4T65e - new buick lesabre - what to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can prevent the car from running dry by overfilling the pan after you do the initial drain and fill. It takes good math and knowing the particular system though.

Such as adding 10 quarts to the 7 quart pan and pumping out the return line maybe 5-6 quarts before it starts to slow.

Originally Posted By: Squirrelee
Originally Posted By: GerGa
On another subject has anyone done a fluid exchange before? I have read where people do a pan drop/filter, remove the cooler return line from the tranny and turn on the car for a few seconds at a time in order to pump the old fluid out of the line and monitor when the fluid comes out fresh. Then proceed with fill.
That sounds like you would starve the transmission or the pump of fluid. Not sure. I would think you would want to hook up a beer bong with fresh fluid on the cooler return port on the tranny so pump and transmission are never starved. Anyone done it before?

Thanks

Yes, you can use the two tools below to help the job go smoothly:

Use this to disconnect the return line from the trans cooler:

OTC 7937 Transmission Oil Cooler Line Disconnect Tool for GM

Once the line is disconnected, you can insert this tool into its place and connect a length of hose to it. Place the other end into a bucket and you're set:

Hayden Automotive 397 Transmission Line Fitting Kit

If you want to save a bit of money, you can always disconnect the supply line and place it into a bucket, then use low PSI air and blow the fluid through the transmission cooler and return line back into the transmission.

As far as hurting the pump, you only want to run the car until it starts to sputter - no more. Otherwise you can do what is shown in the video below - he gives a pretty good explanation. In either case, you would want to pump it into a bucket that has been marked with quart gradations so you'll have a good idea how much has come out.

Once you get the job done, you'll feel better knowing you have all the old fluid out (and you did it yourself)! Good luck!

When you say disconnect return line from radiator and add extension line to it and place in bucket, you mean place it in a bucket of fresh fluid, correct?
Video makes it pretty clear, but I want to be sure.

I did my pan drop/filter/refill yesterday, added around 5.7 Quarts, and it's reading really high on the dipstick. It read high right after filling, so I pulled it out of the garage and let it idle for a minute, and it still read high. It sat overnight and still reads the same. Does the car need to run more, or did I really put too much in? I have read where people put in 7q with a pan drop on this tranny so I thought 5.7q would be a safe start to first check the dipstick.

Back to COOLANT, I pumped some out of the reservoir into a small peanut butter jar, and it looks pretty full of particle floating around. http://i.imgur.com/ljuTqvz.jpg Kinda hard to tell in the picture.
Do I need more than a radiator drain/refill? I'm not sure how to do those flush kits.

Last edited:
Please disregard the part in my previous post about my transmission fluid reading overfull. Read the manual and realized it read high because to get a proper dipstick reading the transmission must be at operating temperature and running while pulling dipstick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back