Intermittent DTC P0452

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you guys ever had a check engine light come on and then go off after awhile? I have, it's the P0452 for the fuel tank pressure sensor circuit. The computer will set the light because it doesn't like the data parameters, then turn the light off after awhile. I'm assuming it's a break in the wire somewhere.

From your link Trav:

Quote:
Common Problems That Trigger the P0452 Code

Defective Fuel Tank Sending Unit
Defective or damaged Fuel Tank
Defective Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor, wiring, or computer
Defective Carbon Canister
Defective Canister Vent Valve - in some cases

What does the fuel tank sending unit have to do with it?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
From your link Trav:

Quote:
Common Problems That Trigger the P0452 Code

Defective Fuel Tank Sending Unit
Defective or damaged Fuel Tank
Defective Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor, wiring, or computer
Defective Carbon Canister
Defective Canister Vent Valve - in some cases

What does the fuel tank sending unit have to do with it?

The PCM will only check evap sealing at certain fuel levels for accuracy. Some of the newer ones will test when fuel level rises for fuel cap test. Usually when tank full signal indicated. Below about a quarter of tank, too much tank volume for accurate test.

I think they probably mean fuel tank sending unit housing. If the sending electrical unit itself were bad it would not cause a leak code.
It might not run the evap test if it were defective and the gauge not work but GM's seem to run the test anyway, i suppose it could be a problem but if the gauge is working i doubt it.

An air leak at the mounting O ring or around the wiring connector is more likely if there were an issue with the sending unit. The EVAP hose connection (if applicable, i believe on the Buick it is) might be bad on the sending unit housing which is unlikely if it hasn't been disturbed.

Originally Posted By: wokeupdead
The PCM will only check evap sealing at certain fuel levels for accuracy. Some of the newer ones will test when fuel level rises for fuel cap test. Usually when tank full signal indicated. Below about a quarter of tank, too much tank volume for accurate test.

Thank you sir.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Trav
I think they probably mean fuel tank sending unit housing. If the sending electrical unit itself were bad it would not cause a leak code.
It might not run the evap test if it were defective and the gauge not work but GM's seem to run the test anyway, i suppose it could be a problem but if the gauge is working i doubt it.

An air leak at the mounting O ring or around the wiring connector is more likely if there were an issue with the sending unit. The EVAP hose connection (if applicable, i believe on the Buick it is) might be bad on the sending unit housing which is unlikely if it hasn't been disturbed.

Thank you sir.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back