How not to do struts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Trav
That maybe so but you would think he would look at the book first and do the other side before posting that song and dance show.

There is no excuse for the hammer on hammer action and that poor bugger with no safety glasses at eye level, that is just outright dangerous.
Maybe the guy was having a bad day and he got frustrated who knows but i wouldn't put it on youtube.

Frankly it seems out of character for Dan to do something like this, I'm certainly surprised. I followed his posts and threads over on VWVortex.com for years, and he offered a LOT of helpful hints for our MK III VW cars...

But true the hammer routine and not wearing safety glasses
is inexcusable. If for no other reason it might cause some
idiot watching him to not follow safety precautions and
have them end up losing an eye or worse. I might try and
PM him over on YouTube and suggest that he remove the video because of your very valid complaints.

Do that. Some claim hitting a hammer with a hammer is not dangerous but i was taught never to do it.
Even if it was a punch or chisel or the spindle itself safety glasses are a must.

I don't make videos for this very reason.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Do that. Some claim hitting a hammer with a hammer is not dangerous but i was taught never to do it.
Even if it was a punch or chisel or the spindle itself safety glasses are a must.

I don't make videos for this very reason.

People underestimate the physics of this necessity. About 20 years ago , i was splitting wood with a 12 pound sledge hammer and an old splitting wedge. The wedge was well used probably at least 60 years old with to top mushroomed over from use. I hit the wedge slightly off center and i felt something hit my leg. I had a whole in my jeans and sock about 6 inches above my anke. I had a small cut that was small but profusely bleeding. After a few days it just did not heal or feel right. I x-rayed it and found a 1/2 moon piece of metal sitting right on top of the bone. Small metal fragments can fly and with great penetrating power. It was like i had been shot with a .22 .

Last edited:
Friend of mine did just that, 'cept I think it was with a pair of splitting mauls--one got stuck, so, whack it with a second one, right?

Shard flew off and severed some tendon/ligament/whatever in his leg. Wore a brace for years. I think he just had a surgery for it, and I'm not sure how succesfull it was.

It wasn't until I was well into adulthood that I learned one should not hit hardened steel against hardened steel!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back