Coolant for an 02 Ford Focus ZX3 with Zetec 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is my daily beater. Old radiator hose blew and I had to have it towed home yesterday. I figure this is the right time to get the coolant just right while I replace the old hoses.

What are some good options?

Thanks!

This is an 02 though. I believe Ford didn't start the Gold stuff for that engine until 04....could be wrong. I have Peak Global Lifetime laying around, but wasn't sure if that was "right".

As linked above it depends on the Focus build date. Can use either before 7/15/02 but according to Motorcraft AF chart info recommendation I'd likely go with G-05 (Y) concentrate with a distilled flush series. Use ~50% AF system capacity then top with distilled. You'll get the longer service interval that way. Read the notes for GY at the bottom on the linked chart.

Prestone, supertech, peak, AMAM.

Never had a problem with any coolant actually. G05 seems to get darker and cloudy after a few of years but I don't know if it was a bad thing.

The only bad coolant I've dealt with was green and orange mixed that seemed to make globs of brown mud, but that engine had other problems as well

Thanks all. Green coolant came out of it. Owners manual said to check which was used...and in this case it happened to be green.

Peak Global Lifetime a good choice? Or should I go with one of the other choices you mentioned?

Last edited:
Thanks everyone...that awesome PDF says that Peak Global Lifetime (which I have a substantial amount of laying around) is suitable for ESE-M97B44-A specifications. I'll probably go with that since it is a beater.

It may have green coolant in it because the previous owner used green. Other times, repair shops make their mechanics use some bulk coolant that might not match the OEM stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back