How long did you go on factory fill?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. Not looking for advice since my mind is pretty much made up but I was wondering how long some of you went on your initial factory fill? I've got a 2014 Honda Accord sport with the 2.4 4cyl. I purchased the car on April 19th with 36 miles on it and it has around 3200 miles on it. I'm going to drop it around 3500 or so since it's seen some really short trips(daughter to school), some medium highway trips of around 7 miles and now I'm doing about 11 miles one way which is mostly highway. As expected the oil does have a strong gas odor and my OLM is at 60%. Of course like most people who frequent on here I've got the itch to change it just because. Going to run M1 AFE with a Fram Ultra. Just curious to see when you guys drained the original factory fill? I know Honda's factory fill contains a lot of moly from assembly but to me it's just oil and I'm pretty sure the engine has initially wore in.

The last new car I bought was back in 2001. That was an A4 1.8Tq. I did the first oil change at 5K miles, as per the manual.

The bike on the other hand called for doing the first oil change at 600 miles, and that's what was done.

In my family:
1999 Honda CRV: 3000 miles
2002 Toyota Solara: 3000 miles
2003 Saturn ION: 2000 miles because I got an unbeatable deal on synthetic oil.
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee: 2000 miles because the guy at the dealer recommended it to mom
2007 Pontiac G6: 2000 miles, because I believed the guy at the Jeep dealer made sense.
2010 Mitsubishi Ralliart: 1200 miles because:
1. The car sat at a dealer lot for an extended period of time
2. I knew how dirty turbo engines got when conventional oil was changed every 3000 miles.

In the SHO, I went the full OLM distance which was close to 7500 miles. All previous cars were the same - run it to what the book says.

I just follow what the book says. If it says run it out fully, I do. If it says change it early, then do it.

2009 Honda Fit - 10,500 miles

I was told explicitly by the salesman not to change it early, that the FF was part of the special break in process.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pajamarama
2009 Honda Fit - 10,500 miles

I was told explicitly by the salesman not to change it early, that the FF was part of the special break in process.

This is becoming more common with newer engines. I know a lot still recommend changing the oil after only a few hundred miles, typically based on the theory that they may be removing contaminants that may have been left in the engine when it was built. But many an OEM recommend against this, suggesting that the FF needs to stay in the engine during the entire oci.

I tend to lean towards the OEM recommendation.

Van was 5 months from manufactured date when bought. OEM said to change at 6K mi. or 6 mo. I changed it at 1K mi. & 1 mo. (+5 = 6 mo.) So I got to change it early like I wanted and also followed the manual.

Personally I'd run it to 5% on the olm if thats what it says in your manual.
While under warranty I'd stick to OEM Honda oil filters, just to avoid any issues if something was to occur.
Take the car out for a good drive a couple of times, that will burn off the gas in the oil. You can then check the oil and when the gas smell is gone, you'l feel better and lose the itch to change it early...

First change around 500 miles, then at around 25% of the OLM...
1.4 Turbo Cruze, it's hard on the oil....

Anything could be in there, casting sand, dust, metal shavings, etc...

Here is a little challenge everyone who buys a new car or truck can perform;

Drain the oil after 1000 miles or less, if you like how it looks, pour it back
into the engine.

With the exception of some expensive German imports, such as Mercedes which states in
the owners manual: "We go to great lengths........so you don't have to."
Referring to an immediate oil change that some owners perform.

I would bet that very few of you would pour 1000 mile oil back into your engines
after looking at it in the sunlight.

The "right away and 25%" answer, and the "its your car" answer I thought were the best.

Why? On top of the sand and casting bits that you drain out with the first couple
of oil changes, I believe that new engines are hard on the oil's additive package
and there is a "layering-up" of anti-wear additives that are consumed in the process.

But, that is just me and the things I believe to be true.

Can't recall, but I think I did my 2000 Neon at 1k.

But now that we have Writely (even though I could have done it back then with a spreadsheet (Star Office) on my laptop I didn't because I never thought about recording it.)

But when I get my next new "car" and motorcycle I will track everything under the hood/handle bars.

Triumph Street Triple: the owners manual
Acura MDX: 1,000 (OEM oil & filter) 5,000 (OEM) 10,000 (Redline & M1 EP or Napa Platinum) and every 7,500 thereafter

On my 2014 F150 I was told by the dealership ( also stated in the owners manual) the first change should be at 5,000 miles. I'll wait till I get close to that.

Consider looking at it this way for the sake of argument: Do a UOA on a new car after lets say at 2,000 miles. The wear metals are high, that's normal for a new engine breaking in. OK fine. Take those same results and apply to an engine that has been broken in, then post those results on the board and people would freak out. Some might even be giving the engine last rites. The question is, do you feel OK with the break in metals staying in your engine? If so then leave the oil for the full OCI, if not drop the oil early.

Honda claims they use a special break in oil, if you own a Honda you might want to follow their lead. It has been stated time and time again, many of the other automakers don't use special break in oils. Bottom line, it's your car do what you feel is best, in the end that's what most people do ................

Just read the OM on my friend's new Ridgeline. There is no mention of "special break-in oil" or any recommendation for OCI other than follow the MM. This is in stark contrast to my '11 CR-V. So we can not make blanket statements like, "Honda says/uses/claims..."

For the record, I changed the FF on my CR-V at 5% on the MM and it had about 7500 miles on it. Runs and looks like new as of this morning.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Honda claims they use a special break in oil, if you own a Honda you might want to follow their lead. It has been stated time and time again, many of the other automakers don't use special break in oils. Bottom line, it's your car do what you feel is best, in the end that's what most people do ................

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
Just read the OM on my friend's new Ridgeline. There is no mention of "special break-in oil" or any recommendation for OCI other than follow the MM. This is in stark contrast to my '11 CR-V. So we can not make blanket statements like, "Honda says/uses/claims..."

For the record, I changed the FF on my CR-V at 5% on the MM and it had about 7500 miles on it. Runs and looks like new as of this morning.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Interesting, point well noted. I haven't checked the OM of a Honda recently. I do hear it repeated very often on the board however that Honda uses a "break in oil". Sorry for the confusion. I don't own one but I did sell a lot of them.

Special break in oil hogwash.

Wear in metals are abrasive.

Factory fill has successfully made it to my driveway and never made it out of the driveway.

Pay how much for a new vehicle?? and skimp out on a few oil changes costing $30?

Environmentalist brainwashing using fear scare tactics to help you run your vehicle into the ground. Lowering the cost of ownership for brainwashed marketing reasons is foolish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back