Marcos Ambrose and Penske to V8 Supercars

Status
Not open for further replies.
so far that seemed to be a one time race(iirc, when i looked at the Current season schedule, the only "international" race was in NZ..), and I don't recall if we got it on some obscure channel or not.

Having Marcos back will stir things up a bit next year, he races hard, should be great to watch. And of course, he's a Tassie boy!

We had Austin last year and I went!!

The only live races that have been on TV here were Austin last year and Bathurst and Gold Coast a few years ago.

What will happen to V8 Supercars when Ford and Holden fold up Australian manufacturing?

Will it still exist?

Originally Posted By: Win
What will happen to V8 Supercars when Ford and Holden fold up Australian manufacturing?

Will it still exist?

well they let Nissan, Mercedes, and Volvo in over the few years, and it's not like they are using off the line bodies or engines anymore any way. everything is Bespoke for the series.
as far as the bodies just Look how different these look:
1024px-V8_Supercar_COTF_Manufacturers_combined.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V8_Supercars
basically they all start with the same platform,or "Control Chassis" incl. a full roll cage made by Pace Innovations.
then add body panels that more or less look like it's street counterpart,but stretched, or nip/tucked to fit the chassis.

"All cars use a 5.0-litre, naturally aspirated V8-engine with electronic fuel injection, capable of producing between 460 and 485 kW (620–650 bhp). Manufacturers are free to choose between using an engine based on one from their own line up or a generic engine provided by V8 Supercars. Both Ford and Holden use US-based racing engines with pushrod actuated valves and two valves per cylinder. Mercedes and Nissan use modified versions of their own engines, with hydraulic-lift valves and four valves per cylinder. All engines are electronically limited to 7,500 rpm and have a compression ratio of 10:1"

then they all use the same transmission, brakes, wheels, tires, etc...

they're just as cookie cutter as Nascar these days, (which is one reason i'de like to see a head to head competition between the two leagues some time.)

"With Ford Australia officially announcing that production of the Falcon will cease by 2016, alternative models to replace it have been explored, including the Mustang. Triple Eight Race Engineering team owner Roland Dane voiced the idea of allowing two-door coupé body styles to compete in the series. Holden's decision to end local production in 2017 has also forced the V8 Supercars to consider major changes."

Last edited:
It would be an interesting race between a V8 Supercar and a Cup car. The V8 Supercar has the better gearbox and handling, and a Cup car has about 200hp more.

Here is when they had a Cup car and a V8 Supercar at COTA to promote the V8 Supercar race last year.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
JGTC is another fun series to watch. I can't remember the last time I've seen it on TV, however.

Radio LeMans had a free streaming video of the last race from Suzuka. It was kind of strange to watch, I have honestly never seen one of their races before. For a series that is FIA sanctioned, their pit stops were very um lax.

I sat down once to wrap my head around their rulebook, but it made, and still does not, make any sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back