Best First Motorcycle: How Much Is Too Much Bike??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SwedishRider

Well, I did take the MSF course, and about halfway through the course, I realized that motorcycling just wasn't for me. It's just way too much risk for not nearly enough reward, and I just didn't enjoy it.

Yup. Riding is certainly not for everyone. Glad you were able to make that determination before you spent money on a new bike.

What bike did you ride during the MSF course?

To me, the riding part during the MSF class was neither rewarding nor enjoyable. It's only later when I got my own bike and hit the empty back roads that I really got into it. But doing the same with a top down car can be fun, too.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
What bike did you ride during the MSF course?

To me, the riding part during the MSF class was neither rewarding nor enjoyable. It's only later when I got my own bike and hit the empty back roads that I really got into it. But doing the same with a top down car can be fun, too.

I rode a 250cc Honda Rebel. It was very temperamental, especially considering it had been abused by countless riders before me. Even still, I just knew motorcycling just wasn't for me shortly after I started the course.

Originally Posted By: SwedishRider
Even still, I just knew motorcycling just wasn't for me shortly after I started the course.

My neighbor, who is a MSF instructor, sees that quite often.

Many times, a person will even pass the course with a good score, and then say "Nope, it is just not for me."

This was actually a very big lesson I took away from MSF class as well. Up until that point, I did not fully comprehend how vulnerable the bikers are, and how much more risky bike riding is as compared to driving a car. Any error you make as a rider, and any error other people (or animals) on the road make, may have dire consequences for the person on two wheels, regardless how much protective gear they're wearing.

Still I turned a blind eye on this and continued riding. Not sure for how long though...

My main thing about riding is I tend to go in spurts, I'll ride a lot and often then I'll start to burn out on it or get bored with the same old scenery and lay off for a few weeks. But usually just a few weeks then I'm hungry for it again. As far as best 1st bike, something used, less than 700cc, and upright riding positition, preferably one of the Asian manufacturer's products since specimens fitting those parameters are usually quite inexpensive to acquire and can be sold after a year or so for about the same you paid for it.

or that new Polaris Slingshot.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Still I turned a blind eye on this and continued riding. Not sure for how long though...

I still constantly worry about being hit from behind, while waiting to turn left. I know most accidents are drivers turning left in front of us, i still have a fear of being hit from behind, anytime i'm sitting still.

Closest calls I have had is from people pulling out in front of me, and one old lady cut a corner tight and nearly hit me. I had to gun the throttle and hop a curb to get out of the way.

You try to watch for everything. To me one of the big chances is you're riding by a line of stopped traffic in an adjacent lane. Someone darts out of the line of stopped or slow moving traffic into your lane at just the wrong moment....

Originally Posted By: spasm3

I still constantly worry about being hit from behind, while waiting to turn left. I know most accidents are drivers turning left in front of us, i still have a fear of being hit from behind, anytime i'm sitting still.

I recall reading an article in a bike magazine in the late 70's, wherein the author stated some good practices he used to keep from being flattened by inattentive cagers. When I started riding on the street, I took that advice to heart.

When stopped in traffic, always have the bike in gear, and watch your mirrors. If a car behind is clearly not stopping, you're ready to accelerate out of the way.

If there are lanes of stopped traffic ahead, line up to one side of your lane or the other, so again if cars behind aren't stopping, you can ride up between the stopped cars. This technique has saved me from being flattened twice, over the years.

I cringe whenever I see some Motorcyclist stop directly behind the car in front of them, put the bike in neutral, and then proceed to look around everywhere but their mirrors. I knew a guy that according to witnesses did that, and he never saw the woman who was apparently engrossed in texting her BFF, and didn't notice the stopped traffic at the red light ahead, until she plowed into it.

She of course survived the crash, and will have the chance to text and drive again. The guy I knew was in a coma for awhile, then died.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
Originally Posted By: spasm3

I recall reading an article in a bike magazine in the late 70's, wherein the author stated some good practices he used to keep from being flattened by inattentive cagers. When I started riding on the street, I took that advice to heart.

When stopped in traffic, always have the bike in gear, and watch your mirrors. If a car behind is clearly not stopping, you're ready to accelerate out of the way.

If there are lanes of stopped traffic ahead, line up to one side of your lane or the other, so again if cars behind aren't stopping, you can ride up between the stopped cars. This technique has saved me from being flattened twice, over the years.

I cringe whenever I see some Motorcyclist stop directly behind the car in front of them, put the bike in neutral, and then proceed to look around everywhere but their mirrors. I knew a guy that according to witnesses did that, and he never saw the woman who was apparently engrossed in texting her BFF, and didn't notice the stopped traffic at the red light ahead, until she plowed into it.

She of course survived the crash, and will have the chance to text and drive again. The guy I knew was in a coma for awhile, then died.

Pretty good advice, i never thought about how i stop behind cars in traffic verses with my front end pointed where i can go between.

Scrotum to cranium ratio is your answer. The bike you want "eventually" is the answer. I own a 2004 R1 (first and only). Learned to ride. Did the test 10/10. Although it is very well mannered, as a Vespa before 4-5k rpm. Past 8K it will do a wheelie if i over throttle it, unless i sit forward, then just burns rubber to red-line. What makes the bike a good choice is my self control. No need to upgrade to a 600/800/1000/1300 regardless of experience if you are a moron... the only suggestion is saddle height: flat foot is good. i an throw my bike any way i need to at 140lb (133 at one point, overtime kills) with bike being ~400, so weight isn't an issue, comes with experience.
A guy riding over 40yrs on all types and sizes of bikes suggested it to me. He is dead on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back