Low impedance US made multimeter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: wsar10
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Interesting, thanks for sharing!! Ill have to look into that, since I figured Id have to send to Fluke and they would want $150 or some crazy amount to repair... At which time Id just buy a more capable meter. If I can work this, then life is so much better because I just saved a few hundred dollars.

Still want a low impedance meter though
smile.gif

NO, if your into science enough to understand the importance of L.I. meter, than you can surely swap out an LCD......If not there used to be a guy on EBAY that repaired the display issue for (i think) $50.

Time is an important factor...

I don't know what types of circuits you are trying to measure, but I'd be inclined to make up some leads with a break out box that would allow you to plug in a load resistor or a decade box to measure across. This would allow you to easily change your load. If you are working with AC line voltages, there are solenoid type indicators that will load the line.

The decade box is a good idea. I've used them many times to set gains on high end sensors in lab situations. Good point...

As for the display, took mine apart tonight and cleaned it like on the videos online. No change at all. Everything looked nice and clean.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Suggestions?

Fluke 77-IV off ebay. I got one for $120 shipped - brand new in the box. The quality is amazing.

By "funky" what do you mean. Missing segments in the LCD? whole digits missing? display erratic? Second what are you measuring,
something with a lot of turns of wire, a resistor,low ac or dc voltage?
If the display was erratic (ie: on & off,readings innacurate)and you were not measuring a coil's resistance where ac voltage may be present then maybe your input jacks are very dirty (clean with alcohol and q tip ) or the solder joints where the jacks join to the circuit board are cracked.I just retired after working in my provinces utility repair facility and repaired meters for 18 years(mostly fluke). The 87's and 88's in particular always came in with either dirty lcd contacts on the circuit board (older solder type contacts) or broken input jack contacts.

The LCD is just very washed out. looking at it from an angle allows it to be seen a bit better, but not much. Ive taken it apart, cleaned the contacts per the instructions online, and no better...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back