Rotella T 15W40 TDS shows JASO MA2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you Quattro Pete, I promise I did a search & did not see that thread. I will try & find some today as I have a track day coming up.

Thanks again!

We have a guinea pig! Let us know how it works, Cutaway. I'm betting it will be great and maybe even better than conventional Rotella T.

Originally Posted By: Cutaway
Thank you Quattro Pete, I promise I did a search & did not see that thread.

No problem. It was buried on another forum. Plus, this oil is so new, most places don't carry it (yet).

If you do find it, let us know where.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
We have a guinea pig! Let us know how it works, Cutaway. I'm betting it will be great and maybe even better than conventional Rotella T.

Will do Lone Ranger, I looked for it everywhere tonight (the usual az, wally etc) except O'rileys.. but I will hit them tomorrow. I have always used Rotella 15W40 in all my race bikes for years before it was popular & had zero issues w/ post season tear downs & rebuilds showing everything well with in spec & like new. I know I dont need it w/ these kind of results, but I want to try it b/c race motors & bikes are not cheap & if I can gain an edge w/ a better formulation of the oil I already trust racing.. why not. Overkill is not a liabity in this case.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Smoky14
Tractor supply carries the stuff @ a reasonable price.

Does "the stuff" = T5 15w-40 syn blend?

Ok everyone I have looked EVERYWHERE!! Az, Oreliey's, Wally, ALL our truck stops (we have good ones), Tractor Supply, pep boys you name it. ZERO nada & of course no one knows what the [censored] Im talking about when I ask if they will be expecting this product anytime soon. So I am w/ Quattro Pete on this one... Is the stuff 15W40 Syn blend? b/c in this part of NM its not available.... yet.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
That gives some room to shear and remain in grade. So many XXw40's have a cST from about 13.2 - 14.2 leaving a narrow margin for staying in grade when any shearing occurs.

Is it really that critical to stay in grade? Will your bike really notice a difference between a thin 40 and a thick 30 at the end of the OCI?

that *IS* the question now isnt it.
in most cases i would say no...because everything is working correctly...ie expected oil flow and oil pressure.
BUT
it is when that does not occur that maybe the extra vis saves your bacon.
lets say your motor has the camshafts that just sit on the oil in plain saddles. NO bearing at all. if there is no oil, welcome to sieze town.
under normal conditions you might get away with 0w10 in almost any motor, but it is the NOT normal conditions that you want that tough film strength!

Quote:
[/quote] but it is the NOT normal conditions that you want that tough film strength!
Sunruh... since my conditions are NOT normal & ALL racing (RPM range is 6K - 14K), my thinking is that the new Rotella 15W40 Syn blend will be more shear stable. Am I correct? Also just to put this into persepctive I dump my oil after every race weekend, same for track days. This is part of the reason I dont use a more expensive race specific oil as my OCI is so frequent.

Thank you.

dont know on the new srt.
someone needs to start using it and do some uoa's!!!

you are doing exactly what you should be doing cutaway!!!
do not change.

considering that the 5w40 synth does NOT hold up, its a coin flip without a uoa to guess (and it's only a guess at this point) if the synth 15w40 will hold up. lots will brag that they do, few actually do!

steve

What additive are they using in the Rotella T conventional 15W40 that makes it so shear stable?

IMO, it's the underlying base oils that determine shear stability, not additives.

Having a fairly narrow viscosity spread helps too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back