Best current production metal jerry gas cans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to buy some. The Harbor Freight ones are the only ones I can find locally but they have bad reviews about leaking. Any ideas on some good quality ones?

I have a 10 litre NATO style jerry can, bought if from eBay for £5.00 a few years ago. It doesn't leak and the finish is still intact.

Can has held:
Petrol
Acetone
Toluene
Xylene
Diesel
Redline SI1
TCW3

Sometimes on their own, sometimes in combination with other fluids, but it has never leaked and you can't even smel it on a hot day in the middle of summer.

NATO can FTW!!

Originally Posted By: Olas
I have a 10 litre NATO style jerry can, bought if from eBay for £5.00 a few years ago. It doesn't leak and the finish is still intact.

NATO can FTW!!

Unless it has correct color - red for gasoline as an example - and gasoline safety certifications/markings for North America, you won't be allowed to fill it at the service station.

How thoroughly do the service station staff check?
How easy/difficult would it be to pull upto the pump and fill your vehicle, open the back door and grab the can, fill it, replace in car, go inside and pay?
Lastly, how do people go about making Molotov cocktails in the US?

Originally Posted By: Danno

NATO can FTW!!

Unless it has correct color - red for gasoline as an example - and gasoline safety certifications/markings for North America, you won't be allowed to fill it at the service station.

Most gas stations here are manned by a person in an armored booth. You could fill paper cups with gasoline if you wanted to. The attendant isn't coming out of her pillbox, and she probably won't notice anyway, since she's doing Facebook on her phone.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
http://www.lexingtoncontainercompany.com/Nato-Jerry-Cans.html

Lexington container has 0.9mm thick cans fully coated cans.

These look great! Might have to try one...or more.
The "safety" spouts on the cheap new plastic cans are the most dangerous gas cans have ever been. Myself and everyone I know, ends up completely removing the spout to pour.
I would think treated gas filled to the top in one of these would stay better longer than plastic too.

Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about the gasoline police. The gas stations up here all have attached convenience stores and the clerk is inside out of visual of the pumps. As long as you ground the container by putting it on the pavement, you should be just fine.

Of just paint the outside red or put some red tape on it. Enough to look like a red car at first glance.

How thoroughly do the service station staff check?
How easy/difficult would it be to pull upto the pump and fill your vehicle, open the back door and grab the can, fill it, replace in car, go inside and pay?
Lastly, how do people go about making Molotov cocktails in the US?

I have put gas into a gallon juice container when my wife ran out and no one questioned me.

Originally Posted By: Chris B.
How about the ones from roverparts.com?

I have a green one from roverparts. It's a nice metal can, came with 2 spouts and 2 gaskets for the spout. I use it for filling my lawn mower. I spilled a tiny bit the first time I used it, because the fuel comes out a little quicker than the "safety" nozzles. Now I stick a small funnel in the fuel filler hole, and it's so nice to just fuel up in 30 seconds, rather than fooling with the "safety" POS nozzles.

It's painted green, but no one has ever said anything to me about putting fuel in it. None of the gas stations around here have attendants that pay attention anyway.

It's a well built can, I keep it in the shed, no smell of gas even on hot days. I doubt I'll ever have to replace it.

Originally Posted By: Danno

NATO can FTW!!

In a pinch I've bought a Gatorade, poured it out, and filled it at the pump when I was stranded without a gas can.

048441221813.jpg

Eagle, they have a funnel on them and don't fall over in your truck bed. Those jerry cans are built for mounting on German military vehicles, so unless your on expedition they are kind of pointless. The Eagles you can throw in your bed, are properly marked and colored, and have a funnel you don't have to mess with.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back