Any Negatives with Shooting Aluminum Cased Ammo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: 2cool
Only thing I can contribute would be to check to be sure that your range allows it; mine specifically doesn't.

Why wouldn't they want people shooting aluminum cases? They afraid a round is going to blow-out the case or blow-up a gun?

They don't want to have to sort out the aluminum when recycling the brass.

IME, ranges don't like it because separating the aluminum from the brass is labor intensive,and would reduce the profit from selling used brass. Aluminum cases won't harm a gun, but as others have noted, not all extract them well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: another Todd
I have only bought/shot aluminum cased ammo once. It expanded in the chamber and had problems being ejected. Out of 50 rounds I probably had 7-8 FTEs. Horrible reliability in my experience. Never would consider using them again.

What gun was this in?

I have had the same problem. I have tried with S&W Shield, Taurus Slim PT709, Springfield XDS. Three was enough. I gave away all the aluminum case ammo I had left.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Originally Posted By: another Todd
I have only bought/shot aluminum cased ammo once. It expanded in the chamber and had problems being ejected. Out of 50 rounds I probably had 7-8 FTEs. Horrible reliability in my experience. Never would consider using them again.

What gun was this in?

I believe it was my S&W 639 9mm. It is possible it was my S&W Sigma 40 though, don't remember exactly, but neither gun ever experienced that problem before or after with any brass cased ammunition.

Last edited:
I pick up once fired 40S@W aluminum {which they are so far} and reload them. With mid powder charger they seem to be fine. I have reloaded close to a 1000 over a few years and no problems. I also load the steel cases of Wolf 45acp with good results.

It probably shouldn't be reloaded...and in the case of spent casing from guns with a partially unsupported chamber I think that may be wise. Especially high pressure rounds. I have heard of reloading steel cased ammo though, but have heard it is a bit hard on some of the reloading equipment. But since I don't reload I cannot say for sure from personal experience.

I have run thousands of rounds of CCI Blazer aluminum through 9 mm Glocks, Sigs, and Smith and Wesson 3rd generation guns without an issue. The only guns I have that have problems are CZs. I have been told that Eastern European guns don't run it well.

The Blazer casings can't be reloaded because the primers can't be removed without damaging the case. I haven't seen the Federal so I don't know if they are constructed the same as CCI.

Last edited:
Lugers like hotter loaded ammo. The people I know lucky enough to have P08 pistols shoot S&B or Fiochhi in theirs with good results.

Last edited:
Brass cased 9MM never stovepiped in my 08's and always extracted properly in my P1. Don't remember all the brands I've used now, but the Blazer sticks in my mind because of the extraction problems.

I never used it again. This was at least 25 years ago when I tried a box of 9MM Blazer, maybe longer. It was new at the time.

Aluminum cased ammo is practice ammo. Stoppages are good when you practice shooting it builds an important skill.

Originally Posted By: CT8
I pick up once fired 40S@W aluminum {which they are so far} and reload them. With mid powder charger they seem to be fine. I have reloaded close to a 1000 over a few years and no problems. I also load the steel cases of Wolf 45acp with good results.

CT8 I have some friends who are thinking about reloading Blazer aluminum cartridge cases. I noticed you said that you have reloaded close to 1000 aluminum cases. Were those Blazer cases? I told my friends I did not think it was a good idea to reload Blazer aluminum cases. I told them I would check with somebody with experience with reloading.

I also notice that you said you reload steel cases. Have you noticed any problems with wear on dies?

And what sort of equipment are you using reload?

Last edited:
Blazer aluminum use Berdan primers. That sure makes it tougher to reload.

The aluminum cases were never meant to be reloaded. When they first came out, CCI designed it so the cases would split so no one would try to reload them. It ended up freaking so many people out to see the split cases that CCI thickened them.

I'm a long time reloader. I recommend against reloading aluminum cases.

Thanks for that information RW1. I strongly recommended against reloading aluminum cases also. CT8 never replied. I was amazed when he said that he had reloaded close to 1000 aluminum cases because the reloaders I knew never used aluminum or for that matter steel cases.

And I have heard about the Berdan primer and how that makes it harder to reload aluminum cases. Plus I have heard that aluminum and steel cases are harder on dies.

There are Blazer aluminum cases and at least one other brand that uses aluminum cases. I think the other brand is Federal. Are the Federal cases also not supposed to be reloaded?

On a whim once, I tried to reload some brass Berdan primed cases. One method of taking the primer out involved using something that looked like a bottle opener. That was tedious.

Another method involved filling the case halfway with water and then inserting a tightly fitting dowel into the case and giving the dowel a good tap with a mallet. It did work but what a mess!

Mystic, can't comment on the Federal aluminum cases since I have not fired or seen any out on the range. I saw a few boxes on the LGS shelf but that's it.

Today's Blazer aluminum works really well in my handguns.

Last edited:
I have never had a problem with Blazer in any gun I've tried it in. I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would try to reload the cases though.
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back