Ducati announces Variable Valve Lift for 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Once again Ducati has pushed forward the boundaries of engine technology"

For model year 2015 the 1198 Testastretta engine used in the Multistrada will feature a type of Variable Valve Lift branded as "DVT" which is short for Desmodromic Variable Timing. 100 lb-ft torque and 160 hp. Formerly 91 lb-ft and 150hp for model year's 2013 and 2014. Fuel economy increased by 8%.

Official Ducati webpage for DVT: http://www.ducati.com/en/testastretta_DVT/index.do

VAG took ownership of Ducati quite recently, so we should expect to see the tech. filter down to our road cars in the next 2-3 years.

And if they apply this variable valve lift to the new 1299 Super Quadro engine due to go into the upcoming Panigale for 2015, look the heck out, that thing is going to RUN.

It states on their tech page that it offers valves that function 'from fully open to fully closed, with an infinite variety of adjustment in-between.'

Apparently it moves that camshaft up and down. They state that the position between the camshaft and crankshaft is variable.

The variable duration sure flattens the torque curve .[ Looking at the head I can't figure out variable lift.]

All that's shown on the Ducati website is variable valve timing, via cam phaser. Not variable valve lift.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
My bad on terminology.

Still, class leading innovation !!

Honda did variable valve timing on motorcycles with the VFR 800 over 10 years ago. So it is not really new.

My bad on terminology.

Kawasaki has had VVT via cam phasing on the intake cam of the 1400 Concours since inception.

Honda had their REV valve train system on the 1983 CBR400. REV was a precursor to their VTEC system. While it wasn't VVT via cam phasing, it did alter standard valve actuation, to effectively widen the engine powerband.

Last edited:
My F150 pickup truck uses similar cam phasers.

I actually like the Honda VTEC system a bit better. 1 mild cam profile and one high life, long duration, high overlap profile that's optimal for high RPM. Done right, I think the Honda system is capable of a wider torque curve and more ultimate HP.

Put another way, I don't believe you can take a really aggressive cam profile and "de-tune" it via cam phasers, and meet stringent EPA regs and MPG targets.

Ducati's design allows valve adjustment technique to remain close to the previous but extends intervals out to 18,000 miles from the previous model yr's 15,000. That's fewer adjustment intervals over the life of the engine, equaling lower potential maintenance cost.

Power increase, smoother power delivery, fuel economy improvement, maintenance expense decreased, emissions compliance maintained... they all add up to innovation!!

Originally Posted By: Robenstein

Honda did variable valve timing on motorcycles with the VFR 800 over 10 years ago. So it is not really new.

Sounds like simply product improvement more than innovation. In modern motorcycle manufacturing, especially in the arena of high performance bikes, no one can be content with their current products.

When Honda introduced VVT/VTEC into the motorcycle world...that was innovative. It took an automotive technology and put it in a production motorcycle for the first time successfully. When Ducati introduced desmodromic valve actuation...that was innovative.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
My bad on terminology.

Just for clarification: It's not varying the timing of the valves like the VTEC cars. Under 6800 rpm it's a two-valve cylinder, over 6,800 it's a four-valve. There's quite a power surge when it switches. I believe in '06 they lowered the VTEC actuation RPM to smooth the transition.

It's controlled by a solenoid that allows oil pressure to activate the additional valves. Oil-related: It won't activate until the oil/coolant is up to ~150F...but I digress
cool.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back