Happy Birthday! My truck is 30 this month

Status
Not open for further replies.
A bed you don't need to stand on a ladder to get into? Who'd have thunk?

Is that the original bed? Any repairs to the bed?

They are hard to find that clean even down here. Looks great, especially being from up North. I take it this is mostly a summer/nice weather vehicle?

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Is that the original bed? Any repairs to the bed?

They are hard to find that clean even down here. Looks great, especially being from up North. I take it this is mostly a summer/nice weather vehicle?

All original, it works year round and lives outside.
All the gravel you see in the picture was hauled by the truck.

In the last 7 years it has required an exhaust tail pipe, 4 tires, 1 Battery, 1 Headlight, 1 Brake light/Turn signal bulb.
I have just under 100k miles on the clock.

The Truck dates from the time of the Chicken Tax so was delivered (from Japan) without a Box.
The box fitted is a little odd in that it's 6'6" long and has no external flange or tie downs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Someone help me out; Mitsu?

Toyota.

That's awesome the bed is untouched. A lot of people would love to have that bed...or a Toyota truck in that condition! That thing is pretty much a collector item.

Nice. I had one with the little 22R engine. Loved it and very durable/reliable.

Nice looking dog....Airedale or Welsh Terrier? (The camera lens distorts things a bit so I can't tell the dogs size).

It's a Welsh Terrier (and a little too big for his breed) that likes to get up on high places. My wife shot these pics because of the crazy dog.

The Back story on the Truck is:
Back in 81 I bought a Toyota SR5 with a 22R. I later found myself out of work, with a Mortgage in a recession.
Facing foreclosure and bankruptcy I started a delivery business using the truck. I would haul ANYTHING ANYWHERE to make a $ and have many stories of things that transpired.
After running up 500K Miles the trucks frame broke and it was given away (but was still seen on the road for several years)

I bought a New 1990 Base model Toyota, but honestly never really liked it, and tended to neglect it.
Still it did sterling service despite looking pretty ugly after a Deer strike, two hit and Runs, Fender rust and an 8' 6"x6" landing on the hood.

In 2007 I decide I needed a New truck but current Toyota's (or any truck did not 'turn my crank' so I looked on Ebay and found the one above.
It had been in storage for over 20 years! apparently an older guy bought it just before he died, and his widow did not want to part with her husbands truck so she stored it in their heated Basment.
The truck had 28k miles and had never seen rain!
It was about 4 hours away in Washington state and cost me $3,800 to buy and bring to Canada.

Meanwhile, my 90 PU was sitting in the driveway and my wife wanted it gone. We were about to go on vacation for a month and I thought I would rather deal with selling it when we got back.
So to appease my wife, I advertized it on CL for $3500 thinking nobody would respond.
But somebody did.
8.30 at night a guy call to say he wants to look at the truck. that night, in the dark! I try to put him off telling him the truck is not licensed and he should call back at the weekend.
But no, he insists he want's to come that night.
When he arrives he starts the truck, drives it back 6' drives it forward 6' and offers me $3200 cash! again I try and put him off telling him I don't even have transfer papers with me and he should really see it in daylight and drive it a little more.
But he insisted he take it that night and he would call a Tow truck to transport it, and he would ask the driver to bring transfer papers.
Needless to say we were very suspicious about the deal, but the money proved to be not counterfeit, and I never got a call back about the truck, or for that matter, saw it again
21.gif

Originally Posted By: expat
It's a Welsh Terrier (and a little too big for his breed) that likes to get up on high places. My wife shot these pics because of the crazy dog.

The Back story on the Truck is:
Back in 81 I bought a Toyota SR5 with a 22R. I later found myself out of work, with a Mortgage in a recession.
Facing foreclosure and bankruptcy I started a delivery business using the truck. I would haul ANYTHING ANYWHERE to make a $ and have many stories of things that transpired.
After running up 500K Miles the trucks frame broke and it was given away (but was still seen on the road for several years)

I bought a New 1990 Base model Toyota, but honestly never really liked it, and tended to neglect it.
Still it did sterling service despite looking pretty ugly after a Deer strike, two hit and Runs, Fender rust and an 8' 6"x6" landing on the hood.

In 2007 I decide I needed a New truck but current Toyota's (or any truck did not 'turn my crank' so I looked on Ebay and found the one above.
It had been in storage for over 20 years! apparently an older guy bought it just before he died, and his widow did not want to part with her husbands truck so she stored it in their heated Basment.
The truck had 28k miles and had never seen rain!
It was about 4 hours away in Washington state and cost me $3,800 to buy and bring to Canada.

Meanwhile, my 90 PU was sitting in the driveway and my wife wanted it gone. We were about to go on vacation for a month and I thought I would rather deal with selling it when we got back.
So to appease my wife, I advertized it on CL for $3500 thinking nobody would respond.
But somebody did.
8.30 at night a guy call to say he wants to look at the truck. that night, in the dark! I try to put him off telling him the truck is not licensed and he should call back at the weekend.
But no, he insists he want's to come that night.
When he arrives he starts the truck, drives it back 6' drives it forward 6' and offers me $3200 cash! again I try and put him off telling him I don't even have transfer papers with me and he should really see it in daylight and drive it a little more.
But he insisted he take it that night and he would call a Tow truck to transport it, and he would ask the driver to bring transfer papers.
Needless to say we were very suspicious about the deal, but the money proved to be not counterfeit, and I never got a call back about the truck, or for that matter, saw it again
21.gif

Great story. Yes, those older Toyotas are fantastic.

A few years ago I was thinking about getting a new Toyota....but even the base model was a bit too much in terms of features and cost. I wanted a bare bones model with 4 wheel drive. I was surprised at how "fancy" the new ones are and longed for my old one.

A year or so later I ended up getting my Ridgeline for a good price. I'd pretty much given up trying to get a new basic model 4x4 by then.

The dog...those Welsh's are great dogs. I had one and loved that guy very much. Poor thing went blind eventually. Now I have an Airedale that is nearing the end of his life. Will be a sad day when he goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back