Larger tires needed any Tire guys?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2014 Mitsubishi Outlander ES AWD 16" stockers are 215/70R16, can I fit 245/70R16?
Looks by measuring I have enough space in the wheel well.
Whats the largest tire I can fit safely on my stock rims?
Anyone have any experience doing this?
Thanks in advance.

If you can deal with your speed being around 5 km/h over and they fit then sure, just keep in mind the speed reading difference.

They would be a little over 30mm wider.

Any implications with your warranty?

Something happens with the AWD system, and the dealer sees tires that are three sizes too big mounted on the vehicle.

Then what happens?

Originally Posted By: Koz1
2014 Mitsubishi Outlander ES AWD 16" stockers are 215/70R16, can I fit 245/70R16?
Thanks in advance.

doubt it would fit.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Thanks in advance.

doubt it would fit.

Maybe, maybe not. Id say itd likely fit. I run 225's when 185 is stock and it fits fine. Depends on alot of factors though.

I would go one of two ways...

Wear out your 215's, put 225/70R16's on when buying new rubber,

Or

Get a set of 18" OEM takeoffs, usually with the 225/55R18 rubber...
235/55R18 could be put on if just rims, or on rubber wear out...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Originally Posted By: Rand
Thanks in advance.

doubt it would fit.

Maybe, maybe not. Id say itd likely fit. I run 225's when 185 is stock and it fits fine. Depends on alot of factors though.

It's not just the width issue with what the OP is proposing. 245/70/16 are also almost 6% taller (1.6 inches).

You should always stay close to the OEM diameter, so in OP's case, if you really wants 245-wide tires, he should drop the profile to either 60 or 65.

The other unanswered questions is: are his OEM rims wide enough to support these wider tires?

My speed is 5.5 kms slow so that would be perfect.
Thanks.

Keep in mind that your error will be a % of the speed, not a constant amount. Your error will be 6%, so your true road speed will be 6% faster than your speedometer reads. At an indicated 40 km/h, this isn't much (42.4 km/h true road speed). At an indicated 120 km/h, your true road speed will be 127.2 km/h.

Two inches more in diameter is quite a bit... I'm still debating rather or not to go up one inch in diameter on my truck. One inch is the most that will fit without rubbing for me, but losing some acceleration and gas mileage due to larger tires is what has me thinking twice about it.

Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revs/Mile Difference
215/70-16 5.9in 13.9in 27.9in 87.5in 724 0.0%
245/70-16 6.8in 14.8in 29.5in 92.7in 684 5.9%

The rim will take the tire yes.
The rim is within the parameters of the tire.

Last edited:
How could the tire effect the AWD system if there's enough space to accommodate it?
Is the system really that fragile?

How could the tire effect the AWD system if there's enough space to accommodate it?

No, it wont impact awd or abs or anything else, IF all the tires are same circumference...which they should be ...!

Will they fit can only be answered by test fitting one. Most cars with struts are limited by the spring perch which sits right above the tire, and by steering lock to lock clearance... as well, sometimes suspension hardware can be tight to the tire, like trailing arms or shock mounts etc.

The 245 is 1.6 " taller total, so about 0.8" per side ( 20 mm ) , and about 0.5" wider per side. It really depends on the particular vehicle...

Some TPMS systems which are ABS-based can get thrown off by changing the overall diameter. Alas, in those cases, it's just a matter of performing a simple system reset and allowing it to re-learn the new diameter.

Ok Ill ask the dealer first before I buy.
TPMS isn't a concern to me but the Geometry might be thats why Im asking, any problems with the jump suspension wise.

Ok Ill ask the dealer first before I buy.....

Their answer will be: "Don't!" They are not in a position to tell you anything else for legal liability reasons.

In my opinion, it isn't the wheel width that is the tire size limitation - it is the size of the fenders. To my knowledge, there are no lists or catalogs that tell how big the fenders are and what will fit underneath them.

So I think your best bet is to ask at a web site devoted to the vehicle. Be cautious about their advice, because some folks aren't too careful about dotting the i's and crossing the t's.

Last edited:
Excellent point.
I went and measured and I have more than enough fender room for the tire.
Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back