Finally heard from my boy in boot camp!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
i thank him for his service.
Boot camp isn't so bad if you treat it as an adventure.
i went through Marine Corps boot camp in the fall of 1965 and I liked it.
after boot camp i went to ITR (infantry training regiment)that was really fun,got to shoot some great weapons and blow things up.
then I got sent to Viet Nam and that was no fun.

34.gif

He will be given an Entry Level Separation with an uncharacterized discharge. It basically means he was let go during the 180 day "probationary" period. It's meant to be neither good or bad. But I will say that I have seen a few people who have later come back and asked to have it upgraded to Honorable or completely tossed out. Have never seen that happen but they still ask.

Thank him for his service. I remember getting a box from UPS with my son's clothes sent back to us from boot camp, a letter from him followed about a week later. He's still in, this April will be 9 years. Time flies.

Glad you were able to hear from him. Letters are good.

Care packages used to be opened in public. Our DI made us eat all the cookies my sister sent while in formation. They went quickly.

One unfortunate officer candidate got cookies from his mother, and the DI had him eat those cookies in the DI office. As the young man struggled to eat them all, the DI kindly inquired, "need help eating those cookies, boy?" To which the candidate replied, "Yes, Sir!"

So, the DI stepped out in the hallway, spied a couple of other candidates, and directed them, "You and You! Get in here!"

"Start stuffing those cookies in his mouth!".....

I remember back when I was in a guy i was pretty friendly with ran out the gate one afternoon. All they did was bring him back make him wear a Orange bicycle vest and he got sent home eventually.

It's always good to get letters from people when you are there.

My grandson just finished up at Ft. Jackson, now back in High School to finish his senior year. Fort Jackson post on facebook all the companies going thru. Lots of pics of my grandson were in there, plus he called be a few times. He brought home a dvd of his companies routine and more pics of him and his buddies, plus a boot camp year book. They made him a company commander when he got back to H.S. in his ROTC class and we are really proud of him.

I had a friend that joined the Air Force after high school. After a year, we got to see each other again, and I asked him about what he did.
He told me he didn't want to remember anything about basic training, except when he and his friends were learning how to shoot a gun. The rule was to use semi-auto mode, but whenever nobody higher ranking was looking, guys would fire in full auto.

I guess following orders class is not taught in the AF, but then again, the AF vs the Marines.................

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back