Does Anyone Know If Purolator Fixed Their Filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if purolator fixed the tear issues yet or if they are doing anything at all to improve their Bad oil filters? I wrote to them and asked this question about a month ago and of course got no answer at all that is why we stopped buying them. It seems everyone from oil change jockeys to the auto parts store clerks knows about the tear issues. But nobody knows anything about them fixing the oil filters. Im liking the wix and napa gold (same filter) and even their jobber filters but they are more money and when you buy a couple of hundred filters at a time it adds up.

I'm sure they're trying to fix them. They're too good of a company to not do anything about it.

However, even if they said the issue was fixed, it's still too soon for me to buy them. I know I can check the date stamped on the end to make sure I'm getting a newer one, but I'd rather hold off and use a Wix or Fram Ultra until I'm sure they stopped occurring.

Not admitting to a problem is mistake #1. If they accepted responsibility, i would take their word on it that they fixed the trouble and keep buying them. From now on...fram tg or ultra or trd/oem.

Iv only used this brand once but a quick walk down the automotive department and I can't help but feel they want to become the next Fram ph.

A few of the later made filters posted here seemed okay. Give them another 6 months or so... That will give people here enough time to run them a full OCI and post them up.

Purolator Classic used to be my main oil filter but the tearing issue has changed that.

I really do wonder if Purolator cheapened these filters to meet a price point for Walmart? how much could they really save by taking out a few pleats of paper (which seems to be why they tear).

Originally Posted By: sicko
I'm sure they're trying to fix them.
I'm NOT so sure. Look at Ford: they did a cost-risk analysis on the Pinto gas tank and determined it would be cheaper for them to pay settlements than to fix the issue. Since no one will ever prove that a small tear in the media caused a catastrophic engine failure, Purolator have no risk so why should they spend any money trying to fix it?

Carrying it further, saving 5¢ per filter helps improve their EBITDA which pleases Wall Street, and as we all (should) know, pleasing The Street is more important than pleasing customers.
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Not admitting to a problem is mistake #1. If they accepted responsibility, i would take their word on it that they fixed the trouble and keep buying them.
Same answer. Admitting to the problem would open them up to lawsuits or at least demands for reimbursement. As distasteful as I find it, they made the right business decision.

the classic used to be my favorite also but now napa gold is my go to filter for my own vehicles and some of our rebuilds also. Wix seems to make a nice filter. We will be cutting them opened after around 5000 miles and will post the results eventually

I don't know, but Purolator Synthetic is on sale at Kmart (the synthetic filters don't have the tearing issue) for $6.64-$7 depending on application.

Amazon has that Castrol deal where you get a free Bosch Long Life filter with purchase of a 6qt case of Edge. It runs through the end of the month. Bosch Long Life is the same as Purolator Synthetic, which, like I said, doesn't tear.

I bought a Purolator Synthetic at Kmart to use the next time I change my oil, which will hold me off until the issues with the P1 are long gone.

I just happened to go to KMart today while driving the wife and a friend of hers on a quest for their craft supplies (cross-stich). KMart is a 25+ mile drive in either north or south direction from where we live.

While they were doing their thing, I wandered to the auto parts area and found one and only one Purolator synthetic PSL24651 (that Purolator's web site says doesn't exist) for $7. Amazon price is $10.49. Picked it up for my next conventional oil run, much like tommygunn.

Also saw one and only one 5 qt. jug of QSUD 5W-20 for $19.99 @ KMart. Mentally filed that away for the next QS rebate offer that comes along. That's 12% less than Walmart's price on PP 5W-20.

I paid cash today in the wake of news of KMart having a data breach. I find myself doing that more often wherever I go these days, or (if I can) buying on-line for in-store pickup using a one-time-use secure MasterCard ShopSafe number.

Last edited:
it will take a lot longer than 6 months for them to fix something that they don't admit is a problem. that company is a joke i am not sure what happened but the quality went from good to junk in no time. We cant use them its too much of a liability to use them after knowing the problems and discussing this issue with other rebuilders all over NJ, PA, and NY.at our bi monthly meetings.

Purolator should roll out a new filter to replace the Classic touting more efficient filtration and a more durable cellulose/synthetic blend media.

That would give both the consumer and jobber markets a clear signal that they have made some improvements.

Anything less will continue to cost them sales in the markets that are aware of the tear issue.

The re-introduction would probably come with a price increase to bring the entry level Purolator more in line with the overpriced FRAM OCOD.

Since you are a pro what are you hearing from others around the industry?
I am curious about what actual auto shops are saying about this
When I ask down here I just get looked at kind of funny and I have to explain what I am talking about

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Purolator should roll out a new filter to replace the Classic touting more efficient filtration and a more durable cellulose/synthetic blend media.

That would give both the consumer and jobber markets a clear signal that they have made some improvements.

Anything less will continue to cost them sales in the markets that are aware of the tear issue.

The re-introduction would probably come with a price increase to bring the entry level Purolator more in line with the overpriced FRAM OCOD.

I recall you once saying one of the reasons the torn filter media wasn't an issue (to Purolator themselves) was because the percentage of users who cut them open vs. who don't was an insignificant number. And because of that, Purolator had no reason to change, admit failure etc. Something like that.. I am probably mistaken for someone else though. Since the general public is basically unaware of the issue, I am not too sure what good a "clear signal" of improvement would do for their business.

Either way, its good to see you finally realize they are in need of some improvements. Funny too how an improvement in your eyes is what another unnamed filter manufacturer is already doing. You should really become a politician. Lol.

I've always thought the tear issue was a problem.

It just wasn't as overblown as some on this forum with a larger agenda would lead you to believe.

Some individuals here reacted like Purolators were infected with ebola.

They encouraged people to remove perfectly serviceable filters early in an OCI for fear of damage to their vehicles.

I've always argued that folks should be reasonable and understand the very limited impact a small media tear has on a vehicle.

But I'm not in the business of selling oil filters, either orange or white.

However, some here have been very effective in moving BITOG sentiment from Purolator to another manufacturer.

Was this overzealous fanboy activity or direct marketing?

However, some here have been very effective in moving BITOG sentiment from Purolator to another manufacturer.

Was this overzealous fanboy activity or direct marketing

It's neither ... it was common sense seen by 99.5% of the members here. Nobody here needs to be convinced not to use filters with torm media. On the other hand, they would have to be highly convinced to keep using them, and we all know how sucessful that attempt has been.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
It's neither ... it was common sense seen by 99.5% of the members here. Nobody here needs to be convinced not to use filters with torm media. On the other hand, they would have to be highly convinced to keep using them, and we all know how sucessful that attempt has been.
grin.gif

Very good points, I completely agree. Frankly I can't understand why anyone would use a filter they know or at least suspect COULD have a problem. I don't mean to sound like "Chicken Little" here but when there are so many options out there . . .

I've always thought the tear issue was a problem.

It just wasn't as overblown as some on this forum with a larger agenda would lead you to believe.

Some individuals here reacted like Purolators were infected with ebola.

They encouraged people to remove perfectly serviceable filters early in an OCI for fear of damage to their vehicles.

I've always argued that folks should be reasonable and understand the very limited impact a small media tear has on a vehicle.

But I'm not in the business of selling oil filters, either orange or white.

Was this overzealous fanboy activity or direct marketing?

I agree. The WIX fanboys are out of control on this site.....
smile.gif

Last edited:
Of course Purolator fixed the problem, haven't you heard of their new Purolator Classic Light filter? It now comes with 25% less filtration.
chat.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hyde244
Of course Purolator fixed the problem, haven't you heard of their new Purolator Classic Light filter? It now comes with 25% less filtration.
chat.gif

Funny stuff...

But seriously, I, like most of you, hope Purolator finds a way to turn it around.

They employ a lot of folks in the US and have a long tradition of providing a lot of oil filter for the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back