THREE Permatex brake lubricants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't Permatex dielectric tune-up grease the equivalent to Syl-Glyde ?

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
That green Permatex [censored] swelled the lower slide pin bushings so bad I had a hard time getting the pin out. No Permatex brake grease of any color for me. I am sticking wil Syl-Glyde or may use the new CRC brake grease.

Originally Posted By: rkpatt

That green Permatex [censored] swelled the lower slide pin bushings so bad I had a hard time getting the pin out. No Permatex brake grease of any color for me. I am sticking wil Syl-Glyde or may use the new CRC brake grease.

NO!!!

The Permatex green is a PAO grease. Dielectric and other silicone brake grease (i.e. Dow)are true silcone based grease.

Sil-glyde seems to be a grease of different nature than most realize. It's MSDS indicates it contains only a small percentage of silicone (< 13%) and in fact the SIL might actually refer more to silicate, in my opinion. It also has castor oil and polyethylene glycol as main components.

https://www.imperialsupplies.com/msds0075150.shtml

Chemical/Ingredient Name |CAS-No |Weight%
| |
Polypropylene glycol |25322-69-4 |30-60%
Dimethyl silicone polymer|67762-90-7 |7-13%
with silica
Oleoyl Sarcosine Mixture ||0.1-1% |
Diethyl phthalate |84-66-2 |0.1-1%
Glycine, |110-25-8 |0.1-1%
N-methyl-N-(1-oxo-9-octadecenyl)-, (Z)- Phenyl-1-naphthylamine 0.1-1%

While Sil-glyde's claim of being silicone based is stretching the truth, it is a time tested excellent brake grease with a huge following.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Originally Posted By: rkpatt

NO!!!

The Permatex green is a PAO grease. Dielectric and other silicone brake grease (i.e. Dow)are true silcone based grease.

Sil-glyde seems to be a grease of different nature than most realize. It's MSDS indicates it contains only a small percentage of silicone (< 13%) and in fact the SIL might actually refer more to silicate, in my opinion. It also has castor oil and polyethylene glycol as main components.

https://www.imperialsupplies.com/msds0075150.shtml

Chemical/Ingredient Name |CAS-No |Weight%
| |
Polypropylene glycol |25322-69-4 |30-60%
Dimethyl silicone polymer|67762-90-7 |7-13%
with silica
Oleoyl Sarcosine Mixture ||0.1-1% |
Diethyl phthalate |84-66-2 |0.1-1%
Glycine, |110-25-8 |0.1-1%
N-methyl-N-(1-oxo-9-octadecenyl)-, (Z)- Phenyl-1-naphthylamine 0.1-1%

While Sil-glyde's claim of being silicone based is stretching the truth, it is a time tested excellent brake grease with a huge following.

thx doitmyself,
the PAO in the green thing often swell the robber boots?

Originally Posted By: gogozy
thx doitmyself, the PAO in the green thing often swell the robber boots?

I'm not an expert on brakes or grease. I'm also not a chemist. I do know that certain car brands have rubber brake components that seem more sensitive to swelling per my Google searches.

The PAO brake greases such as Permatex, CRC/Stalube, etc. all advertise they are plastic and rubber safe. Yet, if you look at the elastomer compatability chart at the bottom of the following link, you can easily see that silicone is safe with all elastomers listed(except silicone) while the PAO has several that are not compatable (buna-s, EPDM, others).

http://www.nyelubricants.com/_pdf/literature/engineering_pdf/Engineering_Ref_Charts.pdf

Again, I'm just making my decisions for myself based on internet research.

I'm not an expert on brakes or grease. I'm also not a chemist. I do know that certain car brands have rubber brake components that seem more sensitive to swelling per my Google searches.

The PAO brake greases such as Permatex, CRC/Stalube, etc. all advertise they are plastic and rubber safe. Yet, if you look at the elastomer compatability chart at the bottom of the following link, you can easily see that silicone is safe with all elastomers listed(except silicone) while the PAO has several that are not compatable (buna-s, EPDM, others).

http://www.nyelubricants.com/_pdf/literature/engineering_pdf/Engineering_Ref_Charts.pdf

Doitmyself is correct. silglyde not identical to dielectric grease but proves to be excellent in brake boot applications.

The other brake greases will swell most rubber seals/boots. I prefer to use dielectric grease for the boots, but shop buys silglyde.

Originally Posted By: wokeupdead

Doitmyself is correct. silglyde not identical to dielectric grease but proves to be excellent in brake boot applications.

The other brake greases will swell most rubber seals/boots. I prefer to use dielectric grease for the boots, but shop buys silglyde.

thanks! i have a spare tub of green grease but i don't use it anymore after learning from BITOG about silglyse.
thx to doitmyself for the chart, the chart has good info. i think I remember there were some debate long ago that how group 4 oil (PAO?) will harden seal and need a bit of other oil to condition the seal.

I've had great luck with the Permatex Purple Ceramic grease. Slides, pistons(internal on the seal ring and dust boot), backs of pads, and even on bleeder nipples for bleeding purposes.

The green stuff is garbage.

I have used and have Sil-Glyde, and I prefer the results of the permatex ceramic grease, honestly.

Last edited:
However, I personally use Dow 111 on non-Subaru/Toyota slide pins. I have a tube of the special red Toyota grease at my parent's garage and that's the only thing I will use.

I have always used anti-seize on the back of the brake shoes where they contact the plate. On the discs, I'm a fan of Sil-Glyde too. But if the pads come with a little pack of grease, I will use that though.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I like the green stuff Permatex makes.

That's what I use, along with Disk Brake Quiet spray on the back of the pads, and Sil-Glyde on the pins.

The purple permatex ceramic stuff is very good for metal on metal. I use it on the explorer parking brake metal pads (its a small drum) so it don't rust out. I think with pressure it works itself into the metal pores. I also use it for tie rod sleeve threads so they don't seize up. Anti-seize tends to wash off after a while.

Also on the dual actuator levers (which were rusted solid without lube). I don't really suggest it for rubber. YMMV. For rubber and the pins I use Motorcraft brake grease. Excellent product. It is much thicker than Permatex.

I installed some Ford NOS brake pads on the MGM today. They came in an old box from 98. They had a peelable paper on the back of the pads with a "Wolverine" Brand name all over it. Was a tough decision not to use grease on the metal surfaces, because contact surfaces get rust. I'll have to check it in a year or so to see how it is holding up.

Last edited:
In the post above there is a red bottle of Permatex Extreme Ceramic and also a purple bottle with different part number. Are there actually two? If so what is the difference?

Is there any significant difference between using this vs Silglyde on the caliper brackets under the stainless hardware and between the pads and caliper? Is the purple having better performance to make it worth having two products rather than just using Silglyde for everything?

I like the Permatex silicone-based stuff - but I wouldn't use it on the slide pins. The silicone grease part will be OK with rubber, but I'm not sure about the solid part.

I used to use Sil-Glyde, but I just bought a can of ACDelco 10-4019 Silicone Brake Lubricant, and used it for the first time. Seems to be thicker than sil-glyde and it PTFE fortified. I like it.

Originally Posted by Trav
Originally Posted by NHGUY
I would use the CRC black colored Sta Lube stuff.

Yep i am back to this also. I tried many and nothing seems to do better than this so far.

Me too. I used to use the purple Ceramic permatex but then realized it is NOT safe for rubber including the rubber o ring on some brake slide pins....I found that out the hard way when I had a few swell and freeze up the pins!! I now use the black CRC which is safe to touch all brake parts.....I don't like to mess with 2 different lubes when doing brake jobs - 1 lube does all!

Last edited:
Sil-Glyde on pins with rubber boots, Permatex purple ceramic grease on metal-to-metal contact points including the piston surfaces. I live in the rust belt, and the purple stuff seems to hold up very well as indicated by lack of rust on the pistons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back