Front struts: replace individually or pairs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2007 Dodge Caliber with about 90K miles- crawled under it and saw the passenger front strut is leaking. The driver side appears fine at this time. Obviously the passenger side needs to be replaced, but should the driver's side be replaced simultaneously to make an even pair? Or is it acceptable to replace just the passenger side?

3 votes for both. Looks like both it is then. Thanks for the feedback!
smile.gif

Would it make sense to just do the rear shocks at the same time as well? I'm not looking to spend money for the sake of spending it, but if it makes sense to do so, I will. I plan to keep the car long term.

How much of a ride difference would the rear shocks make?

It could make a big difference. I replaced my rear shocks on my Silverado at 13,000 miles as the ride was bouncier than I liked. From my past experience with a Dodge truck, the shocks installed at the factory aren't the best. I installed Monroe monotube H-D shocks on the truck and it made a noticeable difference. The rear stays better planted on washboard roads and less bouncy going over interstate bridges (anyone familiar with the I-295 Richmond, VA bypass can tell you some of those bridges are H-E- double hockey sticks). The front struts are still doing OK, BTW.

P'raps apples and oranges. My strut experience is limited to BMW 528es. Absitively no reason to replace struts in pairs, except that usually they fail close together. It was about a year apart on my first one. I had a hard time of it, so I was perfectly fine with waiting until it became more urgent. On another 528e, the spring perches rotted out and I replaced the whole corner with a used one. First one side, then the other in better weather. Several months later from a different outfit. Never even needed to have the alignment adjusted. I haven't bought new struts in 10 yrs for the 528es. I have several used ones already harvested in waiting,

In regards to replacing the rear shocks, you might as well. Monroe and Gabriel are both having rebate promotions until the end of the month. The rebate amount is the price of one of the shocks. "Buy 3 get 1 free"

I sometimes find that if a car has struts in front and shocks in the rear, it is common for the front struts to outlast the rear shocks by a margin, or have the opposite happen.

The buy 3 get one free is an excellent deal for a DIY-er since the labor is practically free.

Do the fronts..leave backs alone unless issues. Just had all 4 done..no major diff in the back...one of my fronts was leaking..

Originally Posted By: SwedishRider
Would it make sense to just do the rear shocks at the same time as well? I'm not looking to spend money for the sake of spending it, but if it makes sense to do so, I will. I plan to keep the car long term.

How much of a ride difference would the rear shocks make?

The front of the car is heavier and will put more stress on the struts.

Take advantage of the get one for free deal. If you can do struts yourself, you can put rear shocks on in your sleep. The car will be safe and ride better even if you can't feel it.

After 90K, the damping performance of the struts has been degraded, so unless you feel comfortable driving with strong damping on one side and weak on the other, change both.
If one has failed, the other probably won't be far behind.
I'd do the rear shocks as well. I think you'll be surprised at how much better ride and handling will be.
These are not expensive parts for common cars, either.
Check our Rock for pricing, although the same parts might be cheaper from AAP with a coupon code and free shipping to your door.

There are situations where you can replace just one, but I don't think the OP's situation is one of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back