Any UPS drivers here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am starting as a Temporary Delivery Driver next week. I am concerned about the training material as I have to memorize verbatim the Space and Visibility worksheet. I have a terrible memory and don't want to get dismissed before I even start!

I feel your pain about memory. It's never been good since my youth. I'm 53 now and it's better in some ways, and not in others.

I kind of hate that learning in school, and in jobs seems to stress memory above all other factors. Or at least it seems that way.

I just immerse myself and hope for the best. I usually do OK in the end. I think you will do fine. Just study hard to make up for your perceived lack of memory.

2 cups of coffee will help keep you awake and have better time memorizing your training material.

How long will this driving position last ?

Good luck my friend, fingers crossed!
I'm sure that its going to be ok, and you are not the 1st that can't memoreize it
smile.gif

Job runs Oct. 27th thru Jan 15th. Great pay and plenty of hours. Hopefully it will turn into a permanent position in January.

Whenever I have to memorize things, I make a game of it. Turn it into a song or pretend you have to "beat someone" to win the game. Get your wife/significant other/friend to "play" with you. Rewards for winning can be fun.

Good luck!

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
Whenever I have to memorize things, I make a game of it. Turn it into a song or pretend you have to "beat someone" to win the game. Get your wife/significant other/friend to "play" with you. Rewards for winning can be fun.

Good luck!

Good Luck !!!

B

I'm a UPS driver. And no, despite what the training sheet says, you do not have to have it memorized before your training class starts. You will however, have to have it all memorized word for word, by the last day of training.

An easy way to remember to remember the 5 keys: "All Good Kids Like Milk"

Aim High In Steering

Get The Big Picture

Keep Your Eyes Moving

Leave Yourself An Out

Make Sure They See You

I'm a diesel semi mech at UPS. Don't expect this temporary job to become a permanent full time driving position. UPS is union. The contract had and still might have a ratio that allows UPS to hire drivers off the street. It was/is put in to make sure UPS can have a diverse workforce. They are not going to waste the 1/6 ratio or whatever hiring a white guy off the street when they could fill it with someone of another gender and/or race.

Originally Posted By: Darren270
I'm a UPS driver. And no, despite what the training sheet says, you do not have to have it memorized before your training class starts. You will however, have to have it all memorized word for word, by the last day of training.

An easy way to remember to remember the 5 keys: "All Good Kids Like Milk"

Aim High In Steering

Get The Big Picture

Keep Your Eyes Moving

Leave Yourself An Out

Make Sure They See You

That's the Smith System "5 keys".

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I'm a diesel semi mech at UPS. Don't expect this temporary job to become a permanent full time driving position. UPS is union. The contract had and still might have a ratio that allows UPS to hire drivers off the street. It was/is put in to make sure UPS can have a diverse workforce. They are not going to waste the 1/6 ratio or whatever hiring a white guy off the street when they could fill it with someone of another gender and/or race.

I am a white guy, and from what I saw during my intro I would be way in the minority. The HR person said that if I did well then I would have a decent chance at a management position since I have a 4 year Business Administration degree. Either way it is great pay for the next 2 1/2 months.

Give them 110% effort.
Learn all you can.
If UPS dosen't want you afterwards,
FedEx will.
I am retired from FedEx.
They need good management.
Good luck !

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
http://quizlet.com/28238816/ups-space-and-visibility-flash-cards/

Quote:
Aim High in Steering Rule 1:
Imaginary Target-baseball/dart board. Centers car in traffic lane. Safe path on turns "FIND A SAFE PATH WELL AHEAD"

Get the Big Picture Rule 2:
how wide and deep? Whats in it? Object and ground. Keeps you away from billboards. Smooth stops and turns. Buys time. STAY BACK AND SEE IT ALL

Keep Your Eyes Moving Rule 3:
Move eyes: Front-2 seconds Rear - 5-8 seconds. Keeps you alive at intersections. Keeps eyes ahead of car " SCAN DON'T STARE"

Leave Youself an Out Rule 4:
Leave yourself an out. Have an escape route. Take the path of least resistance. Space on all 4 sides, but always in front." BE PREPARED, EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED"

Make sure They See You Rule 5:
Communicate in traffic- horn, lights, signals. Establishes eye to eye contact "DON'T GAMBLE, USE YOUR HORN, LIGHTS, AND SIGNALS"

That's some good advice. Everybody oughtta drive like that.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
How much does UPS pay for temp drivers ?

I would more as many hours as possible for the holidays.

$24/hour up to 8 hours a day....$36/hour over 8 hours a day
smile.gif

Oops, I made a mistake.
I meant to say: I would work as many hours as possible for the holidays.

I'm sure lots of folks tried to apply for that position.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back