Rented a Camaro SS for the weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
A lovely car.

Several moderate bumps on I-10 in Louisiana threatened to flip my stomach.

Why do you think I want to leave the state? That's normal for roads here. Sorry it affected your time with the car, though.

Not to worry! I grew up in SW LA and am used to the roads. I left about 30 years ago, but managed to find my way back to do research for a novel that I just completed. The roads were just as bad in the 1970s as they are today so nothing lost or gained on that front.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Do you mean the last (4th gen) Camaro like mine??

Yep. The 93-02. Those are my all time fave Camaro/Trans Am body styles. They look like an "exotic muscle car". I think your body style Camaro blows away the new ones hands down!
cheers3.gif
The current ones look really goofy. Almost like big square marshmallows.

The one advantage the 4th gens have over the 5ths (besides the subjective aesthetics thing), is that I was able to order this thing 'stripped', as in; I even have crank windows, and NO t-tops (but was NOT allowed to order it sans radio and AC, like the 3rd gen 1LE option did
frown.gif
).

So my car tips the scales at almost 750 lbs. lighter than the lightest V-8 powered 5th gen one can buy.
smile.gif

But, the new ones probably 'ride' better than mine on bad/bumpy roads, and probably 'skitter' across broken pavement turns less than mine (given the same/equivalent; shock/spring firmness, and sway bar size), due to their IRS vs. my stiffly sprung and damped, solid rear axle.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: wtd
My Mustang is a base model GT with the automatic tranny the only option. One thing I find very lacking on this car is the instrumentation. Speedometer, Tach, fuel gauge, and temp gauge and that is it. For a performance car you would think it would at least have a few more gauges.

The other thing that I really hate about the car right now is the factory Pirelli Pzero Nero AS tires. They are the loudest tires I have ever had and I have rotated them every 5,000 miles. They annoy the [censored] out of me to the point I don't even like driving the car. I hate the thought of having to buy new tires at 10,000 miles for tires that still have great tread on them.

I also test drove the Challenger R/T and that was the car I was going to buy because I think it's the best looking out of the three but the MDS system in the automatic equipped cars I drove basically changed my mind. The switching back and forth between 4cyl and 8cyl was very noticeable to me and it felt like the car was always missing when it did this. The SA said that some people have told him the same thing and that some people seem overly sensitive to how this system performs. The manual equipped cars don't have this system but that's out for me because I have a bad left knee that doesn't tolerate much clutch action.

I wish there was somewhere around her to rent a performance car because I would like to rent a Challenger R/T for the week to see if I could get used to the MDS system.

Wayne

You know you can shut off mds my manually shifting gears and keeping it in 5th instead of getting it into drive right.

When I bought my charger I noticed MDS engaging by the sound of the exhaust but it's now a must have for me.
Who doesn't want 400 pounds of torque on tap and still net better than 25mpg on the highway.
MDS is a great system and I won't buy a dodge without it now after owning the one I've got.

I know that but I can get 25 mpg with my Mustang that doesn't have MDS. I also always put aftermarket exhaust on my performance cars and everything I have read says that almost all of the aftermarket exhaust systems don't sound very good when the car switches into 4 cyl mode. If I'm buying this type of car, fuel mileage is the last thing I'm concerned about.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

I wish there was somewhere around her to rent a performance car because I would like to rent a Challenger R/T for the week to see if I could get used to the MDS system.Wayne

Wayne, I sincerely hope you can find a dealer that will help you.

I called 4 about a 48 hour to 72 hour test drive. 2 flat out said no, one said come down and fill out a credit app, and the 4th said come on over anytime and we'll get one ready for you.

Just got to find the right dealership, there are a few with decent customer service!!!

I didn't think of calling a dealer. A few years ago there was a car rental place that did have Challenger R/T's to rent but I never did rent one because I was not in the market for a new car at the time and figured that they would be very expensive to rent. I now wish I would have. I will have to call some of the dealers around here and see what they say. Thanks for the idea.

Wayne

OK, I'll throw in my 2 cents.

I owned a brand new 2012 V6 Camaro for 2+ years. Liked the car, looked great, never went to the dealer for repairs, fairly quick but it was missing a few things...2 cylinders!

I just missed a V8. I had a CAI, Borla exhaust and ...meh...it didn't have the sound, or the torque. Don't get me wrong, a nice looking, reliable car. And to me, the low roof line, bad visibility...really? I'm 6 foot and no issues, and have been in worse for visibility.

SO, what do I drive now? Bought a used CPO 2013 Boss 302 and I am in heaven! It is a bad-arse car.

Moral of story...get a V8 or you won't be completely happy, IMHO. At least drive both (V6 and V8).

Originally Posted By: Dash_RipRock
OK, I'll throw in my 2 cents.

I owned a brand new 2012 V6 Camaro for 2+ years. Liked the car, looked great, never went to the dealer for repairs, fairly quick but it was missing a few things...2 cylinders!

I just missed a V8. I had a CAI, Borla exhaust and ...meh...it didn't have the sound, or the torque. Don't get me wrong, a nice looking, reliable car. And to me, the low roof line, bad visibility...really? I'm 6 foot and no issues, and have been in worse for visibility.

SO, what do I drive now? Bought a used CPO 2013 Boss 302 and I am in heaven! It is a bad-arse car.

Moral of story...get a V8 or you won't be completely happy, IMHO. At least drive both (V6 and V8).

The Boss 302 is insanely fast!! First time I drove one I goosed it in 3rd gear and the rear went sideways and I thought the nose was going to lift off the ground. LOVE those cars!!

I didn't think of calling a dealer. A few years ago there was a car rental place that did have Challenger R/T's to rent but I never did rent one because I was not in the market for a new car at the time and figured that they would be very expensive to rent. I now wish I would have. I will have to call some of the dealers around here and see what they say. Thanks for the idea.

Wayne

Yep. Don't base a decision on a 20 minute test drive!

Been there, done that, won't do it again. My guy actually met me Sunday AM with the SECOND demo truck for us to try out! I need a minimum of 24 hours with something for my personal use and preferably 48 hours so both of us can see if it fits!

Hertz has a reasonable try before you buy price for their used rental cars. I believe you get the rental cost back if you buy the vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back