Direct Injection Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my friends is having problems (at only 50,000 Km - 31,000 Mi) with his Lexus IS250 Direct Injection engine. The problem appears to be a combination of low piston ring tension plus intake valve carbon deposit formation.

The dealer is taking care of it under warrantee (including replacing the rings) but you have to wonder how much trouble there's going to be over the life of the vehicle.

Makes me wonder whether I want to have anything to do with DI engines. I know DI offers improved fuel economy but that could easily be offset by high repair costs.

Has anyone here put substantial miles on a DI engine without problems? If so, what vehicle and what driving conditions?

Ecotourist

Subscribed
35.gif

Those who expect a shiny new DI diesel to be as reliable as an old over the valve Cat dozer engine are in for a shock, no matter what the white shoe, plaid pants salesman says.

Last edited:
Actually, at least in real trucks, it seems the only folks having any issues are the 'look at me' crowd. Trucks that are used for real work rarely have issues.

FWIW, it seems that certain mfgrs have the DI thing well worked out. But obviously not everybody yet..

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Those who expect a shiny new DI diesel

I was actually thinking of DI gasoline injection engines but comments on DI diesel are good too.

I agree with you. There's lots of reassurance that "it will be fine" but what do users with big miles have to say.

I'd hate to have to sign up for regular walnut shell blasting of intake valves (or whatever the current approach is).

Ecotourist

My wife and I have a 2015 Hyundai Tucson with DI 4 and a 2015 KIA Sorento with a DI 6 and will see how that plays out.

Have checked with both service departments and here seems to be no issues with them?

Fwiw, in following the Gen III (DI) Ford Focus forums there is not a single report of DI related problems that I have seen. This only covers model years 2012 to present so there aren't huge accumulated mileages, but a number are approaching 100k. Not saying that there won't be problems in the future, but this seems an encouraging start.

Overblown...

If it wasn't reliable, mfrs that didnt adopt the technology yet, wouldn't. The trend is definitely towards D.i. As SteveSRT8 said, some are better than others. Just like some Makes and Models are more reliable than others in general.

So long as the maintenance plan/OCi is strictly followed (as opposed to 'somewhat following it' as millions of drivers have gotten away with for years), you will be fine.

Last edited:
I work at a Lexus/Toyota dealer & valves will build up some carbon over time. Mini & BMW are having lots of issues with DI. If you install an aftermarket oil separator in your pcv system, you'll hadly see any buildup at all. A good high rpm/redline drive through each gear on the freeway will help snap the carbon off & keep it from building up over time

Originally Posted By: mehullica
If you install an aftermarket oil separator in your pcv system, you'll hadly see any buildup at all.

There has been some discussion of this and it sounds like a good approach. Any suggestions on a specific product?

Have you seen it used on an IS250?

Ecotourist

If it was that simple you would think it would be OE on every DI engine. It would surely be cheaper than the warranty claims. Just playing devils advocate.

A fleet we serviced was already reaching 100-150k miles on their DI Ford Foci. Trouble free as far as engine. Too bad I cant say the same about the 6 speed auto's.

Direct injection has been in use for decades prior to the recent use in automotive gasoline engines, it isn't new technology, just re-invented.

Detroit Diesel used direct injection on its two stroke diesels.

It seems that the problem is overblown as some manufacturers are ahead of others as far as reliability. My wifes '14 Escape with 17,000 mi. currently has been trouble-free.

I'm at 36k on my focus, and I haven't done a boreoscope yet, but as far as I can tell there are no ill effects from DI yet. Runs as good now as it did when I got it.

Originally Posted By: Trav
If it was that simple you would think it would be OE on every DI engine. It would surely be cheaper than the warranty claims. Just playing devils advocate.

I agree, catch-cans, separators etc. will only make it easier to void your warranty. They also haven't proven to be effective. If ithey were, they would be OE

Originally Posted By: abycat
I think driving them a touch more spirited helps out as well. That gm 3.6 is a great engine.

Isn't the 3.6 the V6 that had the timing chain issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back