Dealer service rant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought the used Traverse about 3 weeks ago, just shy of 100,000 miles. The salesman was great to deal with, and has been making sure I'm happy with the car. He noted that the rear bumper was slightly damaged and had a broken license lamp, so he wrote on the "we owe you" that they will replace the bumper cover and license lamp. The car is in great shape and has been well maintained.

After I got it home, I noticed the power mirrors don't work, and it turned out the fuse was blown. I conjectured that maybe somebody tried to adjust the mirrors when they were frozen with ice, and blew the 2 amp fuse. Also found the the rear wiper blade was tearing and needed to be replaced. The part stores don't have the fuse or the wiper blade. Stopped by the dealer to buy a fuse and a wiper blade, and bumped into the salesman. He insisted on adding those the "we owe you" items at no charge, since the dealer was out of both. He promised to have the service folks do both of those when they fix the bumper.

Dropped it off Monday this week to have the bumper, license light, wiper blade, and fuse fixed. They even gave me a loaner, free of charge. I saw that the fuse was not mentioned on the work order when the service manager had me sign it, but he had the "we owe you" sheet in front of him, so I pointed it out. He wrote on the work order to replace the fuse and promised to look into fixing the power mirrors.

Get a call Monday evening, and all are fixed, except he says his technician determined the fuse was good. I assured him I checked it thoroughly with an ohmmeter, and it was open. He promised to look into it Tuesday and would call me. Tuesday goes by, no calls. Wednesday I call, and he thinks the problem is in the wiring between the switch and the body control module, but it's not approved to repair it. If I want it fixed, it will be a warranty claim with a $100 deductible. Hm, I think I'll look into it myself, but they do still owe me a fuse. He still insists the fuse is good.

I get it home, and confirm that the fuse really is bad. I take the blown fuse in, he concurs it's blown, he says he'll get a replacement, but since the parts counter is closed, I can pick it up Friday evening. Fair enough. Friday afternoon, he calls and asks where I got the fuse from. The fuse box under the dash, where else? What location? The one marked "pwr mir" in the diagram. Not an encouraging sign. Already getting a bit annoyed that I was led to believe they were going to fix the mirrors, and getting the fuse seems to be like pulling teeth.

Saturday, I talk to the salesman, and mention these problems. He's amazed and grabs the general manager, who agrees, I have been patient and there's no reason I shouldn't have a replacement fuse as promised. The GM walks back, and a minute later, I have both my bad fuse and a brand new fuse in hand. He even offered to have them fix whatever was wrong with the mirrors. No thanks, I'll look at them myself first, and thanked both of them for their assistance.

Now that I found the schematics for the mirror circuit online, and a Youtube video of how to pop the mirror switch out, it turns out the service manager was full of it when he said it was in the wiring to the body control module; the BCM doesn't control the mirrors at all. In fact, it's a very simple circuit. I unplugged the switch, put a sacrificial spare fuse in, and measured battery voltage at the switch harness. Used a 9-volt battery with some clip leads, and found I can energize the wires to each mirror and make both mirrors move up, down, left, and right. Switch seems to be bogus, but I found a replacement on Amazon for $20. Time to make this diagnosis? About 15 minutes.

Don't think I'll be trusting them for any more repairs. I'm not even sure they looked at the mirrors at all. I'm still astounded that they determined the fuse was good, I'll bet they were looking at the wrong fuse, if they looked at all.

All I can say is that on the Ford parts end, our cataloging does not give the location or the function of fuses and relays on newer vehicles. They just list all the fuses and relays used on the vehicle and call all of them "multi-purpose circuit breaker" or "general purpose relay."

don't suffer in silence. Tell the salesman and the General Manager that the service manager is full of sh!t. Then contact GM and complain on the phone. Either the service manager or the tech need to take a hit for this. They you for the switch, the time wasted, etc. If it were me, they would be changing the tranny fluid free (while I watch of course) along with some free oil changes. Just saying.

This is why I no longer work in a garage, the service writer gives you instructions to screw over your customer and insist on doing questionable work to make money.

One of my college instructors works at Ford and some of the dealers got busted on warranty work that was never performed or necessary. It was reported to make money for the shop, pure fraud on behalf of the service manager.

Stealers usually have a lot of just out of school techs and then they have the ones that like to bilk the car companies out of paid hours. Either way most are crooks i see it all the time because we buy a lot of parts from them and we do their heads and sometimes short blocks. I have seen it all with most of them. I asked one how do you sleep at night and he said comfortably because my bills are paid.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
All I can say is that on the Ford parts end, our cataloging does not give the location or the function of fuses and relays on newer vehicles. They just list all the fuses and relays used on the vehicle and call all of them "multi-purpose circuit breaker" or "general purpose relay."

My 97 Contour had numbered slots in the fusebox; it took the owners manual to decipher the code and figure out what's what.

Originally Posted By: Dave Sherman
Don't think I'll be trusting them for any more repairs. I'm not even sure they looked at the mirrors at all. I'm still astounded that they determined the fuse was good, I'll bet they were looking at the wrong fuse, if they looked at all.

It sounds like they treated you pretty well. Not many places would have offered to fix it for free after the sale - let alone without any hassle. The loaner car was especially nice.

If the fuse was bad, why did you replace the switch?? Didn't the new fuse fix the problem like you told the tech, service manager, and sales guy it would have?? It sounds like the service manager didn't want to tear apart the car trying to diagnose a problem he wasn't going to get paid to fix.

My opinion: you have nothing to complain about.

The new fuse did not fix the mirrors, I took a gamble and borrowed an identical fuse from another location before I got the new fuse. It did not fix the mirrors, but it didn't blow the fuse either.

I don't have anything to complain about? The service manager was making wild claims that show he and/or the techs haven't a clue how the power mirrors work or how to identify the fuse, and anybody should have been able to confirm the fuse was bad. The fuses were in stock as of Monday, but it wasn't until Saturday that I actually got the fuse I was promised in writing. They promised to look into fixing the mirrors, but didn't. They kept the car for two days after the bumper, light, and wiper were fixed, but they weren't fixing the mirrors even though I was led to believe they were fixing them during that time. The service manager didn't call me when he promised.

Yep, I suppose I should just ignore all that since they fixed some things and gave me a loaner.

What you should have done was kept the loaner and left them the vehicle instead of not forcing them to fix it

After a few weeks at the shop, ask for them to give you a car payment since you've been without *your* vehicle for nearly a month. Seems to me that'd get better/faster results or at least a free payment discount.

Other options include billing them for your time, billing them for a repair at another shop, etc

Last edited:
Uplevel models with memory seats will retain memory position of the mirrors and return them to the preset position along with the seat position. The circuit should still involve the BCM even if you don't have this option.

You bought a four year old 100K car that can't have been very costly given the brand and model, that was also no doubt offered "as is".
The dealership really bent over backwards to accomodate you with a free bumper repair as well as a new rear plate lamp and a new rear wiper blade. They also agreed to fix the mirror adjustment feature, all free of charge while giving you a loaner to drive while they spent the time and money doing the repairs.
They weren't obligated to fix anything on this new-to-you CUV after the sale and delivery and they certainly weren't obligated to let you use a loaner. They did both, and you thank them by cracking on them?
You had a minor misunderstanding with the service manager and the tech over the mirror control switch and you're ranting?
I'd bet that these people are wishing that they hadn't sold the thing to you.
You seem like a real pain in the tail customer.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
You bought a four year old 100K car that can't have been very costly given the brand and model, that was also no doubt offered "as is".
The dealership really bent over backwards to accomodate you with a free bumper repair as well as a new rear plate lamp and a new rear wiper blade. They also agreed to fix the mirror adjustment feature, all free of charge while giving you a loaner to drive while they spent the time and money doing the repairs.
They weren't obligated to fix anything on this new-to-you CUV after the sale and delivery and they certainly weren't obligated to let you use a loaner. They did both, and you thank them by cracking on them?
You had a minor misunderstanding with the service manager and the tech over the mirror control switch and you're ranting?
I'd bet that these people are wishing that they hadn't sold the thing to you.

+1

Anyone making the claim that the OP is a PITA customer is north of the mason=dixon. If you sell me a car around here and claim that "everything works" and "everything doesn't" then you owe me a fix. Period. Have fun dealing with yankee dealers.

Sure, whatever.
It's on you to inspect a used car before you hand over a check.
Whatever you missed is on you.
The UCC applies in Virginia as well as it does in Ohio.
Used cars are generally sold "as is" eveywhere and nobody owes you anything on a used car you've accepted delivery of.
Period.

Did you not read the post?

Quote:
After I got it home, I noticed the power mirrors don't work, and it turned out the fuse was blown. I conjectured that maybe somebody tried to adjust the mirrors when they were frozen with ice, and blew the 2 amp fuse. Also found the the rear wiper blade was tearing and needed to be replaced. The part stores don't have the fuse or the wiper blade. Stopped by the dealer to buy a fuse and a wiper blade, and bumped into the salesman. He insisted on adding those the "we owe you" items at no charge, since the dealer was out of both. He promised to have the service folks do both of those when they fix the bumper.

The OP went to the dealer to BUY a fuse & the oddball rear wiper...the SALESMAN insisted on having the dealer take care of them!

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

Funny, the salesman says the exact opposite, and says I have been a great customer to do business with. He must be lying, right? He has told me many times that they are grateful for my well-maintained, high demand trade. I made sure they had everything that went with it, which he says many people tend to forget and they have to replace. I made sure they had my maintenance logs, the radio code card, the valet key, both sets of keys, and I brought them the e-check certificate which was still valid, even though the new owner could register it without the printed copy. He was very thankful for all these things.

He and the GM were glad that I brought it to their attention that the service guys were dropping the ball on the things they had promised, and yes, they were miffed at the service guys for not delivering what they promised, not at me.

Maybe you missed the title, dealer SERVICE rant, not DEALER rant. I was well aware I was buying a used car. Never asked them to fix anything or expected them to. If the service guys seem rather clueless on diagnosing something, wouldn't you be ranting?

Yep, I'm just a real PITA if somebody promises something that was included in writing in the purchase and then doesn't deliver. Guess I was just supposed to say "Oh, thanks for dangling that carrot and then taking it away".

Last edited:
He wasn't treated badly by the salesperson and the GM.

He was treated incompetently by regular workers. But this is not a dealer specific problem, this is how everything is these days.

Given how it finally turned out, there is no question in my mind that no mechanic would have gone through and did the diagnosis that you did yourself. Frankly, once you know that you have better diagnostic ability than 99% of the mechanics, there would be no point to hand over this aspect of the job to them.

All most mechanic would have done would be to replace successive parts until he hit the success.

Nobody has more interest in fixing your car that *you* regardless if it is a corner gas station or a $200 per hour dealer service place.

DIY or independent shop is the way to go IMO. I do everything on my own cars except specialty jobs that require tools/equipment I don't have or if I just don't have time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back