Using 100LL in small engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 46Harry
,,,,,, as avgas has a shelf life of a couple of years.

No, Avgas has a shelf life of about 10 years, under awful conditions. And an infinite shelf life under ideal "sealed" modest temperature conditions.

We regularly have aircraft that have been sitting on the Florida Ramps for a decade or more, with old Avgas in them. The gas performs just fine.

Originally Posted By: 46Harry
Avgas used in small quantities in small engines isn't going to cause a health risk to small kids. 100LL is the only fuel approved for use in piston powered aircraft of any vintage as 80/87 and 115/145 octane fuels aren't being produced. I've used avgas mixed 50/50 with E0 premium with good results in my small engines as avgas has a shelf life of a couple of years.

Let me know where precisely you live, and I'll ensure that my kids and I will stay away from your hood from now on.

Q.

Gee, guess that's why all of us older guys are all stupid now from all that lead exposure from leaded fueled cars from the seventies, not to mention all those lawns I mowed as a kid...

Originally Posted By: Propflux01
Gee, guess that's why all of us older guys are all stupid now from all that lead exposure from leaded fueled cars from the seventies, not to mention all those lawns I mowed as a kid...
Don't forget all the lead exposure from shooting.

^^^That explains everything. Shooting, mowing lawns w/leaded gas, breathing in all those fumes during my childhood in the 1970s... My mom always used to tell me if I didn't pay attention in school I would end up a truck driver (true story).

Some of you guys better not drink out of the garden hose either.

I don't think many are talking about running 100LL exclusively in small engines, mostly just for longer term storage. I use non-ethanol 91 octane in my small engines, then run a tank of 100LL into the carb for storage. That is my mowers then snowblower for the Summer.

Some of these engines easily sit idle for 6 months or a bit more. I've never had adverse issues. You never want to pump 100LL directly into a highway vehicle at the local airport, motorbike or 'classic car'. Well I know of an airport or 2 where that may work out.

I would much rather use 100LL for storage than Stabil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back