I want to scream...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally stole away the better half's car to change the oil...

...only to find that whoever changed it last was some sort of Hercules.

Long story short, the dinky head of the drain plug combined with soft metal (and the aforementioned Hulk) has left me with a need for an adult beverage, a pending Amazon order for a bolt extractor set, and a need for a replacement drain plug.

The specifics:

2012 Chevrolet Cruze 1.4T

I believe (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that the drain plug is 1/2"-20 RH... I'm not necessarily a follower of the Fumoto's and "E-Z drains" out there but wouldn't mind a magnetic plug.

I trust that the varied opinions of the BITOG community will point me toward a quality replacement so I can get this show on the road. Thanks in advance!!!

Oh, what a surprise more incompetence from your local
auto repair and service shop!

Horrible, horrible industry. And they just keep right on
proving it every single day.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Your drain plug is an M14 1.5.

Are you 100% positive? I only ask because I honestly have no clue...

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Why didn't you change her oil and not let some bozo change it ????

She was a recent trade... (the car and the better half)
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: MGPD03

I believe (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that the drain plug is 1/2"-20 RH

Grumpy-Cat-NO.jpg

It's metric!

Pipe wrench will get the old one off.

Aha, gotcha.

I'm going to have to dig around and see if I actually have any smaller/smallish pipe wrenches.

Aha, gotcha.

I'm going to have to dig around and see if I actually have any smaller/smallish pipe wrenches.
If you've got a welder you could weld an old socket to it and use a breaker bar to get it off

It's a 10mm bolt head on that drain plug. Torque spec is something like 10 ft/lbs, which is little more than finger-tight. Luckily the plug itself is large enough to get a large set of Channellock or vise-grip pliers around to twist off. I hope you stopped by the local Chevy dealer and plunked down the $10 or so for a new one. And snug the new one up only just past finger-tight, else it won't come out!

If they did that, might want to have the nylon filter canister cap on hand too. That takes a 24mm socket and a 6" extension, which is typically only available in 1/2" drive.

Lastly, check the coolant level while you're under the hood. If it's low, check the water pump for wetness.

A lot of late GM Drain Plugs are 12mm x 1.75, Giving a GM dealer your VIN will guarantee you get the Correct one!

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

How do you know someone in the Auto Repair Industry screwed up the drain plug?

This might be a good time to get a magnetic plug if you have an interest in one.

The drain plug will be metric, I haven't seen an SAE size for any car from the past 20 years.

Long story short, the dinky head of the drain plug combined with soft metal (and the aforementioned Hulk) has left me with a need for an adult beverage, a pending Amazon order for a bolt extractor set, and a need for a replacement drain plug.

Does that mean you twisted the head off the bolt?

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

You're going to blame it on the shop rather than the guy who thought he would have an sae standard drain plug?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back