Replaced front struts, right creaks on left turns

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few days ago I replaced my rear shocks and front struts on my 2002 Toyota Rav4 with monroe parts. Now during the last 90 degrees of turning my steering wheel to the left my right strut creaks. The left side doesn't do this.

I did not replace the strut bearing plates because they are only 30k miles old, and they weren't cracked, bearings looked fine, etc. In my autos class where I completed the task, my instructor said to just impact the center nut on till it's tight (This seemed incorrect at the time, but he's the teacher. I normally torque everything I can fit a torque wrench onto). I believe the nut is currently torqued to 200+ ftlbs due to 1/2 inch impact gun. Turns out that nut is only supposed to be torqued to 35 ftlbs according to a service manual I downloaded.

Both coil springs are positioned pretty well with the marks lining up and the pigtail in it's correct spot.

What could be causing this creaking?

Also, if it is indeed an overtightened center strut nut, could I impact off the nut while the car is on the ground (on all four wheels obvioiusly). Then I would hold the shaft and correctly torque the nut.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: eljefino
You could but I'm 50/50 on if it'll help. Still, cheap & easy.
Yah, make it right, then check for worn out front stabilizer links. Whenever I have had a strut apart,I have re-packed the top bearing. A little grease and now the suckers will never groan like a rusty gate.
grin2.gif

I didn't line up the bearing plates any way, I just put the studs through the mounting holes btw. But I was able to move the plate around I remember. Though I don't remember how easily haha.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: andyd
Originally Posted By: eljefino
You could but I'm 50/50 on if it'll help. Still, cheap & easy.
Yah, make it right, then check for worn out front stabilizer links. Whenever I have had a strut apart,I have re-packed the top bearing. A little grease and now the suckers will never groan like a rusty gate.
grin2.gif

I actually just replaced the stabilizer links a year ago to solve a clunking. They currently have no play. I'm replacing the rears tommorow because I noticed they've got a decent amount of play in them.

I'll definately grease up the bearings tommorow!

If retorqueing and regreasing the strut doesn't fix the problem, I'll just remount the spring monday or tuesday.

Last edited:
Maybe you had wear in the lower ball joint or P/S rack bushings, and it only became apparent after you installed the new struts.

strut bearing plate and/or bearing, bushings, lower control arm bushings or ball joints, tie rod ends, etc.

All can be a culprit.

*sorry I know it doesn't help at this stage, nevertheless: one must do all the necessary inspections (not just visual) and rectifications in order to resolve the problem nicely.

creaking may be difficult to diagnose, but require time and experience.

Q.

Are the alignment slots in the front mounts/strut shafts lined up? There's a groove cut into both to align them together.

I'd take it apart again, make sure everything is lined up and assembled properly, check the bearing, and properly torque the top nut.

I just did this job on the Camry and I used vice-grips combined with thick rubber to hold the strut shaft in place to torque it. Although in hindsight I believe that was unnecessary because the strut had a notch in it that only let it go into the mount one way, holding the strut in place so you can torque it properly.

Originally Posted By: mehullica
Are the alignment slots in the front mounts/strut shafts lined up? There's a groove cut into both to align them together.

I did not do that. Perhaps I just got lucky on the left side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back