those first few seconds after you changed the oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do get nervous even though I know I did the oil change properly.

My mother's 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee would always make that noise for a few seconds after an oil change.

Some cars have it worse than others. The GM 3500 V6 made the absolute worst sound after an oil change.

I think it is related to hydraulic lifters or hydraulic lash adjusters, depending on engine design.

Are you guys waiting for hours until the last drop to drip out? A typical oil change is done under 15 minutes or less. I do not see how the engine is going to become "dry" in such a short time.

My new Subie has the filter mounted upside-down, so it has to be installed dry. I've only done a couple of changes, but I have not experienced any abnormal noises thus far. The oil low pressure light also goes out as soon as the engine start cranking.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Are you guys waiting for hours until the last drop to drip out? A typical oil change is done under 15 minutes or less. I do not see how the engine is going to become "dry" in such a short time.

My reason is the air in the filter getting pushed out down the crankshaft.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
On the BMWs, the only time I even saw the oil light was when I had let the oil drain for several hours. I gave that up and change oil like I'm working for Jiffy Lube
grin2.gif

My moms Elantra is probably the loudest car I have ever heard right after an oil change.

Filling the filter does nothing.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
My new Subie has the filter mounted upside-down, so it has to be installed dry.

No, it doesn't. Filter media will usually absorb 100% of the first fill, and not even drip when turned upside down. Some synthetic media filters may not aborb all of the first fill, so you may have to experiment a bit.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
Originally Posted By: gathermewool
My new Subie has the filter mounted upside-down, so it has to be installed dry.

No, it doesn't. Filter media will usually absorb 100% of the first fill, and not even drip when turned upside down. Some synthetic media filters may not aborb all of the first fill, so you may have to experiment a bit.

The next time I change my filter I'll fill it through the oil filter outlet, to the outlet, and then quickly invert it to see whether any drains out. Even with a dry filter, the oil light extinguishes as soon as I start cranking after an oil change, so I'm not worried about it.

Heh heh, If you thin oil guys would use something a tad thicker than 0w5, maybe there wouldn't be as much start up noise.
wink.gif

I wouldn't worry about it. Just change your oil and filter at regular intervals. The engine should out last many other parts of the vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back