Drained Fluid - Plug Was Fillled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just drained the tranny fluid on the 12 Honda Oddy. Fluid didn't look too bad for 30K but the drain plug has a lot of residue on it. Glad I did it, was pretty simple. The drain plug must only accept so much residue would it? Then what? Just thinking that it probably should be changed about every two years as I have heard about possible tranny problems. I was thinking maybe the plug should be longer or a filter to accept more floaters.

Never saw a gear box that didn't have metallic debris in the lubricant. The second law of thermodynamics applies to everything in the universe. All systems degrade over time.

Coop,

That is normal for all Honda tranny drain plugs. I wouldn't worry too much about it. I usually do a drain and fill on my wife's 97 Civic once a year. It's cheap and easy to do.

What type of fluid did you replace it with?

Regards, JC.

Does your odyssey have a transmission filter? I think that some might. I know in my Element, there's an external filter that isn't meant to be replaced, but some do replace it anyway. Honda dealers rarely even know its there.

I'm not saying that it needs to replaced, but if there's one there already, you might not need to worry as much about the floaties.

my accord has [censored] load of gunk every time i drain it.
I did rebuild a year ago and i drive 20-25k each year so i drain every 15k with mag1.

its actually pretty normal. automatic tranny's are basically destine to fail.

shifting happens when it slips, its design to slip. but too much slipping means it has failed. its kind of a wierd thing

Last edited:
Totally normal. Keep changing it every 30k and you'll be fine.
I just changed mine on my CR-V at 210k and it had zero metal on the plug. I remember both on my Civic and back in 2006 on my first change on the CR-V the plugs had a ton of stuff on them. 437k combined on both of those cars, zero transmission issues.

Originally Posted By: 2sld3kf2bt
If you do a quick google search, it seems late model Odyssey's do not have a filter, but do have magnetic drain plugs.

And I'm a French supermodel.

Change the inline or cartridge ATF filter.

If your dealer is too incompetent to change it or figure out the pn, check hondapartsunlimited website for your year, and look at the picture of the AT oil level gauge ATF pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back