Update on Bluesmobile brakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
The victim: 1993 Ford Taurus GL, 3.0 V-6 with automatic tranny, a.k.a "The Bluesmobile."

So, some of you might remember my no stoppy experience of some days past. Finally, I had some free time late this afternoon/evening and decided to pull the rear wheels and drums off said automobile.

YIKES AND AWAY!!!!

The front shoe on both wheels is totally gone, as in down to the rivets, as in, it ain't there no more! The back shoe looks normal, except for some very large cracks that run across the brake material, (so large, I can stick a dime in the crack), but the front shoe on both sides is gone, as in, there ain't nothing there.

I had these brakes re-done about 30,000 miles ago by what I thought was a pretty good wrench twister. He works out of the garage behind his house and comes highly recommended.

I'm wondering why these brakes wore out so quickly. Did my highly recommended guy do something wrong, is it possible the brakes somehow got out of wack, is it possible the brake material was poor to begin with?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Dont know the answer but drum brakes typically last AFAIK. Im still on the original drums in the back of my corolla..but again different car so hard to say...cheap replacements maybe?

Last edited:
What shoe is actuated by the handbrake??

Maybe the handbrake was not properly adjusted. If it was poor material I would expect that both shoes wore at the same rate.

Originally Posted By: Darwin1138
What shoe is actuated by the handbrake??

Maybe the handbrake was not properly adjusted. If it was poor material I would expect that both shoes wore at the same rate.

That's got me to thinking - about six months ago, I loaned the ever faithful "Bluesmobile" to my daughter while her van was out of commission. She had it about two weeks, and now I wondering if perhaps, she drove around with the e-brake engaged. Possible? Very possible with her as she is rather scattered brained, (in a sweet, loving way).

And yes, you're right, both sides are worn in the same manner.

Would heat from riding around with the e-brake engaged cause the cracks?

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy

Would heat from riding around with the e-brake engaged cause the cracks?

Yes, and the brake drum itself would have a bluish coloration and possibly some hairline cracks

Check out this document in pages 16 and 21

Thanks for the link - interesting. This might explain why I had to replace a rear wheel bearing shortly after she borrowed the car. I didn't really look at the drums to see if there were any cracks, but I'm thinking they are beyond repair and will need to be replaced along with the shoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back