PP & PPU not good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
I can't believe we're still debating M1 vs. PP...it's like the old "Less filling/Tastes great" commercial.

Tastes great/less filling was at least funny.....

Tell me we aren't really scrutinizing the marketing pics here?
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
So you can tell us the dates you mention when this started?

No sir. I don't work for SOPUS.

However, the low NOACK shows that oil base was changed to something other than traditional group III already in that old PQIA test.

The good news: My last 3 oil changes-PU, PP, PPPP, from oldest to most recent.

The bad news: I changed out the PP last week so it will be at least 6 months before we can compare the UOA's.

That said, SOPUS has never let me down, and I don't expect any variance in wear numbers/performance with the newer PPPP.

I know you want to protect your investment; rest assured, you have purchased an automobile with a long history of near bulletproof reliability from one of the premier engine builders in the world. Any name brand syn or dino oil in the approved grade will protect it equally well when faithfully maintained.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
So you can tell us the dates you mention when this started?

No sir. I don't work for SOPUS.

However, the low NOACK shows that oil base was changed to something other than traditional group III already in that old PQIA test.

Are you then implying QS UD had already been changed to GTL base as well prior to Jan. 2013 based on NOACK test results at PQIA? It has even lower NOACK volatility test results than either PP sample posted on PQIA.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/quakerstatesyn.htm

What base did the Pennzoil Ultra with the 6.6 NOACK test result at PQIA use then? I've seen multiple posts from BITOGers who are (were) PU fans bemoaning the increase in NOACK volatility with the switch to GTL base formulated PUPw/PPT?

http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/penzultra.htm

I don't work for SOPUS either BTW but I have a hard time following your analyses.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Found the TDS's for reference.

Pennzoil Ultra Dated May 2012

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum with PurePlus Technology Dated May 16, 2014

Still nothing wrong with a NOACK of 10.5.

The upper limit is 15.

The new Ultra is not necessarily worse, it's just different.

Agreed.

I'm challenging the assertion by Quattro Pete that lower (than what value hasn't yet been posted) NOACK must = GTL base stock was used.

The National (Pinnacle) 5W-20 conventional I drained out of my truck today shows 14.9% NOACK losses at PQIA. I saw no evidence of oil loss during the run or at drain time. Someone (API) set 15% max for a good reason.

I'm pretty sure I saw some individual quarts of the older Pennzoil Ultra on the shelves at Walmart in my area, but that's not what I bought & put in my truck this afternoon. I put PPw/PPT in that I got the $10 rebate for in 5 qt. jugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back