Charged By Dogs on Bicycle (Different Dogs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, my worst fear materialized yesterday. I was riding my road bicycle in a semi-rural neighborhood when I saw a group of shepherd-mix dogs in the front yard of a mobile home. The pack had already seen me coming and started heading my way.

Being on an uphill grade, I assessed the situation and realized that I would not be able to outrun the dogs, so I dismounted to take a stand against the pack.

The dogs trotted aggressively toward me, hackles up, heads lowered, and teeth bared. As I placed my bike in between them and me, I shouted repeatedly, as loudly and aggressively as I could, "Get out of here!" Growling, the dogs attempted to encircle me.

Keep in mind, I am in cycling attire, including Shimano cycling shoes that have cleats mounted on the soles in order to clip into the bike's pedals. If you've ever worn a pair of these shoes, you know that they are difficult even to walk in, let alone adopt a fighting stance on rough, off-camber pavement against a pack of junkyard dogs!

Thankfully, as I yelled at the dogs and swung my bicycle around at them forcefully, they backed down and eventually retreated. I think it helped that I'm not a small guy (6'2" 180 lbs) and I can yell pretty mean when I need to.

This could have been pretty bad. I have no doubt that the dogs would have attacked, had I not seen them and been able to dismount and face them. Or, if a kid or older person, or a woman, would have ridden by, I feel sure that these dogs would have attacked. Actually, it is only by the grace of God that I wasn't bitten.

I came back in my truck later to verify the address so I could file a complaint, and took some photos. The dogs charged my truck when I stopped at the base of the driveway:

Some of you may recall my other thread a few weeks ago, in which I described another attack by a lone dog which actually did bite me. In a way I'm glad that happened before this incident, because, this time, I knew I had to stand my ground. If I jadnt, I would have been attacked.

An officer came out and took my report. He didn't write it down, but said he had notified animal control. He said he was going to have a word with the owner. I said I would like to see the owner cited. The officer said he would likely issue a warning for the first complaint.

I'm going to call tomorrow and make sure a complaint is on file with animal control. If something is not done, someone is going to be attacked.

[censored] owners make for [censored] dogs. Sorry you have to deal with it! Sounds like you're doing the right things. Maybe buy some bear mace
smile.gif

Man that dwelling looks like it's from the set of Wrong Turn! I wouldn't go biking there without packing some heat,full magazine,round in chamber!

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
Yep, I carry pepper spray when I ride my bike. One person in my neighborhood ended up with 64 stitches in his face/head!

I used to do this, too. I think its a good idea.

There are tons of flashlight mounts on ebay that can be used to permanently mount a small can of pepper spray on your bike so you don't forget it.

$_12.JPG

When I was going to school in Kentucky I had to alter my course because of dogs. After enough times, I knew how to go so I would be going downhill next to the bad houses. Even then there was one time a dog took a good angle and almost got me. I don't think people know how scary it is to be on the bike end. Remarkable how many times it happened though. I hate bad dog owners.

ref

i live a boring life i was never charged by any animal, maybe its because i don't intentionally try to get them angry because i know better.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
i live a boring life i was never charged by any animal, maybe its because i don't intentionally try to get them angry because i know better.

yeah, that's what it is.

33.gif

Originally Posted By: refaller
When I was going to school in Kentucky I had to alter my course because of dogs. After enough times, I knew how to go so I would be going downhill next to the bad houses. Even then there was one time a dog took a good angle and almost got me. I don't think people know how scary it is to be on the bike end. Remarkable how many times it happened though. I hate bad dog owners.

ref

I told the story in another thread that was similar to this one but I'm going to tell it again here:

Both my buddy, my father and myself were attacked by two dogs that lived down the road from us on many an occasion. The owners would do nothing about it even after numerous complaints. They attacked my buddy's dad (who was arguably clinical) after he lost his license for the 25th time, which resulted in him biking it, so he just came back later, shot the pair of them, and threw them in the marsh. Problem solved.

The almost amusing part of that was that after the dogs "went missing" the people went door to door asking if anybody saw their dogs. When they knocked on ours my father responded that he wasn't surprised that they were gone given the myriad of complaints about their behaviour and the seemingly obvious inability to keep them under control.

I have no doubt in my mind that if they knocked on my buddy's dad's door that he told them point blank that he blew their brains out on their front lawn and tossed them in the marsh after they attacked him. He wasn't shy. He wasn't overly sane either.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: refaller

ref

I told the story in another thread that was similar to this one but I'm going to tell it again here:

Both my buddy, my father and myself were attacked by two dogs that lived down the road from us on many an occasion. The owners would do nothing about it even after numerous complaints. They attacked my buddy's dad (who was arguably clinical) after he lost his license for the 25th time, which resulted in him biking it, so he just came back later, shot the pair of them, and threw them in the marsh. Problem solved.

The almost amusing part of that was that after the dogs "went missing" the people went door to door asking if anybody saw their dogs. When they knocked on ours my father responded that he wasn't surprised that they were gone given the myriad of complaints about their behaviour and the seemingly obvious inability to keep them under control.

I have no doubt in my mind that if they knocked on my buddy's dad's door that he told them point blank that he blew their brains out on their front lawn and tossed them in the marsh after they attacked him. He wasn't shy. He wasn't overly sane either.

Awesome.

K. So these dogs are loose and able to just run up to anyone,at any time?
Pretty sad that a guy just trying to enjoy a bike ride needs to be armed.

When I lived in Canmore I'd ride my bike everywhere. I was riding from my house on 3 sisters down into town and came upon a mama silver tip grizzly and 2 Cubs.
Thank god they can't run downhill. I managed to get my rear outta there however I never rode again without bear spray again.
These "pets" are a dog pack now with pack mentality and they are going to hurt someone.
I wouldn't even so much as bat an eye at knowing my dog attacked someone he didn't know coming into my yard. He doesn't even look at at people walking by my fenced yard,and I've got ample beware of dog signage however if my dog decided to leave my yard and intimidated a pedestrian or a passerby I'd shoot him.
My dog is my best friend and I love him nearly as much as my kids but his life is NOT above a persons life or limb and I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing he hurt someone outside my yard.
I've left my gate open and he will not leave the yard unless I tell him he can. He is very well trained as far as protecting the home and yard.
My dog will walk my property line and not cross it unless I tell him he can.
Those dogs are a menace and I'm a dog lover,but those ones need either a fence or to be chained up.
It's sad you know. I've had many pit bulls in my lifetime and not one of them ever hurt anyone that didn't have it coming yet they are a banned breed because of poor ownership.
Apparently German shepherds aren't immune to stupid owners too.

I was at Canadian Tire a few weeks ago and saw Sabre Dog Spray in a kubotan sized keychain for 12$.

I bought it as an impulse purchase with the OP's first thread of being bitten by an off leash dog in the back of my mind.

I keep it in my coat pocket now with me at all times.

The feeling of hopelessness with 2 or 3 dogs working up the courage for one of them to take a bite out of you I can relate to at this point in my life.

While they are edging eachother on you can take the pepper spray out of your pocket and just spray each one in the eyes.

I feel much better about having it with me, I saw a video of a dog chewing a guys arm off on LiveLeak, people really don't realize how strong a full sized dog really is.

People have gotten very comfortable around dogs, they are very dangerous.

Someone above said it's pretty crazy that a guy just trying to ride his bike needs to be armed.

It really is. The thing is, people seem to be incredulous when I tell them about these occurrences, like it's something unbelievable. Something like this is not driven home with people until they are actually on the receiving end of an attack.

Again, as someone above said, it really is a hopeless feeling to have 5 dogs charging you, and nothing to defend yourself with. You just know you are going to get torn up and seriously injured. As I said before, it was only by the grace of God that I was able to fend them off without being bitten.

It's actually the same when talking about being on the receiving end of an attack by a criminal. It's easy to advocate against firearms until you're put in a position where a firearm is the only thing that can help you.

john,

If you are looking for someone to advocate that you carry a Glock on your hip at all times, well, you found him.

If I were allowed to carry a handgun, I would all the time.

The problem in Canada is handgun ownership is near impossible, and you can only use them at a range.

There are no provisions in Canada for Concealed Carry unless you can prove to the RCMP that you NEED it to defend yourself.

For instance, if you are a woman who was almost killed by your husband, and he is about to be released from jail, and you took shooting lessons the whole time he was in prison, they would probably let you carry a gun.

I think even hikers in Alberta should be allowed to carry a sidearm. Tons of Cougars, not just loose dogs.

But pepper spray against dogs is a pretty happy medium.

I would hate to go through the hassle of having to deal with the cops after killing someones dogs.

All the moaning, "they were harmless", and you are a nut with a gun, etc... And some police officers hate armed citizens.

Just a big PITA.

Buy a can of Bear Spray and buy a pistol.

Use the Bear Spray first if it is easy to do. If not, just shoot them.

At least you can show that you were "reasonable" to the cops by having bear spray with you.

I think you should start a gun shopping thread at this point.

I vote a Glock, in 9mm with a 15 round magazine.

You are going to always be sweaty, so a Glock won't corrode as quickly as it is a Polymer frame, with Tenifer blued steel.

Use light, fast ammo with huge hollowpoints.

I am sure the dog owner power trips. That is why his dogs run around the way they do.

Chances are, if he sees you biking around with a Glock riding high on your hip in a Pachmayr holster with 2 spare mags, you won't see the dogs running free for very long.

But hose the dogs with bear spray first. Less hassles for you afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back