15W-40 in a 78 F-150

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using Rotella 15W-40 in my 1978 351M pickup for a while now and was wondering if anyone else dose this or uses a better oil for an old pickup?

That's I would use in a truck from that era. My buddy runs 15w40 HDEO in his 77 F250 with a 460.

Welcome to the forum!!!

I use 15W40 in a number of vehicles I have and have been very pleased with the results.

I noticed however, that you live in Wyoming. (My wife is from Wyoming - a little town called "Manville"). As I recall, it gets pretty cold out there so you might have some starting problems when the weather turns sub-zero.

You have no worries, I use Service Pro 15W-40 here in all the shop vechicles with Zero issues. Very LONG life of all engines that i use it in.

once you start getting to the 20's regularly I'd switch to a 5w40
if you get anywhere near/below 0F you wont be happy with 15w40 in an unheated location.

I run 4Qts of 15w40 in my 73 Chevy and 1 Qt of High mileage just fine. I don't drive in the winter, is a sports car not a truck.

15w40 is a good oil for older cars/trucks. QS 10w30 high mileage is also a older style oil with higher Zinc than current auto oils that would work well if it gets colder where you live.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back