What weight oil for MB CLK 320?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wifes girlfriend is visiting from out of state and when asked she didn't
know what weight oil or brand was in her MB. Its her car and has very low miles
(107K), clean inside and in the motor compartment. Mainly I'm just curious about the oil
since I got involved in having new tires put on.

I was looking at her tires and one rear was worn on the inside down
to the wires! Both fronts were scrubbed on the outside. Obviously it needs an alignment,
something her dealer needs to do. Anyway, I'm having a set of Conti's DWS put on
tomorrow as I felt it was too dangerous for her to drive 400 miles home on the Michelins.
I chose the Conti's over Kumho's as there wasn't a whole lot available in the time frame
that she will be here.

Last edited:
Specified oil is a 5w-40 meeting MB specification 229.5 or 229.51 (and possibly 229.3, depending if the car is older). Mobil 1 0w-40 would be a good first choice.

Originally Posted By: tc1446
My wifes girlfriend is visiting from out of state and when asked she didn't
know what weight oil or brand was in her MB. Its her car and has very low miles
(107K), clean inside and in the motor compartment. Mainly I'm just curious about the oil
since I got involved in having new tires put on.

I was looking at her tires and one rear was worn on the inside down
to the wires! Both fronts were scrubbed on the outside. Obviously it needs an alignment,
something her dealer needs to do. Anyway, I'm having a set of Conti's DWS put on
tomorrow as I felt it was too dangerous for her to drive 400 miles home on the Michelins.
I chose the Conti's over Kumho's as there wasn't a whole lot available in the time frame
that she will be here.

M1 0W40!

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I'm for more curious to know how the wife gets away with having a girlfriend?

And does the husband get to benefit from this arrangement?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I'm for more curious to know how the wife gets away with having a girlfriend?

And does the husband get to benefit from this arrangement?
smile.gif

post a picture or it didn't happen

Going with the conti dws is a solid choice. I just got a set and put about 2k miles on them. I think they're great. What oil filter are you going to pair with the M1 0w40?

DWS is a decent 3-season tire. I'm quite disappointed in their winter capabilities though. However, they're still better than my supposed all-season Bridgestone RE970 when it comes to winter.

Good to hear the DWS is a decent tire. I was reluctant to recommend new tires for her not knowing anything about the
car and its handling characteristics. However, the severely worn rear (with large nail embedded) was far to dangerous for her to drive home to Maryland.

Now my wife's childhood friend can now drive safely.

As to the oil, it was just a curious thing on my part. Went to check it and couldn't find a dipstick. Found out it was electronic but I couldn't make that work either. Will double
check with her when they get back from a craft show in Asheville to see if she knows how. Being a retired state trooper I would assume so, but the condition of her tires leaves me in doubt. lol.

I won't be changing the oil so I need not mess with the oil filter, although its obviously a canister type and looks easy to do.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

PS: For inquiring minds, at 80 years I can barely do a single, much less a three way! At this age we "think" an lot more than
we "do". LOL

Last edited:
I service my friend's CLK320, and I use M1 0W-40 and some Purolator cartridge filters I got on clearance for $1 each. It takes 8.5 quarts.

If you have a hand pump, you can pump the oil out of the dipstick tube (yes there is one) and then pull the filter. Use the gaping hole where the filter goes to refill the engine and then slap the filter back in and you're done. 20 minutes tops.

Figured out the tube with the little red 2 inch stopper in it is for a dip stick;
but MB didn't see the need to provide one, necessitating a trip to dealer
to find out if your car needs oil! Beats the [censored] outta me why they do
that.

Oil level can be checked through the steering wheel buttons, and displayed on the information panel on the cluster. The engine must be turned off for at least 15 minutes before running the oil level check. The car should be on a leveled surface, too.

Originally Posted By: Nenad16
Oil level can be checked through the steering wheel buttons, and displayed on the information panel on the cluster. The engine must be turned off for at least 15 minutes before running the oil level check. The car should be on a leveled surface, too.

Tried that, couldn't make it work. Will ask the owner when she gets back if she knows how.

the engine must be off, and the key in position 2, for the level check to be performed.
BTW, what year is her CLK320?

Last edited:
Those C-class MBs are hard on tie-rod ends, at 107K, depending on how she drives
don't be surprised if they need replacing.

As far as I know, 0W40 M1 is the factory fill.

I ended up leaving the under body panels off which made oil changes a lot quicker.

Another word of caution, the transmission fill tube and the un-used engine oil dipstick
tube are right beside each other.

One has a plug and the other a flip up locked plug.

Transmission oil funnels fit both tubes, and many a liter of transmission has ended up
in the engines by mistake.

You have to follow the tubes down to make sure which is which.

Thanks all for the feedback. My wife and her friend arrived home yesterday and the lady, who is a computer geek, said she had the
electronics set to show other things and that is why it didn't come up with the oil when I tried the recommended methods. She also said it will flash when its low and requires oil or needs an oil change. She's been having it dealer serviced and called to find out about an alignment and they said that it would only
be $300! WOW, doesn't that sound like a rare bargain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back