Whats a decent price for a bumper repaint..or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Vikas
What is the cause of the paint cracking on this car? Is it because it repainted to begin with? Why would you repaint it again?

The only place where paint is cracked on my 99 Camry is where it was repaired. It cracked in 2-3 years. There is effectively no real recourse/warranty. I am also not somebody who is going to go crazy about paint cracking on a 15 year old car.

The previous owner had it repainted. Not sure when though. For now I will live with the cracks. If it gets bad enough then I will either have it repainted or try and find a prepainted unit online.

Originally Posted By: lenjack
Maaco is adverising this at $199, but I wouldn't get a tricycle repainted there.

I had my previous car, a 1995 Honda Accord EX V6 painted there. It was in rough shape to begin with so Maaco was certainly an improvement. I went with there "medium level package" or whatever they called it. Clear and paint mixed together. She looked great when she was finished. The whole thing cost about $800. Maaco is a good option if you want to spruce up a beater. Trouble is after less than a year there were defects along the some of the edges. But all in all it looked great for the price, it was black too! Miss that car to this day.

Sounds like the prep work on the bumpers would be a perfect DiY for OP...great for relieving any lingering OCD after-effect resulting from the scuffed wheel covers....and a perfect job done by you would be a relief to the body shop too...

Great idea and your 100% spot on! This is a perfect DIY to save a bundle.
I did both bumper covers on my GP 7 years ago and they look as good today as they did then, no cracking and no fading. It all in the prep and materials.

They can be done at least as good as or even better then a body shop because you need time and patience, not necessarily a lot of skill.
Next spring i have to do a couple of bumpers from plastic prep, priming to finish.
If anyone is interested i can make pics and go through the whole thing when i do it.

Bumpers can be sprayed with a smaller compressor (10-20 gal) and a less than $100 touch up gun (the right one) and look absolutely perfect.
The catch is the paint and clear of the quality you need is about $150 for both bumpers and probably another $50 in primer and adhesion promoters.
This job of the OP's would also require plastic bumper stripper $30 or so.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: lenjack
Maaco is adverising this at $199, but I wouldn't get a tricycle repainted there.

I had my previous car, a 1995 Honda Accord EX V6 painted there. It was in rough shape to begin with so Maaco was certainly an improvement. I went with there "medium level package" or whatever they called it. Clear and paint mixed together. She looked great when she was finished. The whole thing cost about $800. Maaco is a good option if you want to spruce up a beater. Trouble is after less than a year there were defects along the some of the edges. But all in all it looked great for the price, it was black too! Miss that car to this day.

Maaco is a decent option if you do the prep work yourself. Also, let them know what kind of job you're expecting. Tell them you'll pay extra for good paint and the correct flex additive.

No need for flex additives anymore with modern paint and clears. I have painted covers that got hit so hard it bent the bumper support and no cracks or flaking.

Originally Posted By: Sherwin-Williams
SUBJECT: Training Bulletin
Flex Additive as a “Not-Included” Operation/Material
While the use of traditional flex additives is no longer necessary in many cases, the overall concept that additional materials and labor are required to refinish flexible parts is still valid.
Many of our customers have asked about the issue of getting paid for flexible additives now that most of our premium clear coats no longer require the use of these additives. It’s important that a shop be able to successfully explain their position on this subject should it become an issue.
The attached could be used to explain to customers the position they
need to consider when this issue arises in the field and helps establish a “word track” to convey the concept to insurance partners.

Originally Posted By: Trav

Next spring i have to do a couple of bumpers from plastic prep, priming to finish.
If anyone is interested i can make pics and go through the whole thing when i do it.

I would be interested!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back