Toyota red antifreeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it dexcool or not? I would think not, as Toyotas don't seem to have the kind of issues some GM cars with dexcool do. Anyone know for sure?

It a great AF for older Toyota's, like my 1997 T4R, SR5 that require a "non silicate formula". I bought mine, (4 Gallons), at Car Quest a couple of years ago. The full strength Toyota Red sold for about $21 a gallon. No Silicates and phosphorus is what my 3rd gen Toyota call for as a fill.

No. It's an Asian P-H/OAT. Only minor negative, it's recommended service interval is ~2years/30kmiles. It is getting sorta pricey too as the Super Long Life pink is superseding it. On the plus side though, it comes as a concentrated formula as opposed to the SLL premix.

Afaik, Toyota says the SLL pink is backward compatible for all Toyotas. But don't take my word for it, Google it and see.

That said, if you have any doubt simply go with the LL red you inquired about.

Use Zerex Asian Car coolant. It is very close to the OEM formulation at about half the cost I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Ashland makes Toyota coolants..Regards

I use Prestone 50/50 for my 1993 Toyota P/U and the same for my 2005 Toyota Avalon. 50/50 is silicate and phosphate free. I flush my system every other year and don't even reach the 100K or 150K mile interval, maybe 20K miles at the most.

I have your exact same car and I would stay with the Toyota Red.

If you want to cheap out, then you can start to experiment with other brands and formulations, etc..

Toyota Red is the factory coolant for your vehicle.

Neither Toyota Red or Toyota Pink are DEX-COOL. They are specific formulations and also different from each other.

Toyota Red is for 1994 and older Toyotas and Toyota Pink is for 1995 and newer Toyotas. Toyota Red shouldn't be used in 1995 and newer Toyota vehicles and Toyota Pink shouldn't be used in 1994 and older Toyota vehicles.

No other coolant, except aftermarket clones of Toyota Red and Pink specifically labeled so should be used in Toyota vehicles, including DEX-COOL, all varieties of Prestone, any green coolant, any universal coolant, or any all-makes-and-all-models coolant. It will result in cooling-system problems and failures over the long run.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Neither Toyota Red or Toyota Pink are DEX-COOL. They are specific formulations and also different from each other.

Toyota Red is for 1994 and older Toyotas and Toyota Pink is for 1995 and newer Toyotas. Toyota Red shouldn't be used in 1995 and newer Toyota vehicles and Toyota Pink shouldn't be used in 1994 and older Toyota vehicles.

No other coolant, except aftermarket clones of Toyota Red and Pink specifically labeled so should be used in Toyota vehicles, including DEX-COOL, all varieties of Prestone, any green coolant, any universal coolant, or any all-makes-and-all-models coolant. It will result in cooling-system problems and failures over the long run.

My '01 Lexus came with Toyota RED!
smile.gif
And, I've continued to use it. I don't believe that PINK arrived at the dealerships until after/around 2004

Last edited:
I have used the red and pink in the same 2002 lexus GS300 with no issues. Changed the red after 30k and now have the pink in there. I run Prestone silicate free yellow in my 91 4runner and have since the day I bought it new.

Quote:
......Toyota Red is for 1994 and older Toyotas and Toyota Pink is for 1995 and newer Toyotas. Toyota Red shouldn't be used in 1995 and newer Toyota vehicles.....

As my 01 Tacoma came from the factory with Toyota LL red AF I can say that is an inaccurate statement. Toyota Red is perfectly fine for 95 and newer Toyotas. The negative as noted is as opposed to the newer SLL, it is a shorter service interval AF, according to the OM it's a ~2year/30k mi. interval. The plus is it comes as a concentrate. However Toyota now says that the newer SLL premix is compatible with and can be used with in place of the red, and to obtain the now longer service interval of other Asian PHOATs.

As for pre 95 Toyotas, I've seen nothing authoritative 'from Toyota' regarding use of SLL in those vehicles. Afaik, Toyota says SLL is backward compatible for all Toyotas. But as said, if one is has doubts just use LL red.

All that said, been using Peak Global Lifetime (after a distilled flush series) in my Tacoma for a couple years now and it's been working nicely.

Toyota Red is probably OK for the 1995 and newer Toyotas, with the caveat that it doesn't last as long as Toyota Pink. You won't be able to achieve the service interval for Toyotas that came with Toyota Pink as factory fill.

However, Toyota Pink shouldn't be used in 1994 and older Toyotas, as the additive package in Toyota Pink, as well as any other organic-acid-technology coolant (Dex-Cool, Prestone AMAM, etc.) isn't compatible with the brass/solder heater cores found in 1994 and older Toyotas.

Both Toyota Red and Pink stick with other additive-package requirements of Toyota cars (unlike Dex-Cool, Prestone AMAM, etc.), including the right organic acids, except the organic acid in Pink not being compatible with brass/solder heater cores and Red not satisfying the extended service interval of newer Toyotas.

I would use Toyota Red in 1994 and older Toyotas and Toyota Pink in 1995 and newer Toyotas.

My 2003 Lexus, manufactured in April 2003, came from the factory with Red.

I found out that the same model 2003 Lexus, for ones manufactured in June 2003, came from the factory with the Pink...So that's when they changed over, at least, for the GS-430 model of Lexus.

Originally Posted By: e55amgbenz007
In speaking with a Toyota/Lexus tech, he stated that the changeover did indeed happened in 2003.

The crucial thing to understand is that Toyota Pink (Super Long Life) coolant isn't compatible with brass/copper/solder heater cores (1994 and earlier Toyotas) and will cause them to fail. Note, however, that the older Toyota Red (Long Life) coolant doesn't provide the super-long service interval of Toyota Pink, despite being compatible with brass/copper/solder heater cores.

So, if you have a 1994 or older Toyota or have a brass/copper/solder heater core (very easy to tell just by looking at the heater pipes coming out of the firewall -- they will be brass), use Toyota Red. Otherwise, Toyota Pink is your best bet (for 1995 and newer cars), even if the official transition took place in 2003.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back