Finally heard from my boy in boot camp!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked up the mail and low and behold, a letter from my boy in boot camp. He says it's tough, but he is really enjoying the challenge. In his letter, he said one fellow went AWOL on the second night, but was "captured" the same night. He didn't say what happened to him, but I can imagine it wouldn't be good.

He says he misses us a lot, but is working on staying focused and motivated. Keep him in your prayers.

Just wanted to share
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
he said one fellow went AWOL on the second night, but was "captured" the same night. He didn't say what happened to him, but I can imagine it wouldn't be good.

Just out of interest, can anyone shed light on what he might face?

Tell him we thank him for his service.

He'll make memories that will last him a lifetime.

What branch, and where is he training?

Originally Posted By: expat
he said one fellow went AWOL on the second night, but was "captured" the same night. He didn't say what happened to him, but I can imagine it wouldn't be good.

It is still boot camp; most likely a 'drawn out' administrative discharge. The goal is to separate those who can fit in from those who cannot. You can't ruin someone's life after two days of military service. The guy who went AWOL when I was in AF basic was clearly forced by his officer grade father to join.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 29662
Tell him we thank him for his service.

He'll make memories that will last him a lifetime.

What branch, and where is he training?

Army - Fort Jackson, SC

Thanks for all the prayers and well wishes
smile.gif

Thanks for keeping us informed of his progress & glad to hear he is doing well. My family & I regularly remember all our service members in our prayers, and we will do so for your son.

Good time to be there,
weather is cool,
Fort Jackson can get hot during the summer.

Write him plenty of letters,
Mail Call is always welcome...

Remember, take the days one at a time, don't worry about yesterday (and the screw ups that happened),
Don't worry about tomorrow,(and what may happen)
Worry about today, and make it the best you can...

Discharges from Boot usually get a trip home, with a code on their discharge
"inelgible to re-enlist, RC4"
(if memory serves me correctly)

Last edited:
I still have every single one of the cards I was sent. Care packages and letters mean everything when it's hot, sticky, tough and lonely.

Be proud and do your own research. Make sure he makes the best of his opportunity to succeed, even when he thinks it's not worth it and wants to get out early.

To paraphrase, "A father's love is a blessing." Just prayed for your boy. To be precise, I prayed that he be given the strength of your love for him as well as that of the Almighty. I guess that the Lord's love trumps that of a Dad but I cannot even begin to relate to that. I'm a Dad now & I know just how much I love my boy & my Dad. If your boy knows how deeply you love him, he'll do well in this life. Let him be a peace-maker & a peace-keeper. And may the good Lord give him the wisdom to know the difference.

John.

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
Good time to be there,
weather is cool,
Fort Jackson can get hot during the summer.

Write him plenty of letters,
Mail Call is always welcome...

Remember, take the days one at a time, don't worry about yesterday (and the screw ups that happened),
Don't worry about tomorrow,(and what may happen)
Worry about today, and make it the best you can...

Discharges from Boot usually get a trip home, with a code on their discharge
"inelgible to re-enlist, RC4"
(if memory serves me correctly)

Your memory is pretty accurate. When I was at basic training in Great Mistakes I knew guys that gone U/A 2 to 3 times and the Navy tried to keep them in. Then again this was in the summer of 99 and the Navy had cut the force down beyond the bare minimum and literally were bending over backwards to retain everybody.

Just picked up the mail and low and behold, a letter from my boy in boot camp. He says it's tough, but he is really enjoying the challenge. In his letter, he said one fellow went AWOL on the second night, but was "captured" the same night. He didn't say what happened to him, but I can imagine it wouldn't be good.

He says he misses us a lot, but is working on staying focused and motivated. Keep him in your prayers.

Just wanted to share
smile.gif

Thanks for sharing.

Originally Posted By: expat

Not much, sent home as a non hacker is about it. On the second night there probably not even the Army equivalent of a Captains Mast, just an admin discharge.

Mail Call was always awesome in OSUT (didn't do basic, armor branch is combined 19 weeks of [censored] with a DS, pretty much basic and AIT lumped into one, but no Benefits of AIT, basic rules all the time)

what made it awesome wasn't the fact of getting mail, it was the show of how well the DS could "ninja star" a letter at someone, they sure do have some velocity.

id advise not sending anything food related, either A. The DS is gonna enjoy it, or B. Its going to end badly (we had a guy get a 6 lb bag of starburst candies, my plt had 30 seconds to devour it or we would regret it, needless to say the bay was rainbow colored in puke afterwards)

send him instructions on how to use a floor buffer, that's almost as important as weapon maintenance..

qtips, baby wipes, insect repellent, foot powder, batteries, stenopads, inkpens, pencils, envelopes, stamps are all must haves and really all we could get sent...

calf high white socks were another one eventually needed, as were razor blades, shave cream, and bar soap (no body wash)

remind him this.
people have finished this before you, you aren't gonna die. Don't do stupid [censored], go with the flow.
make it to breakfast- PT is over you're alive
make it to lunch- half the day is done
make it to dinner- only little tasks left
make it to "personal time"- day is done, scrub yourself, sleep
repeat.
taking it one day at a time is better than looking ahead weeks at a time.

idk the AIT experience, so he has that to look forward to.
active, reserve or guard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back