2006 Hyundai Elantra

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few days ago I finally sold my 2006 Hyundai Elantra. I thought I'd pass on a few notes and observations about the time that I had it.

I purchased it in January of 2010. It was a unique set of circumstances that put the car in my possession; I paid $3,200 at that time for it.

In the roughly 4 1/2 years I owned it I put just over 100,000 miles on it, and spent $1,441 in maintenance. That included 2 sets of tires, 1 timing belt change, 1 set of struts, 1 set of brake pads, non-fuel fluids, a set of spark plugs, 1 Interstate battery and a few other miscellaneous items such as bulbs and wipers.

In the summer I consistently achieved 32+ MPG in my 95% highway driving. In the winter it dropped to around 28 MPG.

I changed the oil around the 6,000 to 8,000 mile mark with whatever conventional oil was on sale at the time. There were a couple times when it went over 9,000 miles on an oil change. I usually used a Baldwin filter, but if that wasn't available I used whatever was on sale. It was run through a car wash 3-4 times a year.

The good.
The car was completely dependable. It never let me down, there was never a concern about it not starting even in sub zero weather. Maintenance was simple and cheap, insurance was inexpensive and license/registration was cheap. While small, it fit my 6'4" frame quite well. While it would have been less comfortable than a larger car, I would not have hesitated to drive the car anywhere in the US. It was completely and utterly dependable. The AC was always cold (the few times I used it) and the heater was extremely hot-even in sub zero weather I only had the fan on medium. It plowed through snow without a problem and handled very predictably.

The bad
Nothing really. If I were nit picky I could complain that the 4 cylinder engine sounded like a 4 cylinder engine. At highway speeds you knew it wasn't a V8, but then it never pretended to be anything but a 4 cylinder engine. It was an appliance, but a very dependable appliance. I don't find that to be a bad thing.

It was never fancy, it just had an AM/FM radio (I only used AM). The fanciest option was a sunroof, which I rather liked (again, it never gave me any problems).

When I sold it the car ran like a top and shifted perfectly. There was a very small rust spot started over the passenger side rear wheel (about the size of a dime). There were a couple of road scars, but nothing out of the ordinary for a 140,000 mile car.

I sold the car for $3,800 to a family who will use it for their high school age daughter's first car. I have no doubt that by now it has a school sticker on the back window and is being personalized in a way that only high school girls can personalize a car. I have no doubt that it will be as dependable for her as it was for me, and I wish her as many happy miles in it as I had.

I won't miss it-vehicles are just machines. I do respect it though, in the same way that I respect my dependable 67 year old Ford 2N snow plow. Nothing special, but it just works and does what it needs to do with no fuss or problems. And it is/was always there when I needed it.

You only got around 32 mpg on the highway in an Elantra? That's weird. Anyways sounds like a great car, my great aunt has an 06' Sonata with 142k. Never a problem.

What's replacing it?

A bare bones, basic car. Sounds like an equation for trouble free, low ownership cost operation. I'm amazed that it is rusting, given it's vintage, especially if sub zero temperatures are common (rusting reactions are slower). That's a shame.

Of course machines have a design life and require greater maintenance as they reach that point. So the car may well become a money pit over the next 25k+ miles, but it's a used car, sold as-is, so it's not your problem. And, with a little care and a few bucks sunk in, should remain reliable.

MT or AT?

I picked up a 2008 Elantra with 28K two years ago and 20K later it's doing great. My assessment is similar to yours except that the 2008 is actually a pretty nice road car.

PS: Getting $600 more than you paid for a car that you put 100K on.....priceless....

Originally Posted By: pbm
I picked up a 2008 Elantra with 28K two years ago and 20K later it's doing great. My assessment is similar to yours except that the 2008 is actually a pretty nice road car.

PS: Getting $600 more than you paid for a car that you put 100K on.....priceless....

Yeah! that's the icing on the cake. Was the original purchase price especially low?

Thanks for the post!

There's something to be said for simple reliable machine. Apparently not many new car buyers agree with this sentiment anymore, but that's another story.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
You only got around 32 mpg on the highway in an Elantra? That's weird. Anyways sounds like a great car, my great aunt has an 06' Sonata with 142k. Never a problem.

What's replacing it?

32 sounds about right, the newer ones get better mpg,

the 2010 accent only gets about 28-31 mpg.

might get 33mpg on a 55mph rural road of 60miles+ with no AC on... but that's pushing it.
It has michelin defender tires on.

the 2011+ models get an additional 5+ mpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand

What's replacing it?

might get 33mpg on a 55mph rural road of 60miles+ with no AC on... but that's pushing it.

Well I guess that isn't bad, just odd because I recently sold my 97' Camry 2.2L auto that driving 75-80 in the mountains on a trip to Montana got me 33 mpg.

What's replacing it?

Well I guess that isn't bad, just odd because I recently sold my 97' Camry 2.2L auto that driving 75-80 in the mountains on a trip to Montana got me 33 mpg.

Yep, my Accord fully loaded with luggage and 5 people achieved 36 MPG with the AC on on a recent trip. I was pleasantly surprised.

Originally Posted By: gregk24

What's replacing it?

Yep, my Accord fully loaded with luggage and 5 people achieved 36 MPG with the AC on on a recent trip. I was pleasantly surprised.

Probably the Elantra would get quite similar mileage on the same trip, but its the variable valve timing and lower ratio top gear that allows your Accord to do so well. For normal rural driving with multiple 5-10-25 mile trips making up a tank, low 30's mpg is pretty much what a non VVT 4 spd auto small car is going to get. The manual helps my Focus a bit, but its usually in the 32-35mpg range if I drive it, and my wife can push it down to 28-30mpg sometimes. On a road trip tank I've seen 37mpg but that's with only one or two cold starts, but higher speeds where aero drag starts to hurt with the wagon shape.

What's replacing it?

31-32 in 95% (of good constant) highway is about right. (tested with my former 2004 same model elantra)
combine that with winter fuel, and chicago "stuck and go" style and it drops in the 18-24.

Hyundai never got decent MPG IMHO in the 2000's cars at all. Not Civic or Corolla MPG that managed upper 30's. Also frequent timing belt changes on many of them.

You get what you pay for new. Definitely seem nice now.

MPG sound about right.
I still get that MPG with our 2003 Elantra with 214k miles or so.
Ours have been very dependable and is still a DD, and with only 1 repair to date.

What's replacing it?

Note that I said "32+ MPG". If I was extremely careful I could easily do 34 or so. But it's also a very simple, inexpensive 4 cylinder engine with a 4 speed automatic transmission. During the summer months, unless it was raining I always drove with the windows down.

It was replaced by a 2002 Buick LeSabre. Here's the link to my original post about it. Link

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I'm amazed that it is rusting, given it's vintage, especially if sub zero temperatures are common (rusting reactions are slower). That's a shame.

MT or AT?

It was an automatic transmission.

The rust was likely caused by a combination of gravel roads and winter salt/brine. It spent a fair amount of time on gravel-at the time a bought it I could take a gravel shortcut and save a couple miles. It was only washed 3-4 times/year, so the gravel/winter salt was the likely culprit. Since it was an inexpensive commuter car I had no intentions of fretting about the appearance.

The reality is that it was a very small dime sized surface rust spot. It would have been easy to repair, but I elected not to do so.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
Was the original purchase price especially low?

Thanks for the post!

I had originally helped a struggling younger couple purchase the vehicle. They decided to stop making payments, so I repossessed the car. They only owed me $3,200 when I repossessed it, so my initial investment was $3,200. A very atypical scenario. I intended to sell it, but after driving it for a bit I found that I rather liked it, and it would serve my needs quite well, so I kept it around.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird

Ours have been very dependable and is still a DD, and with only 1 repair to date.

I really struggled with selling it or the Buick. The Elantra was completely dependable, and if the Buick had not come along I would have had no problem keeping the Elantra. In the end it came down to the economics of the mileage-the Buick "should" last a lot longer than the Elantra would. Time will tell if I made the correct decision.

Great review! We have a 2005 Elantra GT and it's been wonderful. Has about 140K and has been super dependable.

After owning it for awhile, it's always amazed me that Hyundai didn't sell more of them. It's a very comfortable and flexible (Cargo wise) vehicle.

I've seen the new GT and it's nice. But I have zero regrets about the 2005 model. Thanks for posting and I'm glad you have had a wonderful experience with yours.

I also have the '05 GT. 95k and it's been fine. Recall years of Hyundai using older Mitsu stuff and later their own, but the Elantra was really the same car from '01-'06 so not cutting edge

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Hyundai never got decent MPG IMHO in the 2000's cars at all. Not Civic or Corolla MPG that managed upper 30's. Also frequent timing belt changes on many of them.

What is a reasonable timing belt change interval on the 2.0 Beta engine?

I see 30mpg right on the nose in a matrix, which is pretty much a corolla.

I have never seen 40mpg in anything except an early 90's tin can type car (non hybrid gas cars only).

Originally Posted By: pbm
Originally Posted By: rjundi

What is a reasonable timing belt change interval on the 2.0 Beta engine?

5 years/60,000 miles (per book/warranty)

i changed mine at 7.5 years/67,460 miles.
they are some that done it at 201,000 miles, but do you want to be the one that has the engine smashed at 61,500?
also water pump (usually holds for 2 Timing belt changes, tech saw dried coolant around, changed as preventative maintenance, they are reports of some holding only so long), accessory belts (my preventative maintenance) and alternator (gone on the drive home while scheduled next day for the TB change....)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back