exhaust styling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Saw a car like yours with two of the BIGGEST I had ever seen stuffed under its butt. Looked hideous

Man I agree x 1,000,000!! That is THEE MOST hideous looking thing people do to Nissan Z's,it makes me want to throw up!

I was just thinking about this the other day, how not too many trucks have anything done with the exhaust from the factory.

I personally like the new Ram rear exit pipes in the bumper.

I liked the (late 80's early 90's ???) Dakotas that had a split side exit pipe.

I loved the 88-93 C/K truck dual side exit

And also like the Ford dual side exits on some trucks (351 and 460 models)

It just seems like most trucks just have a normal unfinished pipe coming out the back nowadays.

(Ugliest tailpipe has to be on the Titan)

Originally Posted By: 1kickbuttranger
I was just thinking about this the other day, how not too many trucks have anything done with the exhaust from the factory.

I personally like the new Ram rear exit pipes in the bumper.

I liked the (late 80's early 90's ???) Dakotas that had a split side exit pipe.

I loved the 88-93 C/K truck dual side exit

And also like the Ford dual side exits on some trucks (351 and 460 models)

It just seems like most trucks just have a normal unfinished pipe coming out the back nowadays.

(Ugliest tailpipe has to be on the Titan)

Ugliest is definitely the Duramax GMs. That thing is hideous.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
I understand that Corvette is going back to a true dual cat dual pipe system after years of being stuck with the Generos Motors "One cat per car" policy.

This happened back in 1997, with the C5 generation.

Originally Posted By: meep
What that engineer didn't mention, is that the same "efficiency" could be gained on a single system if they used a muffler with larger capacity., ie., bigger. Duals sell. "Extra large muffler" does not. OTOH, it may be harder to package an extra large muffler.

Bingo. Packaging constraints are everywhere on modern cars. Not so much with larger pickup trucks, where you could fit a suitcase of a muffler down there quite easily.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
I understand that Corvette is going back to a true dual cat dual pipe system after years of being stuck with the Generos Motors "One cat per car" policy.

This happened back in 1997, with the C5 generation.

92 or earlier, I think...I recall the LT1 had true duals. (It did even in the B-bodies.)

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
92 or earlier, I think...I recall the LT1 had true duals. (It did even in the B-bodies.)

Good call. It looks like the C4s had two cats but a single central muffler or resonator. It looks like maybe the C3 had a single catalytic converter.

Originally Posted By: BowNisPar

Ugliest is definitely the Duramax GMs. That thing is hideous.

I have an 09, I would agree it is ugly, but the weird "bazooka" design is actually functional!

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

Good call. It looks like the C4s had two cats but a single central muffler or resonator. It looks like maybe the C3 had a single catalytic converter.

yes, and you must be cautious about declaring those a 'single' pipe system. My 300 has a giant suitcase looking thing near the center of the car that has two separate paths within one weirdly shaped muffler, then two resonators at the exit.

Odds are if you saw it for the first time you might feel it was not "true" dual exhaust...

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Nothing looks worse than a HUGE fartcan that's angled to the side and completely dwarfs the rest of the car.

Most of the modded, MKIV TT Supras have this setup, some with the muffler almost dragging on the pavement
37.gif
, albeit the systems they are attached to probably DO make some power for them.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
At least do like BMW did with my old 540i where the exhaust was nearly invisible from behind the car...

I personally like the hidden/stealth look for exhaust exits.
The only thing I like more, despite it being 'overdone', is the two big single wall stainless tips/pipes, close together in the center of a rear valance (a la; Vipers, old SRT 8 Cherokees, Porsche GT2/3s, etc.).
I WISH the C7s/ 5th gen Camaros were this way!!

My car has a 3.5" Mufflex catback system on it, and I have a tucked up, turn down single tip on it, painted satin black with VHT 900*F caliper paint (as is the rest of the tailpipe, and exposed LARGE Magniflow muffler).
One has to really LOOK to see the exhaust tip.

I just CANNOT STAND the "hillbilly look" of two large chrome (or even polished stainless) tips angled down under the rear bumper of a 4th gen Camaro (they look OK on the Firebirds due to their valance cutouts letting them sit even/level
wink.gif
).

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Most of the modded, MKIV TT Supras have this setup, some with the muffler almost dragging on the pavement
37.gif

I've always wondered how in the world do they keep from knocking them off if they hit even the slightest dip in the road haha,I'd love to see that happen!
crackmeup2.gif

Funny, looks are subjective for sure. I cant stand the exhaust out the back look on the Rams and they had to find me one without. I put a Magnaflow cat back on it immediately anyhow, keeping the single side exhaust exit.

While I'm not sure going from single to dual after the muffler does anything for performance gains as challenged above, it's the whole of the exhaust system that has to be looked at if you want to make a claim it does. For instance on my Dodge, the crush at the y-pipe junction was the real bottleneck, and replacing it with a Magnaflow Y was worth 3HP on the dyno. On my 2002 GMC which came with a factory true dual exhaust, I added an x pipe before the two mufflers to even out the big block rasp with aftermarket mufflers, not sure it did anything for performance. Exhaust flow and sizing is a science for sure.

The ones that crack me up are those giant diameter tailpipes on the diesel pickups...you could almost put a football in the opening it's so big...what's the point of those, other than looking totally ridiculous?

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Nothing looks worse than a HUGE fartcan that's angled to the side and completely dwarfs the rest of the car.

37.gif

A lot of these guys are running 4" exhausts once they're up to any decent power level, so they end up having to run a muffler at the back (even if they have mufflers / resonators under the car) to keep noise down enough, plus, the larger piping means larger diameter mufflers, making it harder to keep them off the ground. Looks isn't always a choice at that point...

Here are the exhaust exits on my fiancee's 07 Mustang GT and my 2014 Mustang GT. Her's has a Ford Racing Axle back and mine has GT500 mufflers. These other two pictures are the stock exhaust and the Roush AB I had on the car prior to the GT500 AB.

Originally Posted By: wtd
Here are the exhaust exits on my fiancee's 07 Mustang GT and my 2014 Mustang GT. Her's has a Ford Racing Axle back and mine has GT500 mufflers. These other two pictures are the stock exhaust and the Roush AB I had on the car prior to the GT500 AB.

Those are ALL beautiful!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back