Filter dissection: ST3593a and ST7317

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, you may remember me from a few months back. I was pondering the difference between the ST3593a and the ST7317, and decided to finally crack some open to see for myself.

Unfortunately, I didn't splurge the extra $2.07 to get a clean 7317; instead I opened up the one I just took out during an oil change. The ST3593 is new.

Here's a few pics I took. Used a Dremel and a thin cut-off wheel to open them up.

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

This filter is for my 2005 Accord 4cyl. I regularly post at v6performance.net; here's the thread I started over there:

http://www.v6performance.net/forums/showthread.php?t=71935

Just wanted to share this with y'all. Great forum, glad I'm able to contribute.

Excellent photos.
worshippy.gif

I've been using the 7317 on my Dads Honda Powered VUE and other ST filters on quite a few other cars. (PT Cruiser, V8 Fords, V8 Chev, Toyotas, Honda Cars, Taurus, VW Jetta, others)

I've opened everyone with excellent results like yours. The UOAs are normal and engines are nice and quiet during startup and operation.

It's what I'll continue to run with no worries for many more miles to go.
burnout.gif

Thanks for the photos and post.
cheers.gif

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

SWHeat, isn't the bypass valve on the 7317 that little blue thing? It's hard to see from the pictures, but there is a little coil spring inside there.

I forgot to add my calculations earlier:
ST7317 had about 86-1/16 square inches.
ST3593a had about 97-5/8 square inches.

The design of the Bypass Valve on the ST-7317 looks a bit like a Fram Bypass Valve.

Is SuperTech oil filters any good? Are they as good as a $2 Purolator Premium Plus?
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Mr Magoo:
Is SuperTech oil filters any good? Are they as good as a $2 Purolator Premium Plus?
dunno.gif

They are very good IMO. I've run them for years now on many engines, all with excellent results.
cheers.gif

The Purolator plus are $4 filters.

I bought some of the 1 cent filters (2 of them at Pepboys) and then bought 2 of the $1.99 deal and have been notified that the rebate is not valid since I did the 1 cent deal. (sent me a postcard)
banghead.gif

The Pepboys is out of my way and about 24 miles away so no loss that I'll never go into there again.
mad.gif

So, I can get Supertech filters all day for $2.07.

I will not get anything from Pepboys. (and they are the only place to get Purolator plus for $3.99)

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Mr. Magoo: You know, I was thinking the exact same thing. The bypass looks IDENTICAL, as far as I can tell, to the bypass on the PH7317 by Fram. Can anyone comment on this?

Bill, you are an endless fountain of oil knowledge!!

I know very little about bypasses but the one on the 7317 looks a little more 'sophisticated' than the 3593's. If I had to choose one of these filters for my Accord I'd probably now use the 7317. (Prior to seeing these pictures I would have used the 3593 on size alone.) Is my thinking correct?

Haha, short? You should see the Fram equivalent!

I also feel that the bypass on the 7317 is better built, even though its made of plastic.

Here are some filter areas for other brand filters that fit that application. The data has been gathered from a variety of sources.

code:

CarQuest 85334 130.35"

AC Delco DuraGuard PF1127 111.01"

Fram (x2 XG3593A) 100.12"

Fram (Tough Guard TG3593A ) 118.3"

Fram (Extra Guard PH3593A) 103.28"

Honda OEM (Canada) S30281 151.2"

K&N HP-1004 124.1"

ProLine PPL-14459 100"

ProLine PPL-24458 156"

Purolator Prem Plus 14459 112.5"

Purolator (Premium Plus L24458) [Oversized] 174"

Purolator (PureONE PL24458) [Oversized] 198"

Purolator (PureONE PL14459) 114"

STP S2808 94"

WalMart SuperTech ST2808 80"

Mobil M1-104 98.6"

Mobil 1 M-105 [Oversized] 140"

Bosch 3320 [Oversized] 143"

AMSOIL SDF-44 [Oversized] 139"

Supertech ST7317 86"

Supertech ST3593 97.6"

Penzoil PZ-33 98.81"

STP S2903 120.9"

Honda OEM 121.3"

Ahh..the old cut and compare when it comes to "length" of the media. That old chestnut.

It is how not much you can stretch the media out for length.
Or how tall the media is.

Which is the usual determination of the "area" of the media.

You must also factor in, the thickness of the media. Not all do when they determine the area of the media.

On top of that as a consumer you have no way of knowing the composition makeup ( blend) of the media.

Less media with more synthetics can outperform cellulose media.

More filters have been sold on the more is better routine of cutting and stretching out the media and people in engineering just laugh.

Because there is also a point of no return where there is a maximum pleat count one wants based on the size of the endcaps. More than that and the media itself becomes restrictive. The pleats pinch against each other and restrict the flow of oil along with cut back on the dirt holding capacity of the filter.

Looks nice when it's all stretched out though..
wink.gif

I was thinking the same thing. Still, since both are Supertechs, I'd imagine the thickness and media are the same. We're not comparing Fram and Wix.

Does the M1 104 have 5 times the dirt holding capacity to justify it's cost? I highly dooubt it. In fact it would be hard to convince me that it's net benefit is even 25% greater than a 2 buck ST and I am probably givng the M1 too much credit.

quote:

Originally posted by Winston:

quote:

More filters have been sold on the more is better routine of cutting and stretching out the media and people in engineering just laugh.

Of course the type of media makes a big difference. However, the total surface area of the media is important. When one designs a filter they will pick a media with x dirt holding characteristics then calculate a reasonable amount of media to put in the filter.

I personally do not purchase a filter based on the amount of filter media alone. However, I really doubt that the ST7317 media has more dirt holding capacity than the M1 104 which has more media than the ST. Comparing filter area can give us some info to help us pick a good filter. The ST filters have less media than almost every other brand. I do not believe that they have better media to make up for it. Am I wrong about that?

Winston:

The reason I used Super Tech filters initially is that they used the same media as Luberfiner HE filters. HE= High Efficiency. That and some of the Champ engineers were using it on their own cars.

STP has a better yet media.

Mobil 1 has the premium media.

Now can you tell me from the other brands you have with more sq inches of media how "good" their efficiencies are compared to Super Tech, STP, and Mobil 1?

My personal opinion is that unless you look at the premium filter in another brands line, the Super Tech has higher efficiency media. And that includes Wix, Purolator, Fram, Baldwin, Fleetguard, Donaldson, Mann, Mahle, etc..

there is no ADBV on the 3953a... not that i can see and i just put one on 14 miles ago (93 civic), just got done changing oil in the kia and it has a blue ADBV in it... so these filters are obviously interchangable, what harm is done in using a filter with an ADBV on a car where the filter that is required doesnt use one?

OT - is there any filter that is "bigger" with more media that you can use in place of the 3593a without risking engine damage somehow? like a taller one that can be used instead

Intersting info & nice to see the insides of these filters, I use the ST 3593 in my 90 integra, 92 Accord and 98 GSR. The 7317 is what ST recommends for my 1999 Mercury Villager minivan with a Nissan engine.

I am more confused now about the differences between the two ST filters (other than what I see in the pictures) since Honda standardized the oil filter for all their cars except the bigger filter for the S2000. Can anyone help enlighten me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back