Mobil TDT vs. Delo vs. Delvac

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is just a mental note deal. Mobil TDT is the equivalent to Delo. More people would buy Mobil over Delo, based off of the name.. Right? What about Delvac?

With that said, Im looking to ditch the T6 as the wear numbers are higher than most with my engine. The engine isnt old, only 60k~ miles on it. So Im thinking about going from 5w40 to the 10w30 bandwagon. I seen it work here and Im looking around for oils in 10w30. This would be in my 6.0 PSD

Just always wondered the Delvac vs. Mobil name...

Last edited:
Delvac = delo= rotella t
ESP Delvac = rotella T6 = delo xle
M1 TDT is geared more for consumer pickups, Delvac is geared more for tractors (semis) and heavy duty engines.

delo,delvac,rotella=product lines.

There is 0W-30 delo, 10W-30, 5w-40, 15w-40 etc; some are syn, some aren't.

Would I buy mobil over delo because of the name? No.

Last edited:
Hi,
NattyBoh - Delvac is the name give to a whole range of Industrial/Commercial lubricantion products produced by Exxon-Mobil. It was around a long time before Mobil 1 hit the marketplace

Delo is the Caltex equivalent range, Rimula/Rotella is the Shell equivalent range

I have used Delvac, Delo and Rimula/Rotella products for well over 50 years!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NattyBoh
This is just a mental note deal. Mobil TDT is the equivalent to Delo. More people would buy Mobil over Delo, based off of the name.. Right? What about Delvac?

With that said, Im looking to ditch the T6 as the wear numbers are higher than most with my engine. The engine isnt old, only 60k~ miles on it. So Im thinking about going from 5w40 to the 10w30 bandwagon. I seen it work here and Im looking around for oils in 10w30. This would be in my 6.0 PSD

Wear numbers?

You are aware(I hope)that a uoa is NOT an accurate way to measure wear right. You can't seriously believe that a few ppm in a uoa is in any way relevant to actual wear.

A uoa is a tool to check the serviceability of an oil and to look for coolant and silica intrusion. They are not a measure of wear.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Wear numbers?

You are aware(I hope)that a uoa is NOT an accurate way to measure wear right. You can't seriously believe that a few ppm in a uoa is in any way relevant to actual wear.

A uoa is a tool to check the serviceability of an oil and to look for coolant and silica intrusion. They are not a measure of wear.

Your circular reasoning is in no way beneficial to the OP.

I used Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme 5W40 full syn for 250,000 miles in my '04 E-350 6.0 PSD, had original turbo & basically ZERO consumption when the transmission died (lost reverse) & we got rid of it-and we had 6.0s that lost 2 or 3 variable vane turbos running dino.

Thanks guys.

I thought UOAs were accurate to gauge internal engine wear? I guess its something to do every so many years once you find an oil that is "lasting" in your engine, and then check it periodically after that?

What about this.. Which companies make a 10w30 besides Rotella?

Once again thanks guys.

Last edited:
Both Delo and Delvac are also available in 10w-30. Plus there are even others such as Mystik; they had a semi-syn 10w-30 long before T5 became the new kid on the block.

I think it's Delo that now has a 15w-30 coming out! Very strong HTHS rating, because the VII portion of the add-pack can be very minimal, which reduces shearing, etc. I would be very interested in trying it, but it will have to wait a while as I just loaded up an OCI in my Dmax, and I typically run 3+ years on them.

Last edited:
If the "sonic shear" numbers were published or stated on the product container, it would take some of the guess-work out of choosing a lubricant.

The lubricant manufactures have those specifications in their product data base, along with everything else in the recipes.

Why the sonic shear information is privileged is a mystery.

I see the delvac put against mobil1 TDT. TDT says its fully syn, delvac says blended. So?
Depends on which Delvac-the big $ Delvac 1 is full synthetic, while the cheaper (but still excellent) Delvac 1300 is a synthetic blend. They both will have some unknown percentage of hydro cracked Group III, I'm not convinced that there's a huge difference, other than cold pumpability. It all depends on how cold it gets & whether you can plug in block/oil pan heater or not.

Lowest Ive seen was I think was 3 deg and -10 wind chill ( doesnt matter, I know ). I do use my block heater during the winter, it comes on 4 hours prior to me starting it up. Takes the block to around 70 deg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back