or expensive entire assemblies? As I said they broke the shift lever and also the turn singnal lever, so It can't be driven or even started right now. Just trying to figure out what to do with it now.

If you've got comprehensive coverage, I'd file a insurance claim
Just the turn/wiper stalk is touching $250
The shrouding shouldn't be too much, or find it in a pick and pull
The gearshift is gonna be a tricky one.
Get researching, and start looking for a replacement?

Sorry to see that..

those poor thieves had no idea the car wouldn't start without the key anyway! GM Passkey in effect.

It might be easier/cheaper to try & find a new steering column for that instead..
But the gear & turn signal levers are easily obtainable...

I'd look on ebay for the plastic pieces..

Yuck. Sorry. The pick n pull might be your best bet. You can relearn passkeys easily enough or reuse the old lock cylinder so the customer has one key.

But the small stuff in steering columns gets pricey as said above.

I know on Ebay a shift lever is 19.99 that is the probably the easiest to fix out of all that damage.

It's my in-laws vehicle so there is no customer to deal with. Unfortunately there is no insurance on it. It was originally said to have a bad transmission and was going to get scrapped. I suggested letting me take it somewhere to have a second opinion and maybe have the codes read. The place I took it said it was wheel bearing making the noise and vibrating so I suggested to my inlaws that I could order hub assemblies online and get it fixed to either sell or keep as a company backup vehicle. Either by some miscommunication or lack of communication...the insurance got canceled.

Just need to figure out what to do with it that's cost effective and smart choice.

- Return wheel hubs and scrap it (approx 350 to 400 based on weight)
-Sell it for repair or parts (unknown value)
-fix the wheel hubs and damage to steering column then decide to sell or keep

You would have to look at the miles and year. With that being said, the transmission trouble (If it turns out not to be the hubs, that was a wishful guess) and you wont re-coup any of the cost of the wheel bearings or steering column damage, due to your pretty much feeding a dead horse, when you put money in a used vehicle to sell. I would seriously think about scrapping it. Mini vans have terrible re-sale. Its a fix and keep and if you don't really need it. You could probably buy a better one cheaper.

Last edited:
I always keep a Master brand CLUB on my steering wheel.

It slightly adds the possibility that they wouldn't bother at all and move on to the next car.

If they don't see it, get into the car, they will notice it right away, mutter "darn" and just leave before coming close enough in the attempt to be successful to cause damage out of rage if they fail.

If they have the tools to break it, well, the car would most likely be stolen in any event, and you claim it as stolen and buy another car I guess.

Originally Posted By: Falken

It slightly adds the possibility that they wouldn't bother at all and move on to the next car.

If they don't see it, get into the car, they will notice it right away, mutter "darn" and just leave before coming close enough in the attempt to be successful to cause damage out of rage if they fail.

If they have the tools to break it, well, the car would most likely be stolen in any event, and you claim it as stolen and buy another car I guess.

Lifetime NYC'er and car person
.....they don't do [censored]
There's this thing called a battery powered sawzall, and leather bound, wood trimmed, button filled 1/4in strip of metal don't stand a chance

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
Originally Posted By: Falken

Lifetime NYC'er and car person
.....they don't do [censored]
There's this thing called a battery powered sawzall, and leather bound, wood trimmed, button filled 1/4in strip of metal don't stand a chance

Sadly true here as well. If they want it, they are going to get it, plain and simple.

Unless the van still runs quite well, scrap it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back