NISSAN Ester oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dparm
To be clear, OP, does Nissan REQUIRE that oil, or is it simply recommended? The wording is very important.

When they came out with the new DLC coated valve train, it could be a bit noisy. Nissans response: check out this great oil which will quiet the valve train.

At 10+ a qt, we even recommend it! Many nissan dealers are not really that aware of it and quarts are dusty in the parts department. My local dealer never even tried to recommend it, instead a normal $30 oil change (I simply give them my own oil, pay for filter/labor).

In the US, any 5/30 certified oil is allowed, strait from the manual. Wider ranges are allowed in non-US areas, also strait from the manual.

I use PU 5/30 and have posted my UOA trending in the other forum. May go to M1 0/40 once warranty is over. We shall see.

- b

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
Originally Posted By: jayg
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
There was a recent post here,can't remember if it was an Infinity G or Nissan Z,that the owner used the Nissan Ester oil,and the top end of the engine through the oil fill hole was spotless and clean as new. I'm guessing it's a really good oil. There's some Nissan parts sites online where you can get Nissan fluids really cheap.

Why is this ever accepted as some kind of scientific test here? Down the fill hole of my wifes Explorer is spotless and it has had whatever jiffy lube had around for years. Says more about the motor is easy on oil than if the oil is good.

Lol.. Exactly! .. Had the valve cover off dads Buick 3.8 V6 with 150k about a year ago and it was spotless running on whatever cheep oil and filters were on sale and 5-8k OCI and it was spotless. Frankly he thinks I'm crazy for wasting good money on quality synthetic oil he has no issues running cheep oil and getting 300k out of his cars.

I think what sludges/varnishes up engines are ridiculously long oil change intervals. I've seen pictures of insanely sludged/varnished engines that were using only "the best" high dollar synthetics.

Originally Posted By: bvl
When they came out with the new DLC coated valve train, it could be a bit noisy. Nissans response: check out this great oil which will quiet the valve train.

And, if that didn't quiet the owner, then they could do a reflash. My dealer has nothing posted about this oil, as I've mentioned before. Mobil products are the service fill here, and they have posters all over the place.

When we had the M37, Castrol GTX Synblend was what they used here. Never even offered the insanely priced 'ester'.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back