TGMO Pricing/Decision

Status
Not open for further replies.
If there's no possible way to figure out which of these two is the best (whatever that means), doesn't that make the best, the cheapest, most available of the two?

Originally Posted By: JerryBob
I get my TGMO here. Works out to about $5.80/quart with shipping. But the minute the price goes up, I'll drop back to AFE. I have two UOAs with AFE and they were stellar.

I am anxiously awaiting a UOA with TGMO to compare the two oils. I do not expect the TGMO UOA to be any better than AFE, but hopefully no worse.

http://www.midatlantictoyotaparts.com/?p..._str=002790WQTE

You got me excited! I checked and shipping to Chicago was $25.87.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: richport29
Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Waste of money to spend any extra on TGMO vs a great oil like M1. At same price maybe.

Here TGMO is actually cheaper than M1 AFE is.

I don't envy Canadian motor oil prices!

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
You'd think he had just bought a Lambo.

^ Doushebag

I would also look into the High Moly Mazda Genuine motor oil since Toyota dealers aren't proving especially helpful

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BTLew81

I love comments like this. Why even bother? I'm asking an oil related question on an oil related forum, like the rest of us. I'm looking for real world experience/thoughts, which I have received, you being the exception.

It's a Honda..I realize that. It's a nice car, I work hard for my money, and I take pride in what I own. Never claimed it was a lambo, nor am I asking about some super exotic oils.

Always amazes me that folks waste their time making comments like the one above.

Ignore these type of people, they make useless comments that have nothing to do with the topic...only trying to rile people up. For what its worth, you do have a very nice ride on your hands and I know that you want it to receive the best of care. The Fram Ultra filter is a good start, you can run it for two intervals if you wish. As far as the TGMO vs M1, I have run both in my Accord with the K24 and it "liked" both. I was a TGMO fan boy for a while, and I still like it a lot. It has great specs and I like the traditional additive package. I have M1 AFE 0w20 in now and I have to say its certainly a smooth running oil in the K24, quiet as well. It does have a nice chunk of PAO true synthetic if that makes any difference to you. TGMO does offer lighter start ups, not sure if that makes any real world difference in wear, but its something to consider. If it were me, I would go with either one and sleep well at night. M1 AFE 0w20 is easy to come by and goes on sale at WM often FWIW. Enjoy the ride!

Thanks, Greg and all. I think it will be AFE or EP. I do like the fairly large slug of PAO, among other things. Thanks again.

You will likely get much more than 7.5k on the oil. I recently changed the M1
in my '13 Accord with a couple hundred over 10K when the MM changed to 10%. Not a
lot of city driving so that may affect things, but I would still expect more than 7.5K.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC

You got me excited! I checked and shipping to Chicago was $25.87.
frown.gif

Rats, I must have jinxed it. I used to pay about $6 for shipping. I just checked and it went up to $19 for me in DC.

Looks like it is back to AFE for me. No worries, Mobil-1 0w20 is a fine oil, and my UOAs bear that out.

Last edited:
I've used both AFE and Toyota 0W-20 and like them. I currently have the Toyota oil in both of my vehicles (mixed with one quart of Mobil 0W-40). I had to try the Caterham blend at least once. Toyota gave me an excuse when they messed up on a transmission flush on my GS400 and gave me 5 quarts of free oil last year.

I really lucked out recently and found a dealer that had it on sale for around $4.00 a quart and ended up buying 24 quarts. I felt like taking the receipt to the previous dealership that wouldn't budge on $7.50 quart, even if I bought in bulk.

This is the only time that I can brag about cheap oil prices in Canada. I have a Toyota dealer 20 mins from me and he sells me 5L jugs of TGMO for $25.
To the OP, you have a nice ride there. Buy which ever lets you sleep well at night.

Was here for one of my infrequent visits to BITOG, and saw this thread with TGMO in the title. Since I have a 2013 Tundra that is still in the dealer provided servicing, I thought I would add my 2¢. The Tundra has a large skid plate that must be removed to get to the drain plug and filter. There are 8-10 bolts that must be removed to access. Since Toyota recommends 10K OCI, and I don't drive 10K in 12 mo. I'm sticking with dealer oil changes. An OCI of 10K will mean changing at approx 12-15 mo. The truck will still outlast me and I won't have to deal with that skid plate. There are many reasons for choosing a particular oil.

I also have an '06 Avalon that has seen only Schaffer's 5W30 every 10K since the beginning and I've had no problems. Only 119K and plan to replace it in 2-3 years.

John
W.TN

So, I've been trying to decide on M1 AFE/EP or TGMO for the new Accord. The filter will absolutely be a FU.

After shopping locally for TGMO, either dealers dont stock it or they will not bugde on the 7.40/qt price. A couple of other dealers have it at slightly better prices, but the cost of gas used offsets the price change.

I did find an online seller that will sell and ship the TGMO for about 76 dollars, which is around 6.30/qt. Pretty good, especially with shipping.

However, I continue to mull if I should go with TGMO or the M1. Both great oils, but I do like the start-up weight of TGMO and feel like it might net me a little more MPG. I'm confident it will hold up well, as I think the MM will track at about 7,500 miles until placing me at 15%. Any thoughts? If I go with M1, I am looking at around $24 and change for 5 quarts, so the price difference is not much. My gut tells me to try TGMO for a couple of changes and see how I like it, as many seem to be very satisfied with it.

Thoughts?

Since TGMO is being supplied in bulk to Toyota/Lexus dealers another low cost option on getting TGMO as cheaply as possible that hasn't been mentioned is to negotiate with the parts/service dept a deal on filling a couple of empty oil jugs. Some members have gotten some decent discounts this way.

I find it exceedingly curious that when folks argue against gIII oil's standing as a synthetic, they are rebuffed with, 'gIII is just as good as PAO now a days'. Yet, when discussing the virtues of M1 EP, the first thing that's mentioned is it's PAO content. All these oils are top shelf and the performance distinctions between AFE, EP and TGMO are too fine to notice or worry about. Use any of them and dont think twice while enjoying your vehicle. The new Accord, as they all are, is very nice indeed.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

Since TGMO is being supplied in bulk to Toyota/Lexus dealers another low cost option on getting TGMO as cheaply as possible that hasn't been mentioned is to negotiate with the parts/service dept a deal on filling a couple of empty oil jugs. Some members have gotten some decent discounts this way.

Not my idea of how to spend a Saturday...

Tell me about it...

New car pride and joy.

Congrats on your new Honda purchase.

I would choose the readily available M1 in your situation.

I bought my first Honda last year; 2013 Pilot EX-L.

First oil change i did (changed early around 3k milles) was M1 0w-20 w/ M1 filter from an Advanced Auto Parts special.

Ive used NAPA Full Synthetic Ow-20 twice since then ($3.50/qt on sale) with Bosch Premium filters (rockauto) and run the MM a little past 10%.

I change the filter each time. Honda recommends changing filter every other time. If I were to follow that, I would use the Fram Ultra.

I feel comfortable using almost any brand of full sythetic 0w-20 (M1, NAPA, Castrol, PP) because I use the maintenance monitor to follow OCI's, I dont do extended OCI's, I am the original owner, and I dont consider the driving conditions severe service.

I bought the 8 year/120k $0 deductible extened care Honda warranty and plan on keeping the truck as long as possible. I'll follow the MM while under warranty so I'll probably never see OCI's over 7000 miles.

I love comments like this. Why even bother? I'm asking an oil related question on an oil related forum, like the rest of us. I'm looking for real world experience/thoughts, which I have received, you being the exception.

It's a Honda..I realize that. It's a nice car, I work hard for my money, and I take pride in what I own. Never claimed it was a lambo, nor am I asking about some super exotic oils.

Always amazes me that folks waste their time making comments like the one above.

Cut him some slack. Did you notice where he is from? He's got a geographically induced social interaction handicap.

Me either, and then having to hope they actually put TGMO in the jugs and not something else. I don't trust the dealers around here at all. Maybe in other parts of the country it's different. Just saying........
21.gif

Originally Posted By: wemay
I find it exceedingly curious that when folks argue against gIII oil's standing as a synthetic, they are rebuffed with, 'gIII is just as good as PAO now a days'. Yet, when discussing the virtues of M1 EP, the first thing that's mentioned is it's PAO content. All these oils are top shelf and the performance distinctions between AFE, EP and TGMO are too fine to notice or worry about. Use any of them and dont think twice while enjoying your vehicle. The new Accord, as they all are, is very nice indeed.

Yes, IF one cares NOT one little bit about viscosity index, then the XOM labelled (we all know they make TGMO for consumption here in the states) products might actually be BETTER,
27.gif

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Me either, and then having to hope they actually put TGMO in the jugs and not something else. I don't trust the dealers around here at all. Maybe in other parts of the country it's different. Just saying........
21.gif

No reason to "hope" the bulk oil is TGMO just ask them. And if they say it's TGMO OW-20 and if that's what they say they use for oil changes I don't know any dealer that would lie about it. If they use another oil, if they do it's more likely they would be proud to say so; it's Castrol, Pennzoil or some other name brand.
Your fear is unfounded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back