Having a gun on you....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like my Ruger LCR in .357Mag. Excellent weapon...very concealable. Hammerless design allows it to slip in and out of concealed placement without catching. 100% zero worries about malfunctions. I have complete confidence in it.

I used to have a .380 auto. I eventually came to the conclusion it was inadequate for my needs. The small possibility of it jamming was a concern along with the chance the slide would catch my hand in a stressful situation.

Now if I would just carry it more often! The Ruger doesn't do ANY good when left at home.

First of all, I wouldn't hand over my gun, regardless if he got the drop, been shot before, I will get shot again. I am not giving up my gun. I Like open carry and have done so when I lived in PA. Second, I wouldn't even tell anyone if I was that guy, I d report it stolen. I wouldn't report, I was wearing a gun and was robbed-too embarrassing.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
First of all, I wouldn't hand over my gun, regardless if he got the drop, been shot before, I will get shot again. I am not giving up my gun. I Like open carry and have done so when I lived in PA. Second, I wouldn't even tell anyone if I was that guy, I d report it stolen. I wouldn't report, I was wearing a gun and was robbed-too embarrassing.

Wow, you really believe in the "pry it out of my cold dead hands" rhetoric...

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

I guess I value my life more than a piece of metal/wallet/etc - others may not.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Now if I would just carry it more often! The Ruger doesn't do ANY good when left at home.

Yep, can't protect yourself or anyone else if you don't have it with you!

The only person in my immediate family who does not have a CWP is my eldest daughter. She lives in Austin TX that may give everyone a clue.

I have sent folks to the NRA website and they were amazed at all the stories of good outcomes due to the fact that someone was armed and willing to use it.

You will NEVER see them on the news...

Originally Posted By: surfstar

I guess you guys have never heard of a crook shooting/executing someone after the person complied and gave them whatever they wanted? I'll take my chances in a shootout vs being at the mercy of some thug. Going to be a lot harder for the perp to put a bullet in my skull with all the noise, flash, and flying lead.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Originally Posted By: surfstar

I guess you guys have never heard of a crook shooting/executing someone after the person complied and gave them whatever they wanted? I'll take my chances in a shootout vs being at the mercy of some thug. Going to be a lot harder for the perp to put a bullet in my skull with all the noise, flash, and flying lead.

Well the guy could've shot you before you hand over the gun? Odds are he won't after you've made his life a bit easier...
Anyways, I sure am glad I don't have to deal with situations like this, playing the odds when guns are involved doesn't really appeal to me at all...

Well the guy could've shot you before you hand over the gun? Odds are he won't after you've made his life a bit easier...
Anyways, I sure am glad I don't have to deal with situations like this, playing the odds when guns are involved doesn't really appeal to me at all...
He could. You can only do so much. If someone decides to pop you in the back of the head while you're paying for a candy bar at the store it's just your time. I'm curious of how you're immune to crime? Where can I buy the book?

Originally Posted By: hatt

He could. You can only do so much. If someone decides to pop you in the back of the head while you're paying for a candy bar at the store it's just your time. I'm curious of how you're immune to crime? Where can I buy the book?

Rural Ontario, I won't say there is no crime, but there is very little property crime in my area, let alone thugs with guns. The last theft I've heard of in my neighborhood, was a tree cut down on a property line. No guns were needed to settle that dispute. There are shifty characters around for sure, but I doubt any bother to take the risk of carrying a handgun as they might go to jail for a routine traffic stop... Atleast around here, its easy to identify possible trouble makers and areas to avoid, which cuts down your risk tremendously.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
When someone talks about an "LCP" they are not talking generally about a class of small pistols. They are specifically talking about the Ruger LCP, which is probably the most popular small pocket pistol in the country.

RugerLCP2.jpg

Dont hold that in your hand for too long !!!
It will start to rust in a few minutes (P.O.S)......

Rural Ontario, I won't say there is no crime, but there is very little property crime in my area, let alone thugs with guns. The last theft I've heard of in my neighborhood, was a tree cut down on a property line. No guns were needed to settle that dispute. There are shifty characters around for sure, but I doubt any bother to take the risk of carrying a handgun as they might go to jail for a routine traffic stop... Atleast around here, its easy to identify possible trouble makers and areas to avoid, which cuts down your risk tremendously.
Sounds like a nice place to carry. Might need to dispatch a moose or something. A gun is a tool.

Having a gun doesnt always solve a problem. Using one's brain is the best asset anyone can have. If your going to carry; carry conceled and make it your absolute last choice in making a life altering decision for both parties. Had my permit since 12' and have been lucky to have never needed to use it. That itself is piece of mind. Open carry is a bad idea minus ranges and hunting imo.

Originally Posted By: Marco620
Open carry is a bad idea minus ranges and hunting imo.

Why ?

I grew up in Arizona where open carry was the only legal way to carry your handgun, that worked well for many years. IMO there's far less chance that an encounter would lead to lethal force in open carry vs concealed situation, open carry would have less encounters to begin with. I know there are scewballs that wouldn't care but how many people are going to mess around when they know someone has a Ruger Blackhawk strapped to their side ?

Guess it all depends where you live and how you were brought up. Open carry isn't cool in Michigan but it's second nature in Arizona.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FastGame

Why ?

I grew up in Arizona where open carry was the only legal way to carry your handgun, that worked well for many years. IMO there's far less chance that an encounter would lead to lethal force in open carry vs concealed situation, open carry would have less encounters to begin with. I know there are scewballs that wouldn't care but how many people are going to mess around when they know someone has a Ruger Blackhawk strapped to their side ?

Guess it all depends where you live and how you were brought up. Open carry isn't cool in Michigan but it's second nature in Arizona.

Wild Wild West baby!!

Originally Posted By: FastGame

Why ?

I tend to agree with you.

But tell me....do folks down there still open carry? I've spent plenty of time in that state in the last few years and honestly don't recall seeing anybody openly carrying a firearm. I was kind of surprised after the stories I'd heard similar to yours.

It's been a few years since I've visited Arizona so I'm not sure. My brother still lives there and said open carry is still alive but not like the old days since CW is now legal.

edit= Last time I was there was 2006, I did see pickups with gun racks filled and motorcyclist with handgun & holster. Don't remember see people walking around with guns.

Last edited:
Open carry is legal here but nobody does it. At least not near the cities, city people freak out when they see guns, "gun bad". You would get the police called on you three times a day. I am not kidding.

My brother lives in Arizona (Tucson) and OCs a Springfield XD 45. We flew there for his wedding in October and I didn't see a single OC'd firearm for the four days we were there. I suspect that since CC is allowed, most people have moved to that.

OC is also allowed in NC (as is CC, with a permit). I see an OC'd firearm every now and again (probably once a month or so), but everyone I know who carries, myself included, carries concealed.

If you are going to any location at a time when you think you may need a gun (example - high crime area at 2am), then the rational thing to actually do is to not go there. For the average citizen if there is any situation that possibly warrants bringing a gun and potentially using lethal force to defend yourself, you need to not go there or get into that situation. If your instructor did not drill this concept into your heads in your CC class you got ripped off. Folks that have some decent training and CC everyday go to great pains to avoid being in any places or situations where they might actually need to use the weapon. It seems counter intuitive but having a gun means you need to be more vigilant to remove yourself from escalations of any possible argument/conflict or certainly any dangerous situation. Carrying a gun either OC or CC does not make you a cop, or an enforcer of other people's behavior, and it certainly should not make you "brave".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back