Home Internet speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at the new customer prices, they are much better than before, but the rates are subject to increase after 12 months and when you want cable + internet it's somewhat expensive.

a57p1w.jpg

Charter in STL is $29.99!, we do all NMBurb02 listed and then some, 4 kids streaming, 4 adults streaming at random times, and any additional guests, And it never fails us.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Looking at the new customer prices, they are much better than before, but the rates are subject to increase after 12 months and when you want cable + internet it's somewhat expensive.

a57p1w.jpg

I'm also going to point out that does not include any equipment. Figure about $10 per month for a digital box, and $6 for the modem, plus taxes on top of that.

I pay $76 right now for a phone line and the top tier (in my area) 50/5 with TWC right now. It's not quite as reliable as it was in NY, but it's gotten better since I got here, and I get over my rated speed at all times of the day.

3834220391.png

And now (see earlier post):

Cox sent me an email a few weeks ago basically lowering my bundled price $25 and gave...yes, GAVE me the 150/50 Mbps upgrade, three movies channels, and upgraded my home phone package. I had to accept it for two years and the third year would still honored at the new current price. After that it goes up $30 per year for two years. By that time Google Fiber could be installed and I can make the decision of who is the better choice. CHOICE! I can choose!
happy2.gif

I guess they know what is coming and decided to keep customers happy with lower prices with more value. Either that or they felt sorry for charging us the amount they have been for all these years!
09.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Hahaha... look at that ping....

3832602149.png

This is a free internet connection provided by our apt complex. Sometimes it gets really slow when everyone starts using it after getting back from work/school. Sadly, there is no good paid alternative here.

probably a bunch of tools torrenting, or netflix hd

Originally Posted By: JustinH
$46 per month with taxes.. Round Rock Texas.

This is Time Warners medium package, the high speed package is 300mb.

All the companies are moving quickly because google fiber is coming to town.

ok I officially hate Time Warner now, time warner here has 15/1 for 46$ and 50/5 for 100$

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Eric Smith

Ehhh it'll work... keep climbing with each try.

That is quite fast. It it actually noticeable or are the web servers and your browser the choke? I get in downloads however in normal usage any difference?

Wifi via old WRT54GL on Tomato.
(TWC) This is at peak time in the eve and exactly as promised. More than enough for almost all we do...

(the 4G LTE verizon on our iphones is DOUBLE this home speed
smirk.gif
)

We pay for 15/1 through Time Warner, and actually get about 16/1. Plenty fast for us, even for streaming stuff across YouTube, our Roku, etc.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Originally Posted By: Eric Smith

Ehhh it'll work... keep climbing with each try.

That is quite fast. It it actually noticeable or are the web servers and your browser the choke? I get in downloads however in normal usage any difference?

On regular websites don't know.. most of it's cached anyways. After I switched to 64bit Chrome it was a bit quicker. No NIC or switch is 100 percent efficient so they're will always be delay's somewhere!

Haha I'm rocking the cheapest plan TWC offers. Always right around 2.1 down and 1 up. I love my monthly bill that is $15.xx. (I have my own modem)

We just use it to mess around on our phones and a tablet at night. Occasionally we stream some cartoons for our toddler onto the tv at the same time, don't notice any problems.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

a57p1w.jpg

10/1 DSL for $40/month with Centurylink. Plenty for us.

Used to have Verizon 4G for the home which was more like 100/10 but also $100+/month. Didn't need the speed so switched to CL to save money.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
What's your home Internet speed? The wife says our speed is pretty slow at times, we have 15 mbps. We never get the full 15 mbps though.

Get a long enough cable to go from your modem to outside where the demarc box is. If your speed rises and the slowness 'at times' no longer exists, then you have an internal house wiring problem.

3840381742.png

Really the only game in my area. $70/month. 24/2. I clip 10% off the upload at the router to prevent buffering, though.
They don't overrsell their capacity, which is nice. This is evidenced by me getting full speed at 8pm Friday night.

Last edited:
I now have the $15 Crime Warner plan. It's horrible. "Up to 2 MBPS" ... I struggle to get 1 mbps.

Up to 2 megabytes
I get less than 1 megaBIT

Awful.

But cheap!

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I now have the $15 Crime Warner plan. It's horrible. "Up to 2 MBPS" ... I struggle to get 1 mbps.

Up to 2 megabytes
I get less than 1 megaBIT

Awful.

But cheap!

No, it's 2Mb/s. ISPs don't rate in MB/s. They rate in megabits/s. The $15 TWC plan is 2mbit/s down by 1mb/s up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back