Startup Knock

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to the doctor this past Wed. Parked next to me was, I think, a 2012 or newer Mazda Tribute. When I came back to my truck I sat there for a few minutes reading my paper work from the doctor. A lady that was also in the doctors office got into the Tribute. Upon startup the engine knocked very loud for about 3-4 seconds and then was quiet.
Tribute owners, or anyone with knowledge of the Tribute, is this normal? I am guessing the oil filter was the culprit. I swear to you, it actually sounded like the crank and rods were going to come out of the oil pan!
shocked.gif

Without hearing it can't exactly say. But, since it's posted on the OF board, what's generally responsible for a "start up rattle" is a compromised/bad adbv.

Only start up rattle I've heard in years was on son's 4.6L Explorer when using an aftermarket/quick lube filter with nitrile adbv. Switched back to FL820S next time, rattle gone completely.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Without hearing it can't exactly say. But, since it's posted on the OF board, what's generally responsible for a "start up rattle" is a compromised/bad adbv.

Only start up rattle I've heard in years was on son's 4.6L Explorer when using an aftermarket/quick lube filter with nitrile adbv. Switched back to FL820S next time, rattle gone completely.

Had the same issue on my 03 Ranger 4.0L with a P1 filter, switched back to the 820s and it was gone.

Last edited:
If this is the 2.3 equipped 4 cylinder, I have read of actual cases where they did have rod knock and they needed new engines. I don't remember what causes the issue, probably low oil level. Maybe this one was in the stages of failure.

Last edited:
Without trying to sound sexist, most of the vehicles I've heard making dangerous noises were piloted by females. For some reason, they think that because the car is still moving under its own power, it's fine.

For the record, I've seen a few that were operated by males as well, but those were complete junkers.

Had similar issue with my Tacoma when running WIX 51348. Changed it out and put a OEM Toyota 90915-YZZD1 and the startup noise went away. Defective anti-drainback valve??

A 2012? Must be the victim of a quickie lube junk filter with a bad ADBV. I can't imagine it had any serious engine issue being that new UNLESS she is one of those who has never changed the oil in it yet... or checked it for that matter.
sick.gif

Never know about this stuff. My wife's Pacifica was tapping at 50K miles. Bad followers. New follower/rocker arm assembly on one cylinder head and she's good to go. It seems to use oil though. 5.5qt fill, I topped it up with maybe half a quart in about 3300 miles. When drained, only a little over 4 qts came out. Even given some retained in the filter, had to have been a quart low. I try to change hers at 3k miles, just because she has probably never checked oil in her life. My driveway is very unlevel, so me checking it at home is a no-go. I check it every time I drive it and stop somewhere somewhat level (rarely). By changing it that often, I am sure it is full more of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back