Holy cow! 18.6 mpg with 2004 Crown Vic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Any particular reason to get the car? I can't really think of any situation I'd rather drive an old crown vic over an A4? I guess carting goats in the back seat, but I doubt you need to do that very often...

I sold the Taurus X but I still needed something that my 80-year-old mother can get in and out of and which has a trunk that will hold her wheel chair. She's in a nursing home now, so I don't have to worry about taking her to the doctors, etc., as much as I used to, but there are still times when their transport is not available and I have to. Plus, she just likes to get out of there and go for a ride every now and then and she can't get in and out of my Audi (it sits way too low).

That was the "practical" reason for buying the car. The other reason is I've just always liked big, ol' cushy American cars. The very first new car I ever bought was a 1978 Olds 88 Royale when I was 19 years old.

Last edited:
I'd say 18+ for a car of that age and size, with a V8, is terrific!

When I first bought the big Buick Park Avenue with the NA 3800, I was bracing myself for the first fill-up; I thought I'd see something like what you got. But it gave about 22-23 mpg with 70% city driving for the six years I had it. So a big car is not necessarily a gas-guzzler, especially if you take the size of the car and its engine into account. From what I've read here, the low cost of ownership of the Panther will offset much of the fuel costs.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Originally Posted By: G-MAN
Anybody who thinks 18.6 mpg is "horrible" in nothing but short trip, around town driving from a 4.6 V8 in a 4200 lb car needs a serious reality check.
smirk2.gif

I agree....some of the peeps on here are seriously lacking the ability to think.

That was GREAT mpg's for around town. The one I had achieved 30mpg on a highway trip to Arizona and back. I never did compute the city mileage.

Nice car.

I agree with both comments. I have hit 29 MPG consistently on trips from San Diego to Phoenix, once I actually did hit 30. This is driving right around 70 - 75 MPH.

I like the looks of the car and it is comfortable for an old big guy like me to drive. All of the drive train has been extremely reliable - only a few relatively minor electrical problems (which I mentioned in another thread).

I'm looking to buy a low mileage Town Car for the wife and I to make our long trips in.

Last edited:
what is an A4 and how does it compare with this car? the only A4 I know has a hood ornament which looks like Olympics logo!

My 2000 Grand Marquis averages 23 between town and highway and once got 27 pure highway, so I'd say the OP's numbers are about right.

I bought mine because they are highly reliable, relatively inexpensive to repair, easy to work on, and it rides like my living-room sofa at 80 MPH. Could I thrash it around the Nurburgring and think it handled well? Prolly not, but that isn't what these cars were made for. Plus I only paid $3500 for it.

Almost 19mpg around town in a real car is outstanding.
Now, if you want to drive something like this (Honda, Nissan or Toyota not sure) then not so good. This is the deluxe family sedan model. LOL
allAmerican_cruiseCar_48-1.jpg

18 MPG beats or equals my old volvo 940 wagon.

Crown Vics are a hoot to enter into rotaries... the double wishbone front end does a great job. They're a likeable city car with good visibility, turning radius, and respect from other motorists.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
My Buick Century only gets 16 mpg city and always has. Maybe 17 mpg if i drive easy and don't idle.

I had a 2002 Buick Century 3.1 that routinely got 32 mpg on long highway trips at over 70 mph. Mixed city/highway always got me 22-24 mpg. Something is wrong with your Buick.

Sounds pretty decent to me for what it is.
Better fuel economy is always nice, but when you consider that you can pick one of these Panthers up for a lot less money than an Accord in similar condition, the difference in purchase price will pay for the difference in fuel consumption for a long time.
Most of the larger four cylinder cars aren't a great deal more economical in strictly city use, either.
Our Forester might not have dome as well as this Crown Vic.

Anybody who thinks 18.6 mpg is "horrible" in nothing but short trip, around town driving from a 4.6 V8 in a 4200 lb car needs a serious reality check.
smirk2.gif

Agreed. A lot of these "economical" cute ute crossover things people buy won't do that in city driving. This is a heavy, huge, V8 car, not a Honda Fit.

My dad has gotten 28-29 MPG highway in a later Grand Marquis he rented. It was about a 2008 or 2009 model probably. That's what the trip computer was claiming, and my dad didn't believe it, so he checked on the fill ups. It really was hitting 28-29 MPG.

probably not as good as the snyder st-600c I saw at work today.. but good for that car.

my 94 4.6L tbird only got 15mpg winter, 25mpg highway and about 18-20 combined average.

and that was before the supercharger kit.

synder st600c link

Last edited:
smirk2.gif

That is what I get from a slightly heavier and slightly more powerful Acura MDX. Better then I thought.....

Agreed. I'd have been dancing in the streets if my Town Car got 18.6 miles per Imperial gallon around town, let alone 18.6 miles per U.S. gallon. It was very impressive on the highway, but in town, look out.
wink.gif

Starting with 1986 crown vic 96 gm, 03 gm, 06 gm ,I have had the pleasure of owning and driving over 600,000 miles in these great automobiles. Never a major repair the most reliable cars I have ever owned ,all have averaged between 21 to 23 mpg in the every day driving that we do, but it is on the highway on long trips where they shine, on a recent 2300 mile round trip, 26.8 at an average speed between 70-74. Our best was almost 29 in the 96 gm on a 400 mile trip. My 06 gm has recorded a best of 28.3 on an 1100 mile trip to Wi. I also with no reservation love my Grand Marquis and crown vics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back